What determines which lenses get a focus limiter?

Jul 21, 2010
I suspect it’s due to the focusing speed of the lens. A lens that can focus through its entire range very quickly does not get a focus limiter. A lens that focuses somewhat more slowly gets a limiter, and in some cases (superteles), three positions instead of two.

Cost is obviously also a factor, consumer level lenses don’t get them regardless of focusing speed (or lack thereof).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Would be nice to have software based focus limits as well, like fuji already has.
Olympus - and now OM System does as well. It is a game changer for things like Birds in Flight. You can set up multiple focus limiter distances. I have one for close up range saved to a custom mode, and another for distant. The limiter range on the lenses is nowhere limiting enough, in my opinion. My RF 100-500 limiter is 3 meters on the short end. Not really helpful if your bird or wildlife distance is 100 plus feet away. Have suggested this to Canon on one of their forums. Would love to see it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Olympus - and now OM System does as well. It is a game changer for things like Birds in Flight. You can set up multiple focus limiter distances. I have one for close up range saved to a custom mode, and another for distant. The limiter range on the lenses is nowhere limiting enough, in my opinion. My RF 100-500 limiter is 3 meters on the short end. Not really helpful if your bird or wildlife distance is 100 plus feet away. Have suggested this to Canon on one of their forums. Would love to see it.
I'd like the reverse: limit it to 3m and closer. But it's the end of the dragonfly season, so I guess I should start looking at birds till next spring :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I haven't used OM or Fuji, so I don't know how it works.

I thought it could be nice if you manually focus where you think the autofocus should search at and the computer magic does the rest. I don't know if they're already doing this, something similar or if this is even possible.
I think setting limits on a menu screen could be difficult for some people. For me, I know the minimum focus distance for most or maybe all 85mm lenses is 0.85 meters, but I've often found myself too close. So, I know at least, I'm not great at judging that distance.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
what lens do you use on your OM?

Upvote 0