What Do You Want to See in the EOS M System?

My M1 kit is just a small/light alternative to my DSLR system. My DSLR's are almost always my first choice and I just grab my M if I'm looking to go really small or inconspicuous. The ability to use my EF lenses and speedlites is a really big plus for the system.

My main priority for the next M body would be to keep it small, light and inexpensive with a big AF improvement. Additional lenses, ideally fast primes in the 35 to 85mm range would be nice.

Upvote 0
I'm a heretic. Just sold my 60d and a couple L lenses, and went "all in" with an M3, with just a 22 2.0 m mount, 11-22 m mount, 18-135 STM, and EVF.

I fly a lot and ride motorcycles a lot. I left my old camera and lenses at home a lot, too. While IQ was phenomenal, the package was too cumbersome for my environment. Which meant I tried to catch some amazing "on the fly" photos (bears, Bobcats, other aircraft, etc) with either my iPhone or canon s110. Yeah, you can crop in and see they were there, but nothing print-worthy. The IQ of the L lenses didn't do squat sitting back home.

I bought the M3 and tried out the L lenses with it. USM autofocus was too slow. Sad. Very pleased with the 2 m mount lenses, and the 18-135 STM works pretty darn good, too.

So what would I like to see? How about STM on the 70-200L series? That would be mighty tasty for dedicated "known" opportunities.

The 18-135 STM combo fits easily in my motorcycle tank bag for quick access, and sits on my cockpit Dashboard unobtrusively. Nope, it's not an L, but it beats the heck out of my trusty s110. And that 24.2 mp sensor is a beaut!

---Rob

Upvote 0
Unless they introduce an aggressive, balls-out, mirrorless system whose goal is to be king of the hill, I'll probably abandon Canon altogether.

I've owned a 70D, M1 and now have a 6D and an M3. I loved my 70D but I love the IQ on the 6D better. The M1 was just OK, I only purchased it because it was cheap and I wanted something lighter. I've been impressed by the IQ on the M3. It's great if you live in a Canon bubble with a bunch of Canon EF/EF-s glass. Once you start exploring the competitors, you quickly realize just how much the M3 lacks. It's easy to ignore the findings because of your prior investment in Canon glass.

That said, I want to see:

• Full frame mirrorless
    At least 28MP
    IBIS
    Top tier low light performance (Backlit sensor?)
    Ability to use existing Canon glass with above average AF performance and dual pixel AF
    Built-in EVF
    Articulating touch LCD
    4K video
    Headphone jack
    Competitive price (somewhere between the Panasonic GX8 and Sony's A7RII) I'm willing to pay a premium but don't be ridiculous

This might sound like wishful thinking but all the technology exists. Canon's approach of providing only incremental updates is getting old. They need to stop BSing and swing for the fences. Heck, I'd be happy to see that feature set in a DSLR. I'm encouraged by the 6DMII rumors.

Sure, plenty of arguments for why not this or that definitely exist. I think most will agree Canon has been dragging their feet. Another incremental, half-baked update will be an insult to Canon loyalists and probably the last straw for me.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
I use my two Ms (m1, M3) all the time, so obviously I like the overall concept.

Here's what I suggest for future models.

Keep two models, a tiny one like the original M and a bigger one like the M3. The only reason to go bigger than the M3 is for a full-frame.

Stop crippling the video. We all know that Canon can do a 4K camera with clean HDMI. Do they think that they would lose C300 sales to the M3m2?

The M3 replacement should have a built-in tiltable EVF.

If they do decide to go full-frame, then don't mess around. Make a competitor the the Leica SL: give it the toughest body, highest shooting speed , best battery, and best viewfinder. Most of all, make sure it's designed by photographers, for photographers, like the 1Dx. Don't do like Sony and release a half-assed fiddly camera with a tiny battery and Labyrinth-like interface, while holding-back features for the next fiscal quarter's replacement camera.

I am mostly happy with the lens choice. The system could use a wider prime in the 15-18 range. The biggest problem with lenses is that the EF-to-M adapter is overpriced.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Really simple:
1. APS-C: 2 models, one small, dirt-cheap and simple (M10), and one hi-end, sized like M3, but built-in top-notch EVF plus sensor as good as Samsung NX-1/NX-500 plus AF system at least as good as Sony A6000 plus regular EOS UI (not Powershot firmware!). Grip can be a bit bigger to accomodate LP-E6N battery to give it 500+ shots. Price definitely below 999 body only.
Existing EF-M lens lineup is perfectly fine, just add a compact short portrait tele e.g. EF-M 80/2.4 IS STM. Plus a firmware update for the EF/EF-M adapter to provide full AF speed with USM EF lenses.

2. FF sensor: just copy Sony A7 II family, bring 3 FF models - one fast shooting, one hi-rez, one "cine" version to keep the "it must have 4k" crowd happy. Not bigger and definitely not more expensive. To make it a full success bring a sensible line-up of new native short-flange back lenses that are as cheap and optically good as the EF-M ones. Expensive L lenses to be added later on. Make sure Canon RT radio wireless transmitter is built in, next to WIFI, NFC and GPS - all of them switched off by default. And buy the bloody 42MP sensor from Sony, rather than messing about in your own fab.

So easy. just do it, Canon!

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
I want Canon to stop wasting time on the stupid EOS M system and simply release a mirrorless 5D with everything an A7R2 has to offer, plus more. 4K video, high megapixel count and lowlight capability won't come in small sensor compact size cameras. All who don't need good video, a lot of megapixels or lowlight can simply use their phones. Maybe Canon should think about manufacturing phones?
Granted Canon don't make phones, but they do make other things like Printers, calculators, fax, medical scanners, eye testing equipment, so they won't exactly go bust if one or two of us switch to Sony!!

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Bob Howland said:
Canon Rumors said:
<ul>
<li>A larger camera with better ergonomics</li>
<li>Minimize the number of buttons, some of us have big hands</li>
<li>A built-in EVF, the tech is out there for a good one.</li>
<li>A full frame option in the mirrorless lineup</li>
<li>Find some way to make EF lenses work like they do on a DSLR, this is the hard one.</li>
<li>More native lenses</li>
</ul>

2. Fewer buttons? Larger buttons perhaps but not fewer. What would you suggest instead, a touchscreen-oriented, menu driven interface? That's the last thing I want. After using my G7x for 7 weeks and a G10 for 5 years, I've gotten quite used to them.

I never need to change settings outside of ISO and using the play button, the rest of those buttons are useless. There's no need for 11 buttons and a jogwheel, plus 2 dials on top. It even has a touchscreen! The ergonomics of the M3 are lazy and inefficient.

Upvote 0
I actually loved the original m, used with single point on shot af and fw2 it was acceptable, but for video, my main use, af didn't come into it (for me)

The 22mm is a peach, the iq good.

But.

I sold the lesser used of my M's and have just bought my second Panasonic g7, and of course a metabones xl.

I'm loving the g7's. The 7d has went, the 60d may be next.

I'm keeping my ef lenses asthey actually work well via the metabones. Maybe one day Canon will come up with a 4k h264 rebel for g7 money?

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
AvTvM said:
Really simple...
So easy. just do it, Canon!

Easy if they didn't have to worry about pesky things like making a profit.

If they "just did it", profits would be the least of their worries. One could argue that Sony "just did it" .... a few times. All without a negative impact on profits.

Upvote 0
Pretty simple: a full frame camera with an optical rangefinder and available fast lenses, especially a 50mm and a 28. Ideally easily compatible with old FD lenses. Basically, a Leica type system that doesn't cost 10 grand or more.
Hey, let me go crazy and dream up a designated b/w sensor for this - perhaps interchangeable - like an old film back. Now that would be something to get excited about. Otherwise I haven't seen any new cameras or announcements anywhere that make me consider using anything but my 5Dii with mostly my 50L and 135L.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
All of the headline items are great.
A decent mirrorless should be smaller as no mirror box; faster & quieter(silent).
But the depth of the mirror box area is not a problem for my hands/shooting - don't fuss with reducing this dimension - instead leave it and the EF lenses we love.
Or if you must reduce that dimension just supply and active extension tube until you have new lenses available.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
<p>What we want to see in an EOS M camera:</p>
<ul>
<li>A larger camera with better ergonomics</li>
<li>Minimize the number of buttons, some of us have big hands</li>
<li>A built-in EVF, the tech is out there for a good one.</li>
<li>A full frame option in the mirrorless lineup</li>
<li>Find some way to make EF lenses work like they do on a DSLR, this is the hard one.</li>
<li>More native lenses</li>

</ul>
<p>Sound off in the forum</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Sounds good. Like too AF, ideal 4K but at least 1080P, use all EF lens (and possibly EF-S).

Not sure if I want FF or crop. A high crop will great extend long glass but make WA impossible.

How about voice recognition (a la Siri). Wouldn't be nice to be able to say (Camera name F8, increase exposure comp by 1/3 stop, ...). Cameras will need a name to avoid confusion in crowded area. This will reduce battery life but that is the cost.

Why not high FPS (at least in one model).

Some else I would like to see, either in an M body or an EOS body, is auto focus stacking. You pick the 2 end pts and the camera steps focus.

Upvote 0

mpphoto

CR Pro
Dec 15, 2013
I bought an M3 with the electronic viewfinder a month ago. So far, I am pleased with the image quality using the 22mm lens and my EF-S 55-250mm STM with adapter. I find it easy to transfer photos via WiFi to iOS devices. Seems like most people have a hard time with Canon's WiFi and apps.

My biggest complaint about the M3 is its autofocusing in AF Servo and burst mode. It just doesn't continue focusing as the subject moves and you continue shooting frames. I don't expect to use the M3 to shoot a hockey game, but its AF should be able to handle moving cars or animals. Dustin Abbott had a similar issue in his review - see the section with the dog photos.

The build quality could be improved. It sounds like the original M was quite good, but reviews say the M3 is not as good. I've never used the M, so I cannot speak about the differences. The M3 feels alright to me. Not bad, not great. I am concerned about the blue Review button on my M3. It creaks and I do not feel confident about its durability. I think the positioning and number of buttons and dials is just right. Love the dedicated exposure compensation dial.

I'd like to see a small EF-M macro lens. I can use the EF adapter, but when you consider the bulk of that plus the EF-S 60mm or EF 100mm L Macro, I might as well use a DSLR. While pleased with the performance and handling of the EF-S 55-250 with adapter, I just got the EF-M 55-200mm yesterday because of the smaller size.

I have owned a Sony a6000 for a year. It's a decent camera and it does pretty well focusing on moving objects, something the M3 fails at. Sony's E 55-250mm lens stinks compared to Canon's EF-S 55-250 STM and EF-M 55-200. I was impressed by the combo of the a6000 with the EF-S 55-250mm STM on an adapter, even though I had to manually focus. Beside the E 50mm and E 18-105mm G, I'm not a fan of Sony's glass.

I'm not sure if I prefer the a6000 or M3 more. I feel more comfortable with the M3 and find it easier to get good photos with the M3 and my Canon lenses. For my eyes and glasses, the M3's optional viewfinder is easier to use than the a6000's built-in viewfinder. The a6000 lacks a touchscreen (What was Sony thinking?), and I like the M3's touchscreen. However, the a6000 feels more fully-featured and the AF system and 11 fps burst mode beat the M3 handily. The M3 feels like an interchangeable lens version of my G15.

Bernard mentioned the EF to EF-M adapter being overpriced. Not sure where he is, but B&H sells a white box version for $50. I consider that a fair price for a lens adapter.

Upvote 0