what is it with the brits and DSLR cameras?

B

briansquibb

I worked in Fleet St in the 1970s and 80s when the IRA were bombing central London. It was quite normal to hear bombs going off. We just carried on working as normal

I was working for Citigroup on 9/7 when our building was taken out.

Am I going to get upset about due diligence by the cops? You only have to look at the US to see the extra security that has been put in place since 9/7 - makes the UK look very low key.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
briansquibb said:
I worked in Fleet St in the 1970s and 80s when the IRA were bombing central London. It was quite normal to hear bombs going off. We just carried on working as normal

Am I going to get upset about due diligence by the cops? You only have to look at the US to see the extra security that has been put in place since 9/7 - makes the UK look very low key.
+1000

Try being in the cops shoes before complaining.

I live in India and we have also known "terrorists" since before they were called that.

Give the cops a break. They are on your side - unless you want to "terrorize" them...

(I apologize for my spellings - these days I am not sure I should spell one way or another...)

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

rpt said:
briansquibb said:

+1000

Try being in the cops shoes before complaining.

I live in India and we have also known "terrorists" since before they were called that.

Give the cops a break. They are on your side - unless you want to "terrorize" them...

(I apologize for my spellings - these days I am not sure I should spell one way or another...)

I agree being confrontational to the cops is not the right way. As their employers we need to ensure that they are doing the right thing in the right way.

Upvote 0
BillyBean said:
D.Sim said:
Personally, I think if we think about it, if it keeps us safe, can we really complain?
No doubt it will be annoying... but if that one terrorist is stopped.... its done its job

This type of attitude is incredibly dangerous.

If you go down this path, you are basically trusting that the police will always have your best interests at heart (easy to assume in England, but don't forget 1930s Germany).

You are also assuming that the safety justifies anything and everything, which is a bizarre, unbalanced view of the world. How would you like to be strip searched every time you went to the airport?

There is a balance in these things that we have spent the last 800 years trying to codify. Don't throw all this away because you trust the state - this is not about trust, it is about freedom and the law.

Next time, the state may decide YOU are the terrorist. Don't say it cannot happen - it already has - the law just makes it harder in England.

Yes. +10

Upvote 0
It happens in the US too. I was shooting a documentary in Louisiana one time, just 2 people crew using DSLRs and got stopped 5 times a day for a week by police, sheriffs, private security, random rednecks with guns. Always shooting in public places, and always shooting fairly boring things - buildings, streets, rivers, wildlife etc - never even shooting people. We weren't scruffy or ethnic or anything. Always talked our way out of it by explaining the whole project but we got threatened many times. My favorite was the private security guy who came roaring out because we were shooting up a river, from a bridge, and there happened to be some sort of fuel storage somewhere along the river in a line where we were shooting from. Said he was calling the sheriff and to "not move a muscle" with his hand on a gun the whole time. I gave him the card of the sheriff, who had just given us a river tour on a police boat and just said "here's his number - I'm sure he'll remember us as we just left his office an hour ago."

Honestly don't have too good of an impression of the South.

Upvote 0
bluegreenturtle said:
It happens in the US too. I was shooting a documentary in Louisiana one time, just 2 people crew using DSLRs and got stopped 5 times a day for a week by police, sheriffs, private security, random rednecks with guns. Always shooting in public places, and always shooting fairly boring things - buildings, streets, rivers, wildlife etc - never even shooting people. We weren't scruffy or ethnic or anything. Always talked our way out of it by explaining the whole project but we got threatened many times. My favorite was the private security guy who came roaring out because we were shooting up a river, from a bridge, and there happened to be some sort of fuel storage somewhere along the river in a line where we were shooting from. Said he was calling the sheriff and to "not move a muscle" with his hand on a gun the whole time. I gave him the card of the sheriff, who had just given us a river tour on a police boat and just said "here's his number - I'm sure he'll remember us as we just left his office an hour ago."

Honestly don't have too good of an impression of the South.

people suck everywhere my friend, not just the south.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Upvote 0
D.Sim said:
Personally, I think if we think about it, if it keeps us safe, can we really complain?
No doubt it will be annoying... but if that one terrorist is stopped.... its done its job

No it just means that the terrorists have succeeded in causing disruption, which is after all, their aim. they have interfered with people's freedom thanks to governments knee jerk reaction and them feeling that they need to look like they are doing something about it.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

itsnotmeyouknow said:
D.Sim said:

No it just means that the terrorists have succeeded in causing disruption, which is after all, their aim. they have interfered with people's freedom thanks to governments knee jerk reaction and them feeling that they need to look like they are doing something about it.

That might apply when there is only 1 group of terrorists - but here in the UK we have had some 40 years of terrorism from many different groups - hardly a knee jerk reaction from our government

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

pwp said:
Yep the terrorists won. They have successfully created an environment of fear, suspicion and hard laws that restrict personal freedoms and creative enjoyment of the places we love. Warfare has changed and uses new tools.

So come and take a holiday in Australia!

Paul Wright

at least in the UK we dont have creepy crawlies that wait till you drop you pants and sit on the john before they jump out and bite your @rse.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
briansquibb said:
pwp said:
Yep the terrorists won.

at least in the UK we dont have creepy crawlies that wait till you drop you pants and sit on the john before they jump out and bite your @rse.

Pure mythology and rumour. Honestly this wouldn't happen more than once or twice a week. I'm telling you, this place is SAFE.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
pwp said:
briansquibb said:
pwp said:
Yep the terrorists won.

Pure mythology and rumour. Honestly this wouldn't happen more than once or twice a week. I'm telling you, this place is SAFE.

Paul Wright

;D

And most of the time, the things that will bite you when you're busy on the loo... (eg red-back spiders) will let you live long enough to finish doing your business. So what's the problem with that?

Sharks, blue-ringed octopus, box-jellyfish and crocodiles on the other hand....... :'(

another Paul (also in Australia)

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
itsnotmeyouknow said:
D.Sim said:

That might apply when there is only 1 group of terrorists - but here in the UK we have had some 40 years of terrorism from many different groups - hardly a knee jerk reaction from our government

Doesn't matter how many groups there are. The aim of the terrorist is to disrupt and cause restriction to freedom of action to force people to take notice of them. They have at least partially succeeded

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

itsnotmeyouknow said:
Doesn't matter how many groups there are. The aim of the terrorist is to disrupt and cause restriction to freedom of action to force people to take notice of them. They have at least partially succeeded

I have not noticed any difference in my day to day life in the UK. I worked in central London when the IRA was doing their worst and we just carried on as normal - in fact if anything it pulled the country together.

There are some stupid bits - like going though the airports. I queued for over an hour coming in to JFK last time I went to the US

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

pwp said:
briansquibb said:
pwp said:
Yep the terrorists won.

Paul Wright

Until you walk face first into the 3 metre web of a golden orb spider in the pitch black of night with no lights on
:mad:

Upvote 0
H

haqyourlegs

pwp said:
briansquibb said:
pwp said:
Yep the terrorists won.

Paul Wright

I think once or twice a week is still too high for me to be able to handle it. *shudders* But I would love to visit Australia! Maybe one day... ::)

Upvote 0