Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
cosminelfloricel said:
Hello! I own a 5d mkIII 24-70 L II 70-200 L 2.8 II and sigma 50mm 1.4. and also a 600 RX Speedlite
I shoot portaits and events mostly. I was wondering would be the next lens choice for me.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

1. What is the problem with your current lenses?
2. What is your expectation for up coming purchase lens?

If you not sure, then don't buy anymore lenses. PERIOD.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
cosminelfloricel said:
Hello! I own a 5d mkIII 24-70 L II 70-200 L 2.8 II and sigma 50mm 1.4. and also a 600 RX Speedlite
I shoot portaits and events mostly. I was wondering would be the next lens choice for me.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

1. What is the problem with your current lenses?
2. What is your expectation for up coming purchase lens?

If you not sure, then don't buy anymore lenses. PERIOD.

No problem with the current lenses, i was just thinking that maybe getting a new focal length will add some new "compositional opportunities" :)

Upvote 0
It depends on how you see and what you want your results to look like. I normally shoot weddings, events and portraits with two bodies with a 24 on one and a 50 or 85 on the other. For the portraits, I also use a 135 f2. However, when it is time for dancing, I pull out the 16-35 to use with a pair of flashes to get cool shots.

My website if you want to check out the source: http://coryparris.com

Upvote 0
coryparris said:
It depends on how you see and what you want your results to look like. I normally shoot weddings, events and portraits with two bodies with a 24 on one and a 50 or 85 on the other. For the portraits, I also use a 135 f2. However, when it is time for dancing, I pull out the 16-35 to use with a pair of flashes to get cool shots.

Very nice pictures, and thank for the advice. I have one more question for you and for those who shoot primes. Do you shoot at open apertures like f2 or f 1.8 cosidering the DOF. I mean my zooms are great, but some times an extra f stop would be usefull to lower ISO. Thanks and once again, very nice pictures!

Upvote 0
cosminelfloricel said:
Very nice pictures, and thank for the advice. I have one more question for you and for those who shoot primes. Do you shoot at open apertures like f2 or f 1.8 cosidering the DOF. I mean my zooms are great, but some times an extra f stop would be usefull to lower ISO. Thanks and once again, very nice pictures!

That depends on the subject. Much more likely to take advantage of thinner DOF when there is a single subject or when the subject is close to a busy background. The fast primes will give you the option of a thin DOF look and trading DOF for ISO and shutter speed. It is a different type of flexibility than the focal length flexibility of a zoom.

Upvote 0
cosminelfloricel said:
coryparris said:

I usually shoot in the f1.8 to 2.0 range with occasional forays down to 1.4. f2.8 is stopped down for me. :)

I also shot a wedding this year that was 1/60 at f1.8 at ISO 10,000, so the extra stop or two of light is definitely nice at times.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
cosminelfloricel said:

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
EF 16-35 f/2.8 L II or Sigma 35 f/1.4

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.