what's up with the 70-300 range?

Mar 26, 2014
bvukich said:
AvTvM said:
Canon selling a lens as bad as EF 75-300 III in 2016 is a disgrace.

The only reason they still make it, is because it's actually a big seller, despite being a hunk of garbage. Nearly every "starter kit" type rebel bundle has the 75-300 in it. It's the zombie lens that won't die, despite there being MUCH better options for a starting crop shooter.

Where I live, Canon bodies are sometimes sold with Tamron 18-250, or alternatively with Tamron 70-300, as a kit.

Had to check on Amazon to see the 75-300mm lens actually bundles with a rebel body.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
arbitrage said:
Canon has a magical tree that produces 75-300 lenses daily so they just keep giving them away to unsuspecting Rebel buyers :eek:

unsuspecting buyers ... yes!
giving away ... unfortunately no. for the typical target group, it is often truly *hard-earned money*.

canon 75-300 II, III was ok back in the 1990ies as entry level tele zoom for entry level film dslrs. nothing better available at that price point back then ... but in 2016 ... It is a piece of junk on high density image sensors and should really not be sold any longer. it is a disgrace to the canon EF heritage and brand. better alternatives are available.

most to blame are ruthless retailers for bundling canon rebel cameras with cr*p lenses, when decent lenses are available at similar or not much higher prices. it really comes down to taking advantage of unsuspecting buyers, not giving them fair value for their money.

and yes, buyers themselves should also do a little research to avoid such traps.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
lw said:
In the UK, they are virtually giving away the cheapest model

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Lens

Given the choice between using the 75-300 f/4-5.6 III against using the kit lens, putting the camera on 2 second timer, and just throwing the camera generally in the direction of what I want to photograph I would have to have a long think before deciding which would give the better picture.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
jolyonralph said:
lw said:
In the UK, they are virtually giving away the cheapest model
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Lens

Given the choice between using the 75-300 f/4-5.6 III against using the kit lens, putting the camera on 2 second timer, and just throwing the camera generally in the direction of what I want to photograph I would have to have a long think before deciding which would give the better picture.

? ::)

What camera? What "kit lens"?

If "camera" means Canon DSLR with APS-C sensor (xxxxD, xxxD, xxD, 7D / II)
and if "kit lens" means current version EF-S 18-55 STM IS: excellent IQ (for a kit lens) plus IS
No overlap in focal length range with 75-300 - direct comparison not possible.

If "kit lens" means "tele-zoom" then look at current version EF-S 55-250 IS STM : very good IQ and IS
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

way better in every respect compared to EF 75-300 III
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-5.6-III-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
If you care about great image quality and sharp photos, the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens is not for you. And Photoshop cannot enhance details that are not there.

I'll leave you with the word directly from Canon Marketing:
Compact and lightweight 4x telephoto zoom lens ideal for shooting sports, portraits, and wildlife. The newly developed Micro USM makes autofocusing quicker and quieter. The improved zoom mechanism also makes zooming smoother. The front part of the zoom ring now sports a silver ring for a luxury touch.

I love that part about the "silver ring for a luxury touch." :)

In other words: 75-300 III is a real piece of junk. Avoid at all cost.
In late 2016 a disgrace to Canon EF heritage and brand.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AvTvM said:
giving away ... unfortunately no. for the typical target group, it is often truly *hard-earned money*.

when decent lenses are available at similar or not much higher prices. it really comes down to taking advantage of unsuspecting buyers, not giving them fair value for their money.

You are contradicting yourself.
It may be 'not much higher' to you, but the difference in price maybe significant to someone who is looking after their 'hard earned money'. The fact they still sell well suggests that the average punter is not as demanding as you and I are.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Nobody except Canon has real data if/which of their products are "selling well" ... or not.

Non-bundled retail price for EF 75-300 III is pretty much the same as EF-S 55-250 IS II and 75-300 III USM is same price as EF-S 55-250 IS STM.

At both price points, punters would get a LOT more VALUE with EF-S 55-250 for their hard-earned money.

Overview of EU street prices for all Canon tele-zoom lenses: http://bit.ly/2hcXVRn

Upvote 0