What's Your Favourite Product So Far in 2017 From Canon?

FramerMCB said:
The brand new 85mm f1.4ART...oh, darny, darn, darn. That's not a Canon product, it's a SIGMA product. Let's have the Canon version now, but with IS, weather-sealing, and that pretty, bright red ring. And all for only $1,799USD please. Remember the new one is only supposed to be a f1.4 right? So with the current f1.2L (with no IS) selling for around $1,700 - $1,900USD I think this is reasonable. (I also think I'm a wee bit daft to think it will cost less than $2k USD but a fella can dream/wish can't he?)

I don't think IS really needs to cost a lot. In fact it doesn't cost a lot in $199.00 and $250.00 kit lenses, which pretty much all have IS. Counting all the glass and electronics and other items in a $200.00 lens, the IS can't be much.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ScottyP said:
FramerMCB said:
The brand new 85mm f1.4ART...oh, darny, darn, darn. That's not a Canon product, it's a SIGMA product. Let's have the Canon version now, but with IS, weather-sealing, and that pretty, bright red ring. And all for only $1,799USD please. Remember the new one is only supposed to be a f1.4 right? So with the current f1.2L (with no IS) selling for around $1,700 - $1,900USD I think this is reasonable. (I also think I'm a wee bit daft to think it will cost less than $2k USD but a fella can dream/wish can't he?)

I don't think IS really needs to cost a lot. In fact it doesn't cost a lot in $199.00 and $250.00 kit lenses, which pretty much all have IS. Counting all the glass and electronics and other items in a $200.00 lens, the IS can't be much.
And we are seeing 4 or 5 stops worth of IS in those kit lenses....

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ScottyP said:
RiceCanon said:
The only announcement I'm interested in is for the 6D Mark II. I love my 6D but am looking forward to advancements in the next version.

Same here.
Same here....odds are that for me, the 6D2 will be just what the cat needs.......

Upvote 0

fish_shooter

Underwater Photographer
Oct 9, 2013
Alaska
www.salmonography.com
FramerMCB said:

Ditto here. None of the above should have been an item in the poll. I did not even bother to vote.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
IglooEater said:
Wouldn't say the current 6D is a joke... I'm on a 9 point system and have got some fine shines with it. However it certainly is due a refresh. Personally I'd see a 6D mark II selling side by side a 6D, just at different price brackets. Put the 6D at <1K and the 6D II at <2K and both models could be very compelling.
The new 6D should best the Nikon D750 in every way, and the 6D already bests the D610 in most ways.

Hmm...I am interested in a 6D II but much above $2K would get me thinking about a 5DS R.

Yea me too, which is why I specified under 2K. If it's over it'll be a used 5D iii for me.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Canon EOS 77D is my favourite Canon product from 2017. It's a great camera for the price. Will doubtless be reliable & get the job done like many other Canon DSLRs.
40 cross type AF points & a decent sensor are good specs for this line of DSLR.
Plus it bodes well for the future 7DIII & 90D (or possibly that model will be named an 80DII).

Upvote 0

Firillu

Zobb f’sormok
Feb 16, 2017
Pluto
Fortunately I've been a photographer for 30 years. If I was starting out today and wanted to buy something better than my smartphone, I would be utterly confused.

The choice is bewildering, overlapping and incoherent.

I used to love Apple for their minimalistic choice of products, though that's not the case anymore.

Canon is the opposite. They screw a bunch of parts together and call that a new model with some random number, and with naming strategies different across their different product lines.

I assume they did their market research and found that that is exactly what people want.

Upvote 0
While I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the 6D II specs, right now I'm more excited about that M6 announcement. It'll make a fine companion to the eventual 6D replacement whenever that comes out. I usually wait a year or so after releases but I think this year I might just stay up to date! Who knows maybe I'll be more than content with the M6 and old 6D which is still a damn good camera.

Time to start selling stuff.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
ajfotofilmagem said:
olix said:
Definetly 6D mark 2! But with some ovious specs: 4k at 500mbps in motion jpeg format/CFast cards.
6D Mark II with CFast Card?
No way.

I agree. I do not see why everyone these days is so hung up still on CFast cards.. SanDisk ExtremePro and Samsung Pro+ cards are more then fast enough for 4k video and anything photo related a DSLR can throw at it. Heck even Hasselblad only has SD slots in their new 50MP MF X1D. If anything CFast is a turn off for me.

I voted for the 6D2.. Despite it not being out yet. But if I had the option to vote for something that has been announced it would be the new bluetooth remote BR-E1.. I just dislike IR ones.. LOL..

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2014
My favorite Canon product so far in 2017 is the Canon 1dx Mark II, because it's 2017 and we still have the 1dx Mark II available to own if we can procure $6k for it! ;D

The 1Dx Mark III will be amazing when it is announced later this year for a 2018 release!
New patented curved sensor (vignetting control) and 24MP CMOS full-frame sensor with Dual Pixel Autofocus.
Dual Digic 7+ processors and one DIGIC DV4 processor
Improved Dual Pixel RAW
16fps / 18fps live view
100-125,000 ISO (Extended mode: 50-1 million ISO)
Dual C-Fast 2.0 Cards
-5 to +5 EV
100-point AF system with 61 cross-type sensors
500,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor
4K/60p video in DCI format (4096 x 2160 pixels) using Motion JPEG
1080p @60fps, 120fps, 240fps
Electronic ND-filter (2 stops: 1/4th)
Canon LOG + focus peaking
Improved reduced rolling shutter algorithm
New vent and internal fan w/ control
4:2:2 8bit internal (4:2:2 10bit external)
1.62 million dot LCD touch screen
Flicker detection
USB 3.1
Built-in GPS and Wi-Fi with NFC

Attachments

• 1dx Mark III.jpg
    1dx Mark III.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
Upvote 0
ExodistPhotography said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
olix said:
Definetly 6D mark 2! But with some ovious specs: 4k at 500mbps in motion jpeg format/CFast cards.
6D Mark II with CFast Card?
No way.

I agree. I do not see why everyone these days is so hung up still on CFast cards.. SanDisk ExtremePro and Samsung Pro+ cards are more then fast enough for 4k video and anything photo related a DSLR can throw at it. Heck even Hasselblad only has SD slots in their new 50MP MF X1D. If anything CFast is a turn off for me.

I voted for the 6D2.. Despite it not being out yet. But if I had the option to vote for something that has been announced it would be the new bluetooth remote BR-E1.. I just dislike IR ones.. LOL..

+1 about the remotes. I want to stand behind the camera not have to lean over it to get line of sight. I guess smartphone works like that but I prefer a physical button and less time mucking around with apps and phones.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
FramerMCB said:
In the actual poll I picked the M6. Mainly because I think it shows that Canon is serious about their commitment to mirrorless and the M-lineup. Plus it looks like a very good iteration of the M series. I think this would be a blast to take backpacking with the kit lens and maybe the bigger zoom lens. Not a lot of weight, not a lot of space, and in all likelihood, very good image capture. Or just to knock around town and get interesting shots with a relatively small (read: innocuous) package, again delivering fair to excellent results...

Me too. I am so impressed by the M5 so I picked the M6 which is kind of the same. I hope that one day we get a fullframe EOS M with built-in EVF.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
Canon have also made a rod for their back because given the price hike were likely to see with the 6D MKII simply providing Digic 7 with 45 point AF and say the 7,560 RGB-IR metering system and a new sensor likely to be between 24-28MP will not justify the price differential to the 800d / 77D / 80D.

The key differentiator is and will always be the sensor size. In the 6D you're paying for a larger sensor, and all that goes with that (lower image noise, wider FOV, etc). Even if the 6DII was identical to the 80D in all other regards, the sensor would be enough to differentiate them (for some photographers, some types of photography, it doesn't matter, so you go with whatever's cheapest, usually crop; but the 6D is meant to be the budget FF option).

Upvote 0
Firillu said:
Fortunately I've been a photographer for 30 years. If I was starting out today and wanted to buy something better than my smartphone, I would be utterly confused.

The choice is bewildering, overlapping and incoherent.

I used to love Apple for their minimalistic choice of products, though that's not the case anymore.

Canon is the opposite. They screw a bunch of parts together and call that a new model with some random number, and with naming strategies different across their different product lines.

I assume they did their market research and found that that is exactly what people want.

Rather unfair.

By the standards of camera manufacturers, Canon's DSLR naming system (in Europe at least) is about the most coherent. The more digits, the lower the model. Single digit models, the lower the number, the better (7<6<5<1D) Within a line, newer cameras either get a mark II, mark III etc with each refresh*, or they go up a number (50D, 60D, 70D). The only exception is the 77D at this point**; that it's aimed between the XXD and XXXD lines is fairly understandable, although there is a risk of muddying the waters, and I suspect some of the naming conventions will have to change at some point, as they'll reach 900/950/999D-90/99D and have to try something new (assuming those budget lines still exist by then).

*The 1Dx was an exception, for various reasons.
**The 750-760D pair was a little uncharacteristic, with the higher number meaning the better-rated model, rather than the newer one, as they were released at the same time.

Perhaps it's my unfamiliarity with the other manufacturers, but their releases are more confusingly named.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
scyrene said:
By the standards of camera manufacturers, Canon's DSLR naming system (in Europe at least) is about the most coherent. The more digits, the lower the model. Single digit models, the lower the number, the better (7<6<5<1D) Within a line, newer cameras either get a mark II, mark III etc with each refresh*, or they go up a number (50D, 60D, 70D). The only exception is the 77D at this point**; that it's aimed between the XXD and XXXD lines is fairly understandable, although there is a risk of muddying the waters, and I suspect some of the naming conventions will have to change at some point, as they'll reach 900/950/999D-90/99D and have to try something new (assuming those budget lines still exist by then).

Personally I'd prefer the convention "the higher the number, the higher positioned (or newer) is the product. Think of BMW for example ... 118, 330, 540, 750 ... :)

And I find Canon's 3 different "Rebel" naming schemes Asia/Europe/America for the very same products absolutely the worst and most confusing naming scheme ever.

To me, a much less confusing system could look like this:
#### - year of release
X - 1 letter for product category [e.g. D for DSLR, M for mirrorless, P = Powershot, C = Compact ...]
Y - 1 letter or digit for sensor size [e.g. 0 = dwarf-sized, 1 = 1", A = APS-C, F = FF, M = medium format ...]
# - 1 digit for product class [e.g. 1 = "first base" ... 9 = "ultimate"]
## - 2 digits for product, higher number = higher position [assuming Canon won't release more than 99 products in a given category per year].

e.g.
2016-DF-990 = EOS 1DX II
2016-DF-750 = EOS 5D IV
2015-DA-650 = 7D II
2017-DA-450 = EOS 77D
2016-MA-550 = EOS M5
2017-MA-450 = EOS M6

etc. but *stupid* Canon prefers EOS REBELS to KISS our a.. :p ;D

Upvote 0