What's Your Favourite Product So Far in 2017 From Canon?

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Random Orbits said:
slclick said:
pedro said:
I understand the intention of the OP, but as I don't see any "need" for gear acquisition for the moment,
I would say it's the 6D in my hands, along with the Sigma 20 1.4 Art...

Things could change once Canon announces the 6DII,
with 24 MP and a substantial improvement in high ISO above 12.8-51.2 k.
Based on that I could envision a probable purchase sometime mid-2018.

Kr Peter

Not having G.A.S. (for the moment, is a nice feeling isn't it?)
LOL, it's only a temporary respite!

Same here. I've ruled out the M5 and 80D as a 2nd body to compliment my 5D3 so now I just have to wait for the 6D2 announcement and see if that gets the juices flowing. Meanwhile, I can still crop 400 pretty cleanly.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
slclick said:
Random Orbits said:
slclick said:
pedro said:
I understand the intention of the OP, but as I don't see any "need" for gear acquisition for the moment,

Kr Peter

Same here. I've ruled out the M5 and 80D as a 2nd body to compliment my 5D3 so now I just have to wait for the 6D2 announcement and see if that gets the juices flowing. Meanwhile, I can still crop 400 pretty cleanly.

Had the 5D3 as well. Early purchase in August 2012. Lost it due to an assault in July 2015. Insurance paid all except deductible 200 CHF. Went for a 6D in January 2016. Bought it body only as low as 1230 CHF after cashback. So after a 380CHF-ish unsharp 14 f/2.8 Samyang I picked up the Sigma and was a happy camper. No G.A.S. so far here ;-) I am pretty down earth when it comes to new camera bodies. Anyway, I am not shooting that much either these days. And when it comes down to that I'll mostly go out for starscapes.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
pedro said:
slclick said:
Random Orbits said:
slclick said:
pedro said:

Kr Peter

Had the 5D3 as well. Early purchase in August 2012. Lost it due to an assault in July 2015. Insurance paid all except deductible 200 CHF. Went for a 6D in January 2016. Bought it body only as low as 1230 CHF after cashback. So after a 380CHF-ish unsharp 14 f/2.8 Samyang I picked up the Sigma and was a happy camper. No G.A.S. so far here ;-) I am pretty down earth when it comes to new camera bodies. Anyway, I am not shooting that much either these days. And when it comes down to that I'll mostly go out for starscapes.

Sorry about your assault, ugh! The 6D is more than enough camera for many shooters as the 5D3 has quite a bit of features many folks don't use or don't know how to use. I personally want a flippy screen in a FF body for macro work.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
JS5 said:
Dear Canon...
I wish I could say that the new 50 1.4 mm lens was my favorite product of the year. But you won't release it, do you know that you look pretty silly not re-introducing an almost 20 year old lens. Aren't your bosses mad ?
Just keep wondering about all the useless consumer crap you guys put out there... it is baffling, it is mysterious, it is almost funny and it is certainly annoying.
I know the amateur-pro nerds in this forum will probably knock my post down because they are too busy researching bull@*#$ on line about sensors and coatings and some other techy BS, and that is fine but we are busy shooting and working not going from shop to shop to try the new canon versus tokina or whatever.
What we ( working full time photographers ) care about is sharp tools not techy talk.
So dear Canon, I love you but you really make me mad.
Sincerely

JS5

amateur pro nerds....

Upvote 0
JS5 said:
Dear Canon...
I wish I could say that the new 50 1.4 mm lens was my favorite product of the year. But you won't release it, do you know that you look pretty silly not re-introducing an almost 20 year old lens. Aren't your bosses mad ?
Just keep wondering about all the useless consumer crap you guys put out there... it is baffling, it is mysterious, it is almost funny and it is certainly annoying.
I know the amateur-pro nerds in this forum will probably knock my post down because they are too busy researching bull@*#$ on line about sensors and coatings and some other techy BS, and that is fine but we are busy shooting and working not going from shop to shop to try the new canon versus tokina or whatever.
What we ( working full time photographers ) care about is sharp tools not techy talk.
Sincerely

JS5

Yeah buddy, real "professional" of you to cry about a lack of new 50mm 1.4 and then pretty much insult most of the members on this forum. Cheers.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Seems you opened the gates on getting your post knocked down, not for what you said about the lens but for what you labled the rest of the posters on this forum, how to make friends and influence people!

JS5 said:
Dear Canon...
Sincerely

JS5

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
JS5 said:
Dear Canon...
Sincerely

JS5
Let me tell you something about pro photographers.....

We use what works..... and yes, sometimes we use gear that is getting long in the tooth.... Yes, we spend our working hours shooting, not with what some marketing executive deems as "pro gear", but with what does the job and is cost effective. How can you call yourself a pro and then dis "useless consumer crap"? A real photographer uses the right tool for the job and just because something is low cost does not mean that there is no place for it. Is a GoPro consumer crap? Why do formula one teams, with multi-million dollar budgets and dedicated photographers/videographers use them? It is because sometimes it is the right tool for the job!

After we do paid shoots, we have a life..... and for some of us that life involves obsessing about techy stuff, or even taking cat pictures because we want to. (I have never been paid for cat photography) Some of us place the "real gear" into a storage cabinet, go home, and shoot for fun with P/S cameras and even (GASP!) phones!!!! Don't insult people who have made different choices than yours, it only hurts you....

And by the way, I placed an order for some more camera gear this week... a 6D and a 50F1.4.....BECAUSE THAT IS THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB AT A REASONABLE PRICE!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
JS5 said:
Dear Canon...
Sincerely

JS5
Let me tell you something about pro photographers.....

We use what works..... and yes, sometimes we use gear that is getting long in the tooth.... Yes, we spend our working hours shooting, not with what some marketing executive deems as "pro gear", but with what does the job and is cost effective. How can you call yourself a pro and then dis "useless consumer crap"? A real photographer uses the right tool for the job and just because something is low cost does not mean that there is no place for it. Is a GoPro consumer crap? Why do formula one teams, with multi-million dollar budgets and dedicated photographers/videographers use them? It is because sometimes it is the right tool for the job!

After we do paid shoots, we have a life..... and for some of us that life involves obsessing about techy stuff, or even taking cat pictures because we want to. (I have never been paid for cat photography) Some of us place the "real gear" into a storage cabinet, go home, and shoot for fun with P/S cameras and even (GASP!) phones!!!! Don't insult people who have made different choices than yours, it only hurts you....

And by the way, I placed an order for some more camera gear this week... a 6D and a 50F1.4.....BECAUSE THAT IS THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB AT A REASONABLE PRICE!

Well said, Don Haines. Even by not being a pro, same here. My 6D does the job, along with a Canon 50 F/1.4 and the above mentioned Sigma. Always remain in awe when I look at photographs by Capa, Bischof, and especially Frank. Robert Frank while working on his "Americans" used a leica range finder cam, but wow...what an impact the photographs still have after 60+ years. So I always use the gear that does the job for me, and I am done.

Upvote 0
The Rumor is in the Canon Community that more people are becoming less loyal to Canon as Canon is not loyal to their desires and needs. More Canon users have been looking to Sony and Panasonic than ever before when they thought they could only jump ship to Nikon in the past. Sigma class is in the top tier and makes it for everyone...I actually sold some of my Canon L glass and replaced it with Sigma Art glass. I've been a Canon Professional since the 6D was introduced and I left being a Minolta Professional whom had taken very good care of me in the 90's. Sony and Panasonic are making amazing cameras that serve the needs of the modern professional Photo & Video. The professional event and editorial world demands and contracts photographers whom shoot both and Sony and Panasonic are the only two in the last few years whom have given us what we need. I might be photographing a story for The New York Times and they will also require a video or I might be booking a wedding and they want both photo and video. Times have changed, demands have increased as well has competition. Workflow is very important and Canon's DSLR 4k does not work...4k is important because it can act as an unmanned zoom lens in post production cropped to 1080P but with a fast workflow. Canon gave us great auto focus for stills and video, they gave us great video in DSLR, they gave us an appealing warm image, they gave us great low light sensors...now others are as well but in one camera! Thank you Canon for the past innovations and thank you Sony and Panasonic for adapting to our needs!

Upvote 0
eguzowski said:
The Rumor is in the Canon Community that more people are becoming less loyal to Canon as Canon is not loyal to their desires and needs. More Canon users have been looking to Sony and Panasonic than ever before when they thought they could only jump ship to Nikon in the past. Sigma class is in the top tier and makes it for everyone...I actually sold some of my Canon L glass and replaced it with Sigma Art glass. I've been a Canon Professional since the 6D was introduced and I left being a Minolta Professional whom had taken very good care of me in the 90's. Sony and Panasonic are making amazing cameras that serve the needs of the modern professional Photo & Video. The professional event and editorial world demands and contracts photographers whom shoot both and Sony and Panasonic are the only two in the last few years whom have given us what we need. I might be photographing a story for The New York Times and they will also require a video or I might be booking a wedding and they want both photo and video. Times have changed, demands have increased as well has competition. Workflow is very important and Canon's DSLR 4k does not work...4k is important because it can act as an unmanned zoom lens in post production cropped to 1080P but with a fast workflow. Canon gave us great auto focus for stills and video, they gave us great video in DSLR, they gave us an appealing warm image, they gave us great low light sensors...now others are as well but in one camera! Thank you Canon for the past innovations and thank you Sony and Panasonic for adapting to our needs!

Here we go again. Cue the sales stats in 3, 2, 1...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
scyrene said:
eguzowski said:
The Rumor is in the Canon Community that more people are becoming less loyal to Canon as Canon is not loyal to their desires and needs.

In the last 3 years (home and at work) I have purchased Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, GoPro, Fuji, and surprisingly, nothing from Panasonic..... except security cameras....

So much for my brand loyalty. My MO is to get the right tool for the job at the right price (project budgets are not infinite), the brand doesn't even come into consideration except with DSLRs where compatibility with existing lenses is a major factor and the Canon stuff tends to stay Canon and the Olympus stuff tends to stay Olympus...

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
scyrene said:
eguzowski said:
The Rumor is in the Canon Community that more people are becoming less loyal to Canon as Canon is not loyal to their desires and needs.

In the last 3 years (home and at work) I have purchased Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, GoPro, Fuji, and surprisingly, nothing from Panasonic..... except security cameras....

So much for my brand loyalty. My MO is to get the right tool for the job, the brand doesn't even come into consideration except with DSLRs where compatibility with existing lenses is a major factor and the Canon stuff tends to stay Canon and the Olympus stuff tends to stay Olympus...

+1

Sometimes the right tool for a job is a disposable camera.

Upvote 0