Where is the Lens EF40mm F2.8 STM made in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2012
China
Thank you, thank you.

The EF lens L series are MADE IN JAPAN. The current EF 50mm f/1.8 II is made in Malaysia and some EF-S lenses (Just like the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II) are made in Taiwan. For the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, the earlier ones were made in Japan, while the current ones are made in Taiwan.

See the below pics.

Attachments

• 7855623_1306909076661_1024x1024.jpg
    7855623_1306909076661_1024x1024.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,099
  • 7855641_1306909124296_1024x1024.jpg
    7855641_1306909124296_1024x1024.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,116
Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
pdirestajr said:
Shouldn't the lens meet Canon's standard of quality no matter where the factory is? Why does it have to matter?

Exactly.

Although, that said, in my business (water pumps) we (in Australia) recently had a job come from Thailand, we had to design it here (where the design knowledge is), but we had to get the pumps made in the facilities in Singapore, so they would have the "Made in Singapore" nameplate.
Why? Because the Thai government has some policy that they can only buy from local-area manufacturers (we don't have a plant in Thailand, so the closest was Singapore). Makes no difference to the final product, if we'd built it here in aus it would have been the exact same parts (we buy our pump-parts from Singapore anyway), just "assembled in Australia".
(and at the end of the day, all of the profits made go back to Head Office in Europe anyway...)

So sometimes country of origin does matter (even if there's a fair chance that the raw ingredients are imported, there's a fair chance that anything made in Asia these days is using Australian iron ore). That's mostly for governmental policies though, there shouldn't be a quality difference.

Actually, in this case, i'm glad these lenses are made in Malaysia. Note how they're available aready? Note how all the über whites were delayed for over a year? That's the real difference between 'made in malaysia' and 'made in japan'...

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
Although, that said, in my business (water pumps) we (in Australia) recently had a job come from Thailand, we had to design it here (where the design knowledge is),

hmmm thailand... the land of false economy

hear that pluto LNG are STILL redoing all the cryogenic insulation on the entire plants piping that was done in thailand... there were also a truckload of expat supervisors for the uk there "looking after it" I think they might have spent more time in the titty bars than making sure the job was done right :)

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Jun 1, 2011
wickidwombat said:
Dylan777 said:
Price would be $399 if made in Japan
the australian ones must be made in japan then :D

You know anywhere down here that's got them?
B+H are still at pre-order status, $200 + $56 to ship it down here (although while i'm there, I could do with a few more filters and arca-plates and tripod rings etc, I might hit the $1000 customs-limit again)

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
wickidwombat said:
Dylan777 said:
Price would be $399 if made in Japan
the australian ones must be made in japan then :D

You know anywhere down here that's got them?
B+H are still at pre-order status, $200 + $56 to ship it down here (although while i'm there, I could do with a few more filters and arca-plates and tripod rings etc, I might hit the $1000 customs-limit again)
Nah, you tried digital Rev?, probably gonna be the cheapest and they usually get stuff as soon as its out

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Jun 1, 2011
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-40mm-f-2/MTAwMDk0MQ_A_A :(
Still on pre-order there too (and no price).

A mate of mine just went through Hong Kong and picked up his new 5D3, now he's touring the States. I might ask him if he's coming back home via HK, then he can get me a pancake there on the way through (although on price.com.hk it's not showing up there yet either)

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
China
I trust the quality that MADE IN JAPAN and MADE IN GERMANY. The Japanese are so proud with the mark MADE IN JAPAN. I have been seeing too much “Made in China”, "Assembled in China”. The China means low quality, low price, counterfeit and low low low, although I am Chinese. Malaysia is a country that no better than China in manufacture, even worse in Philippines. So I seldom buy the food from the above two countries in China although they are marked with “IMPORTED”.

Upvote 0
H

hoghavemercy

tq0cr5i said:
The China means low quality, low price, counterfeit and low low low,

not all, motherboards, iPhones, RAM and whatnots are great quality and reliability, i've had an ASUS board that i have in the garage that's been running for almost 12 years more than allowed MTBF the last BIOS update was 3 years after i bought it.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
China
hoghavemercy said:
tq0cr5i said:
The China means low quality, low price, counterfeit and low low low,

not all, motherboards, iPhones, RAM and whatnots are great quality and reliability, i've had an ASUS board that i have in the garage that's been running for almost 12 years more than allowed MTBF the last BIOS update was 3 years after i bought it.

Please check your ASUS board and see if it is made in Taiwan. If indeed is in China, you are so lucky!

Upvote 0
Have you checked your iPhone?

I own no iPhone and am not really interested in purchasing one, TBH. Oh, but I have a friend who has one, and just inspected the phone. Guess what? It's a 3Gs and has "Designed in California Assembled in China" proudly written on the rear cover (not hidden beneath it). I believe his is not the only iPhone assembled (read:made) there.

So much exaggerated fear about "Made in Whereizit". ::)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.