Which adapter EF to RF?

XL+

When nothing is going right, go left
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2016
recently: The Tyrol, Austria
The R5 is my next camera. For adapting the Ef lenses I need adapters. I am pleased by the polarizer built in EF to Rf adapter for 10 100-400 II lens and older EF lenses. My two primes do have an built in filtercage.
For these, I will grab another adapter. Th one with the ring is suggested. But can you turn this ring well, if you adapt the R5 with this adapter to the 400mm 2.8 L II and the 600mm 4.0 L II? Or is the distance to small for it?

Reactions: 1 user

GSpix67

Canon EOS R + EF 24-70 f2.8 L MkII
Apr 27, 2019
England
I highly recommend getting the Control Ring Adaptor as it allows you to set the ring as a custom control, such as ISO, exposure comp etc.
I have mine set to exp comp on half press so as not to accidentally keep moving it.
It'll also have the added benefit of you getting muscle memory adjusted for when you add RF lenses which have the extra ring on them.

The ring itself has a very smooth movement with a detente between each click, so it feels very nice in use. I see no reason why it would negatively effect any EF lens regardless of focal length.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I second purchasing the EF-RF adapter with the control ring. For me one of the nicest advantages of the Canon RF ecosystem is being able to change shutter speed, aperture, and iso by turning three separate dials.
Doesn't this advantage of the control ring adapter go away with the R5 and 56 because they already have 3 dials?

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I don't believe so all you do is have a fourth dial which can be assigned to another set of customizable functions. I would rather have more dials that fewer. At least for me having the iso control on the lens is more intuitive and easier to use than on the back of the camera, but that is a matter of personal preference.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I don't believe so all you do is have a fourth dial which can be assigned to another set of customizable functions. I would rather have more dials that fewer. At least for me having the iso control on the lens is more intuitive and easier to use than on the back of the camera, but that is a matter of personal preference.

I'm going to use it for aperture myself--it seems most intuitive because that's actually inside the lens in reality. However, so many people assign it to ISO, that I suspect I may find myself deciding that's better after all.

Upvote 0