Which adapter?

Nov 1, 2012
Since I'm confident I'll get RF body soon-ish, and sounds like the EF-RF adapters are sold out due to R5 popularity.

So I thought maybe I should already buy one. There's several options though, which one should I buy?

Basic one for $99
With ring $199
Filter w/ CPL $299
Filter w/ variable ND $399

I'm kinda thinking about the ring version. But is it really useful? Or would the filter versions be better future proofing?

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
With the R5 and R6 you already have an extra wheel at the back compared to the R or RP, so the control ring may not be that necessary unless they add more functions to it, which they may do later down the line.

On the R5 I use the main dial for shutter speed, rear dial for aperture, top dial for ISO, and then the control ring for AF mode selection. To me this is the perfect set-up, the R5's tracking focus mode works fantastic, but in the event there's a subject that doesn't track well, it only takes a quick hit of the control ring to switch back and forth with regular servo focus.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Good call going with the control ring adapter.

The control ring is super useful with so many functions assignable to it and it can have direction reversed if you prefer. I wish it was not detented audibly by default and requiring $75.00 fee to remove the clicks.

I'm still all EF glass for now, and a bit frustrated that certain RF lenses have the control ring away from the mount, and others near it like the adapter. This seems silly especially with how long it my take most of us to get all cameras and lenses onto RF mount.

So far I like the control ring best as aperture control, since it is much like my manual lenses and very intuitive. I can also now set the back dial to other purposes if desired, since I find that one harder to reach without changing grip than the two top dials anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
The control ring adapter sounds useful, but then I realized that I don't bother to use the control ring on my RF 35mm lens. I see that a clone just hit the market for $100. There are no independent reviews yet. I did not want to be first.

I have the basic one, its fine for me.
Yeah that is the one I got also. Out of stock when I ordered R5, but a few came in and I got one. May get a filter version for the ND capability, but gotta wait for budget to recover. :giggle:

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It arrived yesterday and appears unused, possibly it was a freebie that came as part of a deal with a body.
I've used mine extensively with my R, but It would be hard to tell it was used. perhaps scratches on the contacts?

I have a link to the Canon USA refurbs on my desktop. Right now, I just see this::(

canon hacked.JPG

Upvote 0