Which adapter?

Nov 12, 2016
When I first got the R, I thought the control ring adapter would be the one to get. But I found myself not using it. Eventually I found a decent deal on the basic adapter, and I've stuck with that one since.

Also, something I haven't seen talked about, and a big thing that turned me off on the control ring. Does anyone else feel like the ring is just too easy to turn? I didn't want to assign an important setting to it for fear I would accidentally bump it and throw off my settings.

Last, like someone else said, with the added wheel on the R5, it just makes the control ring that much less important to have.

I'd say go for the basic or the filter adapter, unless there's a setting that you can assign the ring to that you think would really help your shooting style. Be aware that the number of things you can assign the ring to is somewhat limited though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
What are the options you can assign on the ring?
Exposure comp (hold meter button to adjust)
Tv (hold meter button to adjust)
Av (hold meter button to adjust)
ISO (hold meter button to adjust)
Flash exp comp (hold meter button to adjust)
AF method (hold meter button to adjust)
Mode select (hold meter button to adjust)
While balance mode (hold meter button to adjust)
White balance Kelvin (hold meter button to adjust)

And then you can do all of those without having to hold the meter button to adjust them.

You know actually maybe some of those are useful. Again I think I was just turned off by how easy the dial is to turn, but I guess if you set it to requiring holding the meter button to adjust it, maybe it's ok.

Maybe I'm changing my tune on the control ring. But I would still need to find which one of those I'm dying to be able to adjust quickly, and get used to using it for that.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mine changed to back ordered today, however, they charged my card. Something is messed up.
12 days later, no sign of the adapter. I did buy the $100 3rd party Viltrox adapter. It works well. I don't see a issue with turning the control ring accidently. If you need a adapter, its a reasonable option, its not up to Canon standards, but its better than I expected.

Upvote 0
Since I'm confident I'll get RF body soon-ish, and sounds like the EF-RF adapters are sold out due to R5 popularity.

So I thought maybe I should already buy one. There's several options though, which one should I buy?

Basic one for $99
With ring $199
Filter w/ CPL $299
Filter w/ variable ND $399

I'm kinda thinking about the ring version. But is it really useful? Or would the filter versions be better future proofing?
I did exactly that...went my local camera shop in bought the basic Canon version. 1 month ago. Got the R6 today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you're willing to pay the "scalpers" their due, any of the adapters can be found on eBay... A couple of weeks ago I paid $165 for the basic-flavor of Canon EF to R adapter when I got tired of checking my order status at B&H 3-times-a-day... Paying a 65% premium to get-it-now may be a bit extreme (that's why I just opted for the basic adapter), but at least get to play with my stable of EF-glass on the R5 while B&H works on my backorder...

Upvote 0
If you're willing to pay the "scalpers" their due, any of the adapters can be found on eBay... A couple of weeks ago I paid $165 for the basic-flavor of Canon EF to R adapter when I got tired of checking my order status at B&H 3-times-a-day... Paying a 65% premium to get-it-now may be a bit extreme (that's why I just opted for the basic adapter), but at least get to play with my stable of EF-glass on the R5 while B&H works on my backorder...
[/

well the Viltrox version worked very well for me. $45 received my Canon version yesterday. Sold the Viltrox today.

Upvote 0