Which camera brand you actively use, other than Canon?

Which camera brand do you actively use, other than Canon?

• Nikon

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 19 16.1%
  • Sigma

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fujifilm

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Leica

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Samsung

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Pentax

• Olympus

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Panasonic

• Ricoh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hasselblad or other medium format

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • I only use Canon

Votes: 27 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fujifilm. I brought the X10, as well as my 5D2, to London last summer. While the handling was great, the image quality wasn’t even close to the DSLR. This was of course expected since it’s a compact camera, but I ended up selling it. I’m picking up the X100 tomorrow and can’t wait – hoping the image quality will match the handling.
Within the last year, I’ve also owned a Sony NEX and a Samsung NX-camera, but they just didn’t feel right. I like optical viewfinders.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Have a 5DIII and lenses listed below...but as a complement to that system...when I don't want or need to carry the "Big Gun"..I have a full MFT kit with an Olympus OMD and a Panasonic GX1 and ten lenses for them ...fisheye to 350mm..GREAT little system, truly.
If Fuji would get it's act together with the auto focus on their ILC's like they just did on the X100s, by adding phase detection (which greatly increases the speed and accuracy), I would consider selling off my MFT gear and purchasing an EX1s and all of Fuji's existing lens line, plus a Sam Yang Fisheye...that would be a great kit to own!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
As an owner of 5D III, 50L, 16-35 f2.8 II, 24-70 f2.8 II and 70-200 f2.8 IS II - believe it or not, my go to camera now is Sony RX1. So small and it takes amazing photos

I really wish Sony or Fuji comes out FF sensor camera build in P&S body size(like RX1) that allow switching lenses. If they do, I'll sell all Canon oversized gear and settle for smaller gear. Just give me some pancake lenses: 14 or 16mm on wider, 35 or 50mm ave, and 135 or 200 for mid.

Here are some photos from RX1:
http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/nkq0gb6m/1/5981795

Upvote 0

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
Panasonic GF3

Great when an DSLR is too big.

[quote
Here are some photos from RX1:
http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/nkq0gb6m/1/5981795
[/quote]

Cool pictures. We have a similar place in Rochester, NY called the Museum of Play.

I took my GF3 there and it was the perfect fit. I didn't want to haul around a DSLR while chasing two kids. The GF3 comfortably fits in the pocket of a light coat, even with a zoom lens. It focuses relatively quick and the live view makes it easy to take pictures at odd angles. I saw a lot of parents walking around with DSLR and I did not regret my choice. On other trips I took the DSLR and it was all good, too, but for those types of events I really think the mirrorless cameras are great. I use my DSLR far more, but I love the GF3 when you don't want a big camera.

My co-worker just went on a two week trip. He has a Nikon DSLR and a Olympus DSLR as well as 2 MFT Olympus cameras. He took the MFTs and one of the DSLRs and said he never pulled out the DSLR. He loves his MFTs.

A stat in the recent photo mag said something to the effect of 2/3 (or something) of MFT owners have DSLRs. Not sure if those are folks using the MFTs as a second camera as myself or those migrating away. I took it as the first scenario when I read it, but in retrospect, could be either I suppose.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
mrsfotografie said:
unfocused said:
neuroanatomist said:

Yes, I noticed that was conspicuously absent from the list, although I'm pretty sure it is the best selling camera in the world.

It's a phone that takes pictures, is it not? ;)

More of a camera that makes phone calls.

Upvote 0
I have been using a panasonic mirrorless for quite some time now (GF1 and now GX1) for when I want to travel with a much lighter and smaller set of kit. I have been considering moving to the Sony mirrorless (Nex6 or Nex7) due to the better (and built in) EVF but I really like the smaller micro 4/3 lenses.

Waiting to see if Canon will ever really try to compete in the enthusiast mirrorless area but so far it feels like they don't want to really try in this area.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
kidnaper said:
I too would like the option for two choices. I use my Olympus TG1 for watersports and bring it along whenever things are going to get bumpy. I reach for my 5D whenever 35mm won't do. But my x100s is with me about 75% of the time.

Hi Kidnaper,
How do you like your new x100s? You have any photos taken with x100s under low light? I'm interested to buy one. Thanks in advance, Dylan

Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA
beckstoy said:
Is there another camera worth my time other than Canon..?

... ;D ...

To each his own. In addition to my Canon gear (growing unused at present), I use my Nikon D800E most, then the D800, and I carry on my belt the Nikon S800C for when I need to use the internet directly or use the S800C to transmit my SD card data from the bigger Nikons to the internet. I also use an ASUS table that has 1920 x 1080 screen for a wonderful image and that has a built in SD reader/writer in the keyboard as a fully functional USB port that I can hook on a portable hard drive with 500GB or more of storage for when I'm on the road. I could use multiple externals if I needed more space. Just don't try to use the camera on the Asus tablet because the shots are pretty bad. My D7100 just shipped today that will take the place of my beloved 60D (with the exception of the low level macro shots that are greatly helped with the tilt screen).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.