Which Canon lens is most in need of updating.

Jul 21, 2010
Refurb7 said:
jolyonralph said:
1. 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro (1987 design!)

Oh goodness, yes! That has to be the OLDEST. It's coming up on THIRTY years. A good lens but that focus motor is just so noisy and buzzy! Come on Canon ...

I think that's the oldest lens that's still 'current', but maybe that one should just die a natural death (like the 135mm f/2.8 SF that was released the same year). For APS-C users, the EF-S 60/2.8 macro is a better choice, and since the 50/2.5 CM needs the life size converter to achieve 1:1, the 100mm non-L macro is probably a better choice there, as well.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
chrysoberyl said:
neuroanatomist said:
Which three do I want updated?
1. MP-E 65mm f/2.8
2. EF 135mm f/2L
3. TS-E 90mm f/2.8

How would you have the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 updated? I don't own this one yet, but I am impressed with it's range and sharpness.

You're right, it's a good lens in its current form. It could use modern coatings, as some contrast is lost to internal ghosting, particularly since it's often used with flash and that sometimes means specular highlights. The tripod ring could be s bit smoother.

I would add, increase the number of aperture blades/make them rounded (hexagonal OOF highlights are a little ugly), and include some sealing (it does rather pump air/dust).

Otherwise I guess my choices would be the 180mm macro (bump it to f/2.8 and add IS), and I suppose the 50mm f/1.4 (I loved it at first, but it is soft wide open, and the CA is a pain), and maybe the 85L (not sure how feasible, but changing it from being focus by wire, and reducing CA wide open if possible).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
chrysoberyl said:
neuroanatomist said:
1. MP-E 65mm f/2.8
2. EF 135mm f/2L
3. TS-E 90mm f/2.8

How would you have the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 updated? I don't own this one yet, but I am impressed with it's range and sharpness.

You're right, it's a good lens in its current form. It could use modern coatings, as some contrast is lost to internal ghosting, particularly since it's often used with flash and that sometimes means specular highlights. The tripod ring could be s bit smoother.

Noted and thanks. It's good to hear opinions of this lens, since there seem to be few opinions out there. If upgraded, I probably could not resist buying it.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Many possible lists...

Which three do I think 'most people' want updated?
1. EF 50mm f/1.4
2. EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8
3. EF 85mm f/1.8

1. MP-E 65mm f/2.8
2. EF 135mm f/2L
3. TS-E 90mm f/2.8

Which three does ahsanford want updated?
1. EF 50mm f/1.4
2. EF 50mm f/1.4
3. EF 50mm f/1.4

What's wrong with the current MP-E?

Upvote 0
For me it would be:

1) 180 macro: I'd buy it if it was as good as the 100L macro which I have. I have the Milvus100 which blows away the canon 100L macro so the 180 is just too soft for a macro lens. Make it 150 with IS Canon and make it as good as the 100L macro

2) 135L: also here I have the APO-Sonnar 135 from Zeiss which really shows the massive difference between the two. Make it better and with weather sealing Canon. I don't need IS here, better make it f/1.8 instead of f/2

3) 50mm f/1.4 :-X

Upvote 0
niels123 said:
For me it would be:
1) 180 macro: I'd buy it if it was as good as the 100L macro which I have. I have the Milvus100 which blows away the canon 100L macro so the 180 is just too soft for a macro lens. Make it 150 with IS Canon and make it as good as the 100L macro

Why not make it sharper than the 100L? I have the Sigma 180 2.8 and am pretty happy with it, but an upgrade to the Canon 180 with TC compatibility, current AF, hybrid IS - what a great multi-function lens for hiking! And...maybe 2X magnification?

And a longer throw - 150 degrees would be nice. That and quick AF would be a challenge for the engineers, but Canon has good engineers.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Haydn1971 said:
I nes I'd expect upgraded next
70-300mm L - preferably to work with extenders
200mm f2.8
300mm f2.8
400mm f2.8
800mm f5.6

The 70-300L is a young lens, unlikely to be updated. Taking extenders would mean making it physically longer, and one of the main advantages it offers over a 100-400 is its smaller size.

The 200/2.8 is 'old' but has a place as an 'inexpensive' long+fast lens. Given the 70-200 zooms, I'm not sure we'll see an updated 200/2.8 anytime soon.

The 300/2.8 and 400/2.8 were updated to MkII relatively recently and are excellent lenses – I really don't see them being updated anytime soon. I could see a 300/2.8 DO lens, though.

The 800/5.6 was not updated along with the 300-600mm lenses, the 600 II + 1.4xIII beats the 800 for IQ (and is lighter and cheaper), and Nikon recently came out with their own 800/5.6. So, of all the lenses on your list I think this one is the most likely to see an update (along with the 200/2, which also skipped the MkII update).

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
neuroanatomist said:
Refurb7 said:
jolyonralph said:
1. 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro (1987 design!)

Oh goodness, yes! That has to be the OLDEST. It's coming up on THIRTY years. A good lens but that focus motor is just so noisy and buzzy! Come on Canon ...

I think that's the oldest lens that's still 'current', but maybe that one should just die a natural death (like the 135mm f/2.8 SF that was released the same year). For APS-C users, the EF-S 60/2.8 macro is a better choice, and since the 50/2.5 CM needs the life size converter to achieve 1:1, the 100mm non-L macro is probably a better choice there, as well.

The 50 2.5 CM filled 2 niche markets for which I don't think there is a direct alternative in the canon lens lineup: product photography and document/artwork reproduction. I'm not sure this lens is as important for these niches anymore but they are certainly the reason they kept the CM around for so long.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
I think these are probably the lenses Canon should update soonest:

- 50 f1.4 (if they go 50 f2 IS - I immediately lose interest. I find the 50 f1.8 STM is a good lens but the working distance to bokeh ratio (I'm sure there is a term for this) is not good enough, and external focus on a small prime is super annoying, and the focus by wire is terrible)
- 85 f1.8
- 85 f1.2
- 50 f1.2
- 135 f2

I'm not a portrait photographer but, I think Canon is severely lacking in modern standard/portrait primes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
j-nord said:
The 50 2.5 CM filled 2 niche markets for which I don't think there is a direct alternative in the canon lens lineup: product photography and document/artwork reproduction. I'm not sure this lens is as important for these niches anymore but they are certainly the reason they kept the CM around for so long.

Arguably, the TS-E lenses (90mm or 45mm depending on subject size) are ideal lenses for product photography – tilt allows DoF control that eliminates the need to use really narrow apertures that cost sharpness, and with a short extension tube the magnification gets close to 0.5x.

Agree on the 50/2.5 CM being great for copy work, but as you say that may be less common than in the past (personally, I use the 100/2.8L for that sort of thing on the rare occasions I've needed to do it).

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
neuroanatomist said:
Arguably, the TS-E lenses (90mm or 45mm depending on subject size) are ideal lenses for product photography – tilt allows DoF control that eliminates the need to use really narrow apertures that cost sharpness, and with a short extension tube the magnification gets close to 0.5x.

Tilt-shift lenses for product photography? And I always thought that focus stacking is the way to go for that matter.

For me, the Canon EF 20mm 1:2,8 USM is the one that should get an update. I almost bought it, but didn't do so because of its massive field curvature problems, especially wide open. Otherwise, it is a great compact lens for under 500 bucks without the super-heavy-weight of a Sigma 20 Art for example.

The very closest modern lens to this one is the EF 24mm IS USM. It's also very small and lightweight, but still no 20mm. Will Canon ever offer one in this price range?

Upvote 0