Which do you prefer?

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
So here is a screen shot from two different cameras. I have processed both to be 'optimal', that is not the same processing to both just the best I could do for each.

Which do you prefer and are you concerned about the differences?

View attachment 186138
I prefer the one on the left. The colour noise in the grey areas is much less obtrusive. There might be a bit less detail but the lack of noise stands out, the lack of detail I have to look closely for.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Not so easy to decide but I would take the image on the right, despite the extra noise in it compared with the image on the left. The image on the right seems sharper and the colours seem a little more vibrant, which in the end I prefer even though the extra noise in the image is not nice. (Given the extra sharpness in the image on the right, and what you have said about optimally processing both images, I assume we are not looking at the same image with more enlargement on the right. If that was the case, it could perhaps explain the appearance of more noise, but I would expect it to be less sharp or at least no sharper.)

That said, looking at the images in your second post, the discolouration/blotchiness in the image on the right is very unpleasant. For that post I might choose the image on the left, even though I prefer the sharpness and colours of the image on the right.

Am I concerned about the differences? Not really. The images on both sides have enough problems (particularly noise) that neither image is something I would be very keen to use. I would be interested to see if there was any noticeable difference if you printed the two images. Based on the first of your posts, I think the image on the right would probably look slightly better, but after seeing the discolouration/blotchiness in the image on the right in the second image, I am certainly not confident about that. (And of course, once we start talking about printing, a whole range of additional considerations come into play, such as paper, inks, etc, so at best I am talking in general terms.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Interesting input guys, if you like I'll leave it running for tomorrow and then say what is what.

My thoughts, on the top crop I much prefer the purple jacket in the left image along with the yarn of the trousers, and I much prefer John's glasses in the right image. For the lower crop I hate the color noise blotches in the right image but like the definition of the numbers far better in that right side than the left side.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
With the lower crop I prefer the numbers and the C Y M on the right side, on the gray scale I totally dislike the green tinge and prefer the left image. Just a guess but I think the image on the left came from a lower resolution camera and you had to enlarge it to match sizes. :geek:
My guess is the image on the left is from a SoNikon Exmor sensor camera, and the image on the right is from a 5DS or 5DSr :)

Upvote 0
On the left images, there are stare-cases on the diagonals, as if the image has been upscaled by bicubic.
On the right images, there are a lot of moskito noise on the transitions, as if the image has been highly compressed.
The color noise and drift is also far more important on the right images compared to the left images.
The details are more important and the transitions are sharper on the right images compared to the left images.
Which one do I prefer? Difficult to say as both have been highly processed. May be the left one at reduced size.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I thought there are some interesting observations. I could have gone further with both, resampled rather than zoomed, desaturated grey areas to lose some color castes etc but I think it is an interesting comparison. My biggest takeaway is that I don't like the false colors on the right and the left stands up remarkably well in the detail department but doesn't have the detail the right one has. Personally on balance I prefer the left.

They are both obviously from the DPReview studio test images, both are the RAW files, the one on the left is the 1DX MkII reproduced at 3:1 and the one on the right the 5DSr at 12,800 ISO reproduced at 2:1, so both unfeasibly large enlargements.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I thought there are some interesting observations. I could have gone further with both, resampled rather than zoomed, desaturated grey areas to lose some color castes etc but I think it is an interesting comparison. My biggest takeaway is that I don't like the false colors on the right and the left stands up remarkably well in the detail department but doesn't have the detail the right one has. Personally on balance I prefer the left.

They are both obviously from the DPReview studio test images, both are the RAW files, the one on the left is the 1DX MkII reproduced at 3:1 and the one on the right the 5DSr at 12,800 ISO reproduced at 2:1, so both unfeasibly large enlargements.
I was right about the resolutions. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. :) The 5DSr native ISO only goes up to 6400 ISO, so 12000 is definitely pushing it. On mine I have Auto ISO with a Max of 6400, I need the shutter speed on occasion, but even then it needs some noise reduction. And of course I lose some detail but at least I get the shot. With 50 MP I can afford to lose some detail unless it's for a large print.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It wasn't that I was particularly interested in the 12,800, it was more about finding the point where it breaks down and you can really see the different compromises. I am rarely detail limited but hate the efforts I have to go to and loss of IQ the blotchy color causes more than I like the resolution.

I'm actually working on a few DPReview studio comparison RAW files to see if my natural inclinations do translate to actual real world comparative tests. It's an interesting exercise considering we rarely get different models of camera we are interested in to test and compare in same type test images.

I am very color orientated, being in my mid 50's my resolution isn't up to a younger generations, so I made custom camera profiles from the color checker in each test image and the color issues in the 5DSr reminded me of my 1DS MkIII's which was the main reason I upgraded to 1DX MkII's, I do just lust after that resolution sometimes and the price of the end of line 5DS/r's is so tempting especially considering the high resolution R will be a premium product and command high prices for a while after release...

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Private, go for it, you won't be disappointed, especially as you understand that IQ is output size related !

Incidentally I was going to say 5Dsr even though it was clearly high ISO though your processing to achieve that output size is impressive.

So whilst we are on the subject and in the market for an excellent 5Ds / sr, which do you prefer of these images ? All at 100 ISO. 101.jpg101.jpg100.jpg103.jpg100.jpg103.jpg

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Private, go for it, you won't be disappointed, especially as you understand that IQ is output size related !

Incidentally I was going to say 5Dsr even though it was clearly high ISO though your processing to achieve that output size is impressive.

So whilst we are on the subject and in the market for an excellent 5Ds / sr, which do you prefer of these images ? All at 100 ISO. View attachment 186143View attachment 186143View attachment 186144View attachment 186145View attachment 186144View attachment 186145
The first one.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ha, I think you have got me. I can't tell the difference between 1,2,5 and 6. 3 and 4 seem to have a hair less detail than the other 4 but seem the same as each other.

If you asked for a guess I'd say there are only two images 1,2,5,6 are the same and from a 5DSr, 3,4 are from a 5DS.

Picture numbers
1 2
3 4
5 6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
So here is a screen shot from two different cameras. I have processed both to be 'optimal', that is not the same processing to both just the best I could do for each.

Which do you prefer and are you concerned about the differences?

View attachment 186138
I got the same raw files, at ISO 12800. I processed them in Capture One 11. The 1D MK II is on the left, 5DSr on the right. I think I like the 5DSr in both of them. It is kinda close though.
BeatlesComp.jpg

CMY-Comp.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think the biggest take away is that the differences are so small from ostensively very different sensors.

I got the same raw files, at ISO 12800. I processed them in Capture One 11. The 1D MK II is on the left, 5DSr on the right. I think I like the 5DSr in both of them. It is kinda close though.
View attachment 186152

View attachment 186153

Upvote 0