Who would like to see a RECESSED sensor camera using the new APS-C sensor? Retrograde fixed lens. Hear me out

How about the new Canon APS-C sensor being used on RF-S but in a retro fixed lens package?

The reason to jam the sensor back is so you can use the frontal area behind the mount for lens optics. This is how the Fujifilm X100V accomplishes such a fast lens inside a pancake profile. Half of the F2 lens on the X100V is jammed behind the camera and the sensor is positioned near the back screen.

Now granted with Canon technology they're able to make the EF-M 22-2 pancake with a small profile and retain F2 aps-c speed on a normally-placed ILC sensor flange. So imagine what they could do with a recessed sensor using a fixed lens? May be able to even put the lens entirely in the body and create an electronic cover (we can dream can we) but honestly i'd take a small pancake profile lens but minimally F2 speed RETRO steel, retro dial X100V type camera from Canon. What do you guys think? Everyones doing the retro thing so lets see Canon do it next! Optical viewfinder too!

Stop liking things that I don't like! Grrr! Grrrrr!
Sounds like someone who's never used an X100 series camera. I own one and it's fantastic. The X100 line has a very large and dedicated fanbase who can appreciate dedicated physical controls, a rangefinder-style optical viewfinder, and a great lens mated to an APS-C sensor all bundled into light, portable form factor. Canon has a long history of compact cameras in its PowerShot line so I don't see how this would be any more of a cash grab than that. A good fixed-lens EOS could attract a lot of people to the brand if it's designed well and priced competitively.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Given the current climate for sales and component shortages, Canon has been concentrating on selling higher end cameras that bring in more profit. A major chunk of profit comes from lenses so that drives decisions about products as well.

Expensive large aperature lenses are a smaller market than DSLR's , having to share it with several companies is not the best use of Canon't resources right now. If components become available and we don't see a worldwide major recession, then it might happen.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I guess the PowerShot G1 X hasn't sold enough for Canon to attempt such a camera.
The G1XIII is a superb little camera, the more I use mine the more I appreciate it. I’m really surprised that on a site like this more people don’t have any love for it as we hear a lot from people who like their G5X.
The G1XIII got some negative press due to its lens range and speed, and also some comments that the lens is soft. It isn’t. However due to the tiny size of the camera, it’s genuinely pocketable in a lightweight type jacket, and having a zoom lens, it’s a different proposition to a 100V or Ricoh if you want relatively shallow dof.
As for the amount that Canon have sold I wouldn’t know, but looking at the serial numbers it may be more than you think.
I had the original G1X whilst I had the M system but after getting the III I found I just didn’t use the M5 and associated lenses so sold the lot. So for my shooting now it’s either G1XIII or FF.

Upvote 0

troppobash

CR Pro
May 29, 2014
The G1XIII is a superb little camera, the more I use mine the more I appreciate it. I’m really surprised that on a site like this more people don’t have any love for it as we hear a lot from people who like their G5X.
The G1XIII got some negative press due to its lens range and speed, and also some comments that the lens is soft. It isn’t. However due to the tiny size of the camera, it’s genuinely pocketable in a lightweight type jacket, and having a zoom lens, it’s a different proposition to a 100V or Ricoh if you want relatively shallow dof.
As for the amount that Canon have sold I wouldn’t know, but looking at the serial numbers it may be more than you think.
I had the original G1X whilst I had the M system but after getting the III I found I just didn’t use the M5 and associated lenses so sold the lot. So for my shooting now it’s either G1XIII or FF.
I still use my G1XII for travel - takes great photos when used within its capability - equivalent zoom 24-120mm and yes only 12.8 MP and 1.5" sensor.
It was criticised for software correction of photos in camera, in the days when that was less common in canon, sony and nikon

Upvote 0