Why R5 Mechanical shutter shock so serious? Amost makes it useless.

What were your shutter speeds? The first shot has a much higher component of flash in it.
f1.8 1 at 125s, flash was at my other hand just the angle is different, I took near 100 photos with or without flash the same issue , doing portrait photoshoot for 10years after a couple of shots I found there is something wrong with it

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
f1.8 1 at 125s, flash was at my other hand just the angle is different, I took near 100 photos with or without flash the same issue , doing portrait photoshoot for 10years after a couple of shots I found there is something wrong with it
I presume you haven’t been doing it for ten years with a 45mp camera handheld? As dcm says, what focal length and what crop are we looking at?

I’m not saying there isn’t an issue, but you need to address any technique or expectation issues before we move on to camera issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I had similar issues with the M6II and characterized it a year ago (mechanical vs electronic shutter) on a variety of lenses during the holiday break. Some lenses exhibit this far more than others (zooms and IS). I'd expect the R5 to exhibit this more than the R6/R3. Not sure the R6 and the few RF lenses I have will paint much of a picture.

Upvote 0
I presume you haven’t been doing it for ten years with a 45mp camera handheld? As dcm says, what focal length and what crop are we looking at?

I’m not saying there isn’t an issue, but you need to address any technique or expectation issues before we move on to camera issues.
85, 100 prime and 70-200, I am just comparing EFCS vs MS VS 5Dm3 only with mechanical shutter, photos are totally unusable on MS

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
85, 100 prime and 70-200, I am just comparing EFCS vs MS VS 5Dm3 only with mechanical shutter, photos are totally unusable on MS
So you are handholding, with one hand, a 70-200 @ 1/125 second while dragging the shutter/mixing flash and ambient, but you still are not telling us the crop that you are showing, show us the whole frame so we can see the crop.

Personally I don’t see a camera issue yet, again I’m not saying there isn’t one just that the images you have posted don’t fully support that.

Upvote 0
So you are handholding, with one hand, a 70-200 @ 1/125 second while dragging the shutter/mixing flash and ambient, but you still are not telling us the crop that you are showing, show us the whole frame so we can see the crop.

Personally I don’t see a camera issue yet, again I’m not saying there isn’t one just that the images you have posted don’t fully support that.
100% but it doesnt mater as both crop are identical. Canon accept and agreed it is a faulty camera, based on what you say it is not???

Upvote 0
How can you crop a 5DIV and an R5 both to 100% and the enlargement is the same?

I expect you will be equally disappointed with your replacement.
Omg, the comparison is 2 photo of canon r5, one in EFCS and the other mechanical shutter it is stated on the photo. I was able to get a single sharp image with mechanical shutter I know what I am talking about when I said even not comparable with 5dm3 in terms of sharpness. Have a look to my website all taken by 5dm3 www.gemxfoto.com/portrait

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Omg, the comparison is 2 photo of canon r5, one in EFCS and the other mechanical shutter it is stated on the photo. I was able to get a single sharp image with mechanical shutter I know what I am talking about when I said even not comparable with 5dm3 in terms of sharpness. Have a look to my website all taken by 5dm3 www.gemxfoto.com/portrait
The R5 can easily look less sharp at 100%, because it has more pixels

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And I said one of those images has a much larger flash component, so effective faster exposure, though both look like they have ambient exposure drag/camera motion in them to me. They certainly don’t compare to the images in the linked website in style or exposure technique.

And, I wasn’t the one who came here asking for input and opinions, don’t try and roast me because you don’t like mine, you never know I might be right.

I certainly wouldn’t send a 45mp camera back because when I viewed images at 100% of a one handed handheld shot with a 70-200 at 1/125th second in very mixed ambient and flash at the pixel level I saw blur. That simply is not a reliable test. But have at it, I’m the bad guy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]yeah I can use EFCS but the quality of the bokeh will be affected.[..]
As far as I can tell, bokeh only starts to be affected with a combination of wider-than-f/1.8 and faster-than-1/500s, so at 1/125s EFCS and MS should give identical bokeh, regardless of aperture.
My fastest lens is only f/1.8 and I can't tell the difference on my R5, only that MS will rock the IBIS between 1/60s and 1/200s and impact sharpness.

So, have you actually observed the alledged bokeh effect in your day to day work?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0