Why the PowerShot S120 so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Because they can.

It's got a (relatively) large sensor in a very small body, and how many Canon P&S cameras shoot RAW? I think it's aimed at dSLR users wanting a tiny camera (size is why I bought an S95 then an S100). For a bigger sensor in that same form factor, you'll pay $250-300 more for the Sony RX100 / RX100 II. If I need to replace my S100, it'll be with the RX100 II...

Upvote 0
i agree that 449.99 is a bit much. I also agree with neuro that if I was to buy a point and shoot it would be the RX100mkII.
But where do you get that it is 5 times more than a typical point and shoot? i'm not aware of any decent Canon cameras that are under 100 dollars.... it might be double the price, but I think most quality cameras that would be a backup for a DSLR user would start at around 300 bucks.

Upvote 0
duydaniel said:
It costs $449.99
That is almost 5x more than a typical Canon point and shoot

I doubt the IQ is 5x better
Why Canon charges too much for a little camera?

There is no "typical" Canon point & shoot camera. Prices run from around $100 to around $400, and there are many with varied capabilities throughout that range.

When I bought an S95 a couple of years ago I think it was near $400 at retail so the price for this model is stable. The new 120 has added WIFI so value has been added.

As others have said, it delivers RAW files, and it can realistically be used as a good DSLR backup.

I have found the S95 to be pretty rugged and entirely pocketable. I don't think there is another Canon P & S I would have.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
duydaniel said:
Dylan777 said:
As Neuro stated...size. I'll stay away from Canon compact for now.

Both Sony RX1 and RX100 II are wonderfull products. You will not understand until you shoot with it and see the IQ from these little cameras ;)

The G1X looks better than the RX100 2 on paper isn't it?
Wonder how they compare

The G1 X is nice, I own one, but I got it during a special Adorama deal last fall, after all the rebates and freebies, it only cost me $100. It will not fit in a pocket, and the lens is the weak point, its not as fast or as sharp as a prime lens. I don't know what they are selling for now, but the orginal price was far too high.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.