Will Lightroom 6 write CRAW for new 6d2?

ScottyP said:
Anyone know? I'd hate to be foreced onto the Adobe Cloud subscription service for buying a 6D2. And I am not prepared to use a work-around.

Will it read the RAW files?

It's my understanding that Adobe updates the RAW reader for LR6 through patches. No guarantees how long they'll do this, or when it'll come out, but I have LR6, and fully expect to be able to use it. If they don't bring compatibility to LR6, I'll find something out. I'll never pay adobe's extortion fee.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
daphins said:
It's my understanding that Adobe updates the RAW reader for LR6 through patches.

Nope, every update is via a separate version-controlled software release of the whole programme.

We'll only know if Lr 6 will be updated to support the 6D Mk II, when/if it happens.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Keith_Reeder said:
daphins said:
I'll never pay adobe's extortion fee.

The price of a couple of coffees a month...

I hate the idea of monthly SW subsciption. I don't see Adobe releasing major upgrades anymore. They just milk ther subsciptors while making bloated bugged software with snail-like upgrade cycle.

When Lightroom can't run smoothly on [email protected] with 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070 and NVMe SSD, something is simply not right...

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague
james75 said:
So are you saying that if I bought a 6dii, and started using lightroom 6, it wouldn't recognize the camera files? And there's no guarantees that there would be an update for it unless you go subscripotion? Well that would suck.

Adobe DNG Converter is free, receives freqent updates for new cameras and DNG files will work with LR6 or even older just fine. Not the simplest or fastest solution, but definitely CC-free one.

Upvote 0
Buying the 6D forced me to upgrade from LR3 to LR4, I think it was. I have LR5 now and would probably get LR6 (or LR7 if that ever sees the light of day) in order to get LR to work with the 6D2's RAW files.

I know all these upgrades have not been free either, but something about renting the software still sticks in my craw, and also I just don't use PS or any of the other things on the "cloud" anyway; only Lightroom.

Adobe have basically hidden the link to buy LR6. It can be found non their website but not easily. I worry that it will no longer be updated, and that there is no LR7 coming.

I can't believe they would let all their customers who are willing to buy just LR have no option to do so.

I think some non-professional photogs who are already invested in Lightroom, through the time spent learning it and also through all the 1000's of photos they have archived with the post processing done in LR, may be coaxed into buying the cloud license.

What I don't think is going to happen is many brand new photographers picking up Lightroom, the entry level gateway to the Adobe universe, if it has to be in the form of an Adobe Cloud license, committing to that obligation forever and ever. There are just too many either purchase-able or even free alternatives available. They could be cutting off their supply of new customers.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
james75 said:
So are you saying that if I bought a 6dii, and started using lightroom 6, it wouldn't recognize the camera files? And there's no guarantees that there would be an update for it unless you go subscripotion? Well that would suck.

Not sure who you're asking, but at some point (known only to Adobe) Lightroom 7 will be released and Adobe will stop updating Lr 6. If Lr 7 comes out around now, or at any rate not long after the 6D Mk II's release, Lr 6 will be obsoleted, and finished as far as that body is concerned (unless you use the DNG converter).

It has been this way forever - you can't expect Adobe (or any converter provider) to continue to retrospectively update obsolete versions of the software to support new cameras.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Khalai said:
I hate the idea of monthly SW subsciption.

And yet you'll happily pay a "subscription" for your electricity, gas, water, phone service, internet provision, online image back-up, rent...

It's an utterly illogical position.

I don't see Adobe releasing major upgrades anymore

What's left for them to hang a major upgrade on?

They just milk ther subsciptors while making bloated bugged software with snail-like upgrade cycle.

When Lightroom can't run smoothly on [email protected] with 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070 and NVMe SSD, something is simply not right...

Lr absolutely flies (or flew: I don't use Lr now - not because of problems with performance or the subscription model, but simply because it's not my favourite converter) on my machine, which is modestly-specced in comparison. It's well-known that higher-specced machines cause problems with Lr, and need more finessing with regard to processor affinities etc.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
ScottyP said:
What I don't think is going to happen is many brand new photographers picking up Lightroom, the entry level gateway to the Adobe universe, if it has to be in the form of an Adobe Cloud license, committing to that obligation forever and ever.

And yet Adobe has just this month has reported its best quarterly results ever (part of an ongoing upward trend), attributed significantly to CC.

Far more people are OK with the subscription model than are against it.

Myself included.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Probably not. They've stopped selling the standalone software so it's hardly in their interests to keep supporting it with updates for new cameras.

So, you have five options.

1) Convert 6DII RAW to DNG before importing into Lightroom 6.
2) Use different software instead of Lightroom 6.
3) Buy an Adobe Cloud subscription and use Lightroom CC which will support the 6DII for sure.
4) Don't buy a 6DII.
5) Shoot JPEG.

Don't like the options? Well, that's about all you've got.

Upvote 0
Keith_Reeder said:
ScottyP said:
I just don't use PS or any of the other things on the "cloud" anyway; only Lightroom.

Nothing here - not even Lr - is on the cloud.

Not sure what you're talking about. The monthly Adobe creative cloud subscription is for a big package of about 6 things, among which are both Photoshop and Lightroom.

Upvote 0
Keith_Reeder said:
ScottyP said:
What I don't think is going to happen is many brand new photographers picking up Lightroom, the entry level gateway to the Adobe universe, if it has to be in the form of an Adobe Cloud license, committing to that obligation forever and ever.

And yet Adobe has just this month has reported its best quarterly results ever (part of an ongoing upward trend), attributed significantly to CC.

Far more people are OK with the subscription model than are against it.

Myself included.

I see that despite the pains I took to distinguish existing users from prospective new users (which I underlined) you missed my point.

I said existing users will be coaxed into paying more by adopting the CC license. This has given Adobe a short-to-medium term cash flow boost. I actually anticipated that and bought a nice chunk of their stock a while ago, and it has performed very well for me.

Just like any product, though, your old existing users retire or die, so you need a constant inflow of brand new users. In photography, that would mostly be people new to photography. People just jumping in to photography start out with small investments. They may start with the free Canon software, or with any number of other cheap software options. I do not think as many of them will sign on for a lifetime obligation of monthly payments as would have bought a purchase copy of stand alone Lightroom. And they don't already have a million image files processed in Lightroom so Adobe hasn't got that hook into them. If they never start out on Adobe they may never get hooked on it.

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague
Keith_Reeder said:
And yet you'll happily pay a "subscription" for your electricity, gas, water, phone service, internet provision, online image back-up, rent...

I see that quite differently. For gas, electricity, water or cellular/web provider I actually feel I'm getting something. I'm already shifting from Adobe to Affinity (bought both Photo and Design, while I still have PS CS6 perpetual licence) for my non-photography work. Affinity seems like a company, which can use some support from enthusiasts and not full-time pro, their software looks quite interesting.

With LR, I have a love-hate relationship. Performance sometimes bugs me (on my rather strong workstation PC), but I really like that Library there. Develop is so-so, but it's more my laziness and conservatism to move to another software. I'm basically vendor-locked into .lrcat files with thousands of .cr2 files.

Upvote 0
Keith_Reeder said:

It's an utterly illogical position.

Nope. I buy electricity, gas, water, phone, and internet one month of service at a time. The same for food - I buy groceries every week. What you're proposing would be more of a situation where you want to buy a car, but you're only allowed the option to lease. Ever. You can't just purchase the car and then own it. That is illogical.

Lightroom is a product. It sits on my computer and runs. It is not a service that Adobe has to continually provide at their expense after I purchase it. It is not a product that is used up and needs to be continually replenished. Hell, Microsoft continues to put out updates for Windows with a one-time purchase fee, because I bought it and they maintain each version as necessary for the duration of the service life of the product. It is not unreasonable to expect the same of Adobe.

Or would you be ok if you couldn't own a camera body or lens and had to pay Canon per month, forever, for everything you had, and couldn't just buy it and own it forever? Or if you couldn't buy a house? There's an movement to turn all software into "services" and "subscriptions". I'm stunned how many people are ok with it. I don't want $10/month payments for literally everything in my life, even if you're ok with it.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Khalai said:
I see that quite differently.

Yep, I'm sure you do.

But it really isn't meaningfully different in any significant way.

In all cases, you've only got the "service" you're paying for while you continue paying for it.

Exactly the same as Creative Cloud.

It might feel different, because with the old Adobe model, you still have a piece of software that works if you don't upgrade; but that's only true until you buy a camera that isn't supported by it.

So - in fact - even in the old "pay once every couple of years" model, you were still locked in to regular payments to Adobe if you wanted to stay current and up to date.

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague
Keith_Reeder said:
Khalai said:
I see that quite differently.

Yep, I'm sure you do.

But it really isn't meaningfully different in any significant way.

In all cases, you've only got the "service" you're paying for while you continue paying for it.

Exactly the same as Creative Cloud.

It might feel different, because with the old Adobe model, you still have a piece of software that works if you don't upgrade; but that's only true until you buy a camera that isn't supported by it.

So - in fact - even in the old "pay once every couple of years" model, you were still locked in to regular payments to Adobe if you wanted to stay current and up to date.

Granted, it's maybe just in my head.

But CC is actually more expensive. I have CS6, so I don't need PS CC. In EU, it's not 9.99 $ but over 12 € per month. Means almost 150 € per year. I've been paying around 75 € per LR upgrade in about every 18 months. So where exactly lies that CC advantage except being almost double the price per year?

Upvote 0