Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

D

Deleted member 68328

Relax, enjoy your current gear, take great pics and move to R/RF Ehen you want Go spend mich money
I actually sold my Canon gear and have nothing right now. Will definitely wait to see if a D850 replacement materialises or not. Same for the new F lenses. If not, I can still buy a 5D Mark IV (it's cheap now) or eventually go with a R5. I'm not there yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
300 MP?

OK, what does that work out to, 24K video? (Which would overheat in about 35 seconds.)

:ROFLMAO:

More seriously, this will resolve the nose hairs of a flea at 2 kilometers, so it should make the hi-res people very, very happy!
I certainly don’t need the rez, but I WANT the rez. It should make Lloyd Chambers from digilloyd very happy with Canon, for a change.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Looks like a replacement for my 5Ds. The R5 was very good, but not a big enough advance in areas of importance to me (for the outlay)
I've been waiting for pixel shift since using the rather nice S1R for a while, with TS-E lenses.
Looks like an expensive year if the 14mm RF tilt shift comes at the same time (and why not, they go together).
I bought your book on TS-E . Very good I thought. It's hard to find such a comprehensive view of them elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Well, I hope we can see a difference in the quality of an image in a 90MP sensor compared to the 45MP sensor. If so, then I'm very interested in it. Let's hope that they can make other improvements over the R5 so that there will additional reasons to get it over the R5.

I wonder if they can pull off a pixel shift at that high resolution? It is usually worthless (IMHO) for handheld photos or photos with any subject motion (which is most normal cases). But it can work for tripod shots with a non-moving subject, such as landscapes or product shots. Now, can any L lens capture a sharp image at 360MP? :oops: :unsure:

The one feature that I (personally) would really like to see is "aperture bracketing". I like to take different aperture shots of the same thing and see which was best later in post. If they added that alone then I'd want to buy it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
This would be great :) In my opinion a higher resolution is a very nice feature to have. Especialy for productshots, its a big improvement. Cutouts are cleaner, retouch is cleaner... given the high end quality RF lenses that canon currently builds, a high resolution camera would be awesome. Also cropping at event photos would be handy.
I also think that the medium format becomes less appealing. At least for me. If my canon could do 90mpixel, which are very sharp with a nice prime lense, I dont think I would be interested any longer in a 120mp hasselblad, which may be an awesome camery, but also comes with a LOT of downsides...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Well, I hope we can see a difference in the quality of an image in a 90MP sensor compared to the 45MP sensor. I hope we can, but I will have to see it to believe it. If the IQ can show enough improvement then I'm very interested in it. Let's hope that they can make other big (or tiny) improvements over the R5 so that there will additional reasons to get it over the R5.

Regarding pixel shift, am I the only one who doesn't give a **** about it? IMHO it will be worthless for handheld photos or photos with any subject motion (which is most normal cases). If you use a tripod for a shot of the Grand Canyon then the rocks aren't going to move so you might have a chance of more resolution than the 90MP can give, but even then I'll have to see it to believe it. While I would be happy if it really could happen and it'd be great, I view it as almost entirely a marketing gimmick which camera makers feel they have to highlight or else they'll lose sales.

Speaking of new high end R bodies, I wonder if they're going to offer a R5a (astro) version, where the red has more sensitivity to H-Alpha? That would be interesting, even in a 45MP sensor.
I think pixelshift CAN be usefull, if you are into some very niche kind of work.
I tried it with the Sony A7R IV for some product shots, but it was a real pain to handle this.
I think it can be nice for extremely large landscape prints.

Upvote 0