Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

Will this be enough "reach" for 7D users? Assuming that this is an upscaled M6ii 32mp APS-C sensor that does 14fps then I wonder what the frame rate would be for a R5s... Could be ~4fps mechanical and crop to suit if the bottle neck is the sensor read speed (90mp vs 32mp). If the read speed is faster then this could be quite interesting for birders etc. The write speed to the CFe card can handle 2600Mbps so that is no issue.

Upvote 0
I never thought I would see the day when I would give up my 5d mk 4.
It is long gone, and I only partially regret it.

The R5 seriously lacks frame per second choices, it is too slow or too fast.
Before bringing me 90+ mp, please bring me 3 choices in frames per second!!
What is the downside for "too fast" except for storage space and reviewing time? You could use the rate button in camera or delete easily in post. If card storage size is the problem then CRAW is a possibility. I will be shooting a karate black belt grading on Saturday with the R5 for the first time. Normally I would take ~1500-1800 shots on my 5Div but there will be a lot more shots with the faster frame rate and I only have 128GB cards. CRAW is a definite possibility for this scenario for me even though the shadow recovery could be an issue if the light is poor.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I think this would be enough to move me to mirrorless. HD video would be fine for me or leave it out altogether. Video must be my must underused tool on a Canon camera. I've never understood why its become such a vital part of the sales pitch. I wonder what % of Full Frame camera buyers are mainly videographers. I see great images taken with them but not much great video. I think its probably that interesting video requires alot more than a good camera. There are much smaller devices that deliver good 4K video ( I can't even display 8K video). Even phone video is quite excellent. I'm sure it wouldn't reduce the price much if video was removed. Consumers probably expect a minimum of 8K video nowadays even though its probably impossible for them to do anything with it. You need a good computer to edit it.

You just need a 650-699 Mac mini to edit 8k thanks to M1 chip. Heck even a IPhone 12 can get the job done nowadays.

Video shooters make these cameras more cost effective to produce, they are also the gateway to the cinema line for Canon. Canon didn’t accidentally put 8k in every R5 press release.

Its one of the killers for Nikon, who would by z Mount lens if they had any cinema camera aspirations

Upvote 0
I actually sold my Canon gear and have nothing right now. Will definitely wait to see if a D850 replacement materialises or not. Same for the new F lenses. If not, I can still buy a 5D Mark IV (it's cheap now) or eventually go with a R5. I'm not there yet.
Have you taken the R5 for a test drive/rental? The lenses are a great step forward. The only downsides for the R5 vs 5Div for me were the OVF/EVF and battery life. Battery life is still substantial but I always carried a spare battery for the 5Div just in case (very rarely used). Using eye-AF in the EVF, the option for exposure compensation in it or not and the option for high refresh rate or not was more than enough for me to move.
The only other issue for me was needing a new underwater housing which was a pain in the wallet. The old one handled 5Diii/iv/SR and would have potentially handled a 5Dv in the same housing. The only other issue associated with it is that the face sensor is (switching the EVF/rear LCD) is now permanently covered so I have to remap the MFn button to switch them.... if the Rate button could be remapped would be a much more ergonomic option!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
We are never getting another 5D DSLR, it would be an economic misstep if Canon made such a camera. Move to RF.
Are you basing this on something other than your opinion? I respect your reporting on rumors, but I don't have a lot of confidence in your knowledge of what would or would not be "an economic misstep" for Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You’ll need an M1 machine to process these files. I’m straining on the leash about when my Macbook Pro will be here.
If Apple brought out a 16" version with the M1 with 32GB RAM then I (and it seems many, many others) would have jumped at it. The 13" MBpro is a processing beast but the screen is just too small for me so I will struggle reasonably well with a 2013" i7/16B/ 512GB SSD for another 6 months.
Hopefully the 16" will have mini LED screen that is 4k res and a HD camera and the masses will be appeased! What else could you want :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Have you taken the R5 for a test drive/rental? The lenses are a great step forward. The only downsides for the R5 vs 5Div for me were the OVF/EVF and battery life. Battery life is still substantial but I always carried a spare battery for the 5Div just in case (very rarely used). Using eye-AF in the EVF, the option for exposure compensation in it or not and the option for high refresh rate or not was more than enough for me to move.
The only other issue for me was needing a new underwater housing which was a pain in the wallet. The old one handled 5Diii/iv/SR and would have potentially handled a 5Dv in the same housing. The only other issue associated with it is that the face sensor is (switching the EVF/rear LCD) is now permanently covered so I have to remap the MFn button to switch them.... if the Rate button could be remapped would be a much more ergonomic option!
No I haven't in all honesty. I do understand the pros and the cons of the mirrorless system. I also understand - and admit - that there are more pros than cons. But I just like so much the body, the handling, the feel, the OVF and the overall shooting experience of a DSLR. It's not rational or based on technicals, it just is.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

If Apple brought out a 16" version with the M1 with 32GB RAM then I (and it seems many, many others) would have jumped at it. The 13" MBpro is a processing beast but the screen is just too small for me so I will struggle reasonably well with a 2013" i7/16B/ 512GB SSD for another 6 months.
Hopefully the 16" will have mini LED screen that is 4k res and a HD camera and the masses will be appeased! What else could you want :)
I actually think the MacBook Air + a 27"-or-so external display is a great combo. Light on the go and big screen at home. Another combo which I think is even more interesting: iMac + iPad Air. Even lighter on the go + processing power enough for editing while away. Big screen at home on the iMac, you can use the iPad with macOS sidecar which opens pencil edits in softwares like PS, LR, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What is the downside for "too fast" except for storage space and reviewing time? You could use the rate button in camera or delete easily in post. If card storage size is the problem then CRAW is a possibility. I will be shooting a karate black belt grading on Saturday with the R5 for the first time. Normally I would take ~1500-1800 shots on my 5Div but there will be a lot more shots with the faster frame rate and I only have 128GB cards. CRAW is a definite possibility for this scenario for me even though the shadow recovery could be an issue if the light is poor.
What is the downside for being able to change the fps of the electronic shutter?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
You do realise Apple has higher end 12 and 16 core M1x coming for their MBPros

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think pixelshift CAN be usefull, if you are into some very niche kind of work.
I tried it with the Sony A7R IV for some product shots, but it was a real pain to handle this.
I think it can be nice for extremely large landscape prints.
Well, I'm really into large landscape prints so if they make pixel shift really work for it then I'll be glad to use it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0