Your best animal shots!

Thanks guys, much appreciated. This was a fantastic trip and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Live on bread and water long enough to save up for one. You´ll never regret it. The only regret I have is that I did not do this years ago. But now I´m hooked and next year I´m off again, probably to Botswana.

A very common, but very beautiful animal is the impala. It is easy to overlook them, because they are all over the place. But in the late evening light, they shine like gold.

Attachments

• _D7T1793.jpg
    _D7T1793.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 165
Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Eldar said:
Thanks guys, much appreciated. This was a fantastic trip and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Live on bread and water long enough to save up for one. You´ll never regret it. The only regret I have is that I did not do this years ago. But now I´m hooked and next year I´m off again, probably to Botswana.

A very common, but very beautiful animal is the impala. It is easy to overlook them, because they are all over the place. But in the late evening light, they shine like gold.

Lovely Images Eldar, especially the Old Damme

Years ago a Guide driving me at Mombo on Chieftain Island in The Delta asked me if I wanted any pictures of Impala, my response at the time was "Only if they're in the mouth of a Lion or Leopard", I sort of cringe a little now when I remember that comment, but it's the unfortunate part of an Impala's Life, they're basically the moving larder for Predators.

When your ready for Botswana, in particular The Okavango Delta, let me know if you would like any recommendations, I've spent around 26 weeks in total in The Delta in the last 10 years, and I'm heading there again with my Family in June/July 2016 for 5 weeks, all 5 weeks in The Delta at 4 different Camps.

Wild Dogs are always top of my list to attempt to see when in Africa, right next to Leopards, love your image of the Dog feeding, you don't often get to see the actual Kill with these guys, their speed is amazing.

Attachments

• Dog.jpg
    Dog.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0
Yupp, the dogs are cool. We spent an entire afternoon with a pack of 24 dogs, to see them take off on their evening hunt. We could only see a head now and then. After 4 hours they got up, stretched for 30 seconds and then run off in the other direction. I got a few bum shots ...

I am still looking for the right place for the next trip. My time budget is a bit more restricted than yours Edward, so I have to settle for two weeks. All qualified suggestions are most welcome.

Upvote 0
Still a great thread with many inspiring shots.

I add three shots of deer in rut in 'Dyrehaven' north of Copenhagen. Date: 18. October 2015.
All taken with Canon 6D, at ISO 1600, 1/500s, f/9.0.
Tamron 150-600, at 600mm (#1 and 2), 400mm (#3).

Attachments

• IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 178
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
d4mike said:
I'm a deer hunter, but I seem to shoot more with my camera than I do with my bow.

In fact I'm going to challenge the guys to see who can bag the most deer this year, I don't need a license to shoot!

All in the same picture... or the daily total.... here`s an even dozen to start off with....

BTW, I counted 80 deer today on the firing range before I gave up counting and left....

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
PKinDenmark said:
Still a great thread with many inspiring shots.

I add three shots of deer in rut in 'Dyrehaven' north of Copenhagen. Date: 18. October 2015.
All taken with Canon 6D, at ISO 1600, 1/500s, f/9.0.
Tamron 150-600, at 600mm (#1 and 2), 400mm (#3).

Beautiful, those antlers are amazing! Congrats great images!

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Don Haines said:
From this morning at work.....

Documenting an equipment setup so off across the field to take some pictures in the remote hut.... On the way back I was dragging out an old satellite dish through the field behind me when out of the fog Bambi appears and comes over to check me out.....

With noise I was making, this was most definitely NOT a case of great fieldcraft and sneaking up on the critter.... I was not quiet with the dish dragging behind me..... perhaps it's like a giant cat toy that works on deer......

Both shots with a 7D2 and 17-55 lens, ISO 1280, 1/40th second, and uncropped

Its amazing how close you can get, when in Shenandoah and smokeys earlier in the year you could walk straight up to them. The red deer here in Cumbria UK are so unused to any people that you have to be crawling on all fours at 500m to get anywhere near! Yet if you head to Richmond park in London you can walk straight up to them no problem to me it sort of ruins the fun…

I read an amusing article on FB yesterday on outdoor photographys page where a photographer explained how he had taken the image (which was wonderful) but it was in Richmond park, its literally just outside central London with hundreds of thousands of people walking through each year the deer are so tame that he could get within 20m!

www.outdoorphotographer.com/blog/behind-the-shot/2015/11/behind-the-shot-autumn-call-by-mark-bridger-richmond-park-london-england.html?utm_source=facebook&ute_medium=status&utm_campaign=bts

So being used to living a bit out in the wilds and getting even remotely close you have to be extremely lucky it gave me a bit of a laugh that they made such a big article about it, the comparisons are almost off the scale!

It does make me feel a bit annoyed as with real wild animals that live out of the reach of humans, getting a good shot takes a great amount of time and skill. But you can just wander to a place like Richmond park and get featured in the magazine! lol

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
tomscott said:
Don Haines said:
From this morning at work.....

Documenting an equipment setup so off across the field to take some pictures in the remote hut.... On the way back I was dragging out an old satellite dish through the field behind me when out of the fog Bambi appears and comes over to check me out.....

With noise I was making, this was most definitely NOT a case of great fieldcraft and sneaking up on the critter.... I was not quiet with the dish dragging behind me..... perhaps it's like a giant cat toy that works on deer......

Both shots with a 7D2 and 17-55 lens, ISO 1280, 1/40th second, and uncropped

Its amazing how close you can get, when in Shenandoah and smokeys earlier in the year you could walk straight up to them. The red deer here in Cumbria UK are so unused to any people that you have to be crawling on all fours at 500m to get anywhere near! Yet if you head to Richmond park in London you can walk straight up to them no problem to me it sort of ruins the fun…

I read an amusing article on FB yesterday on outdoor photographys page where a photographer explained how he had taken the image (which was wonderful) but it was in Richmond park, its literally just outside central London with hundreds of thousands of people walking through each year the deer are so tame that he could get within 20m!

www.outdoorphotographer.com/blog/behind-the-shot/2015/11/behind-the-shot-autumn-call-by-mark-bridger-richmond-park-london-england.html?utm_source=facebook&ute_medium=status&utm_campaign=bts

So being used to living a bit out in the wilds and getting even remotely close you have to be extremely lucky it gave me a bit of a laugh that they made such a big article about it, the comparisons are almost off the scale!

It does make me feel a bit annoyed as with real wild animals that live out of the reach of humans, getting a good shot takes a great amount of time and skill. But you can just wander to a place like Richmond park and get featured in the magazine! lol

I know exactly how you feel and I still feel a little uncomfortable posting pictures like my Pileated woodpeckers that are shot from a blind where I have scattered food for months. I don't hide the fact that I have an ideal close set up and that it isn't great photography. What is great is the fact that one gets to view and show others very nice detail of a magnificent subject. I do take pride in the fact that I have been creative and put lots of hours into creating this set up.

On the other hand, out in the bush sitting in brambles waiting for birds and out of the blue a moose saunters up not aware of me and has a long drink in the creek so close that my lens was too long, was a different thrill. So was shooting eagles in Haida Gwaii, but even then my best shots came when I was told to go where the Haida were fishing. I suspect that many of the greatest eagle shots come from similar circumstances if we knew the details.

My friend who passed away recently, used to say how annoyed he was when people would say "that camera sure takes good pictures", while I often said to him "my camera takes good pictures" to rub it in, but I meant it.

tomscott, thats why it's really nice to hear the information surrounding your shoot so we can visualize and enjoy just like you are and appreciate the effort that has gone into it. After all, some people are now shooting with quad-copters and we can't do much about it. Others might fly into Churchill, paying thousands of dollars to shoot Polar bears. I say, good on them and try to enjoy what they have enjoyed and scheme how I, in my small world might get some shots that are impressive. Last winter my best was getting flight shots of lowly chickadees, like there are dozens of them, but getting that nice pose is very challenging. After all I still have a wee bit of ego too! :)

So, keep doing what you're doing and enjoying it like you do. We are also enjoying it, and the commentary, with you.

Jack

Upvote 0
Hi,
After lurking around for over a year and picking up some really useful information from many of you I've finally registered and plucked up the courage to post a couple of pictures.

I'd certainly appreciate your thoughts any constructive criticism in a bid to improve my game.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20151025-_MG_1816.jpg
    20151025-_MG_1816.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 20141005-00152-Edit.jpg
    20141005-00152-Edit.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0