Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Just this week, with family in town, I took some shots of a moving 9 month old indoors with bad lighting and that lighting was behind him. Between the motion and the backlighting, they did not come out too well (by my standards).

The boy's dad's response was, "how close did you zoom in?"

Guess the 5diii and 70-200 ii were at fault, cause it could not have been me!

;D

Upvote 0
Dick said:
ME said:
Did we really land on the moon? ??? ;D

We did not. Someone maybe did, but it's all about trust, I guess, when it comes to that. One has to bear in mind that the cold war times were times of fooling the other... or were they?

This is something that really pisses me off though. Sports teams are playing against each other and some spectator or even a narrator says that "we now need to" or "if we win this" or something similar. One has to play to be considered being in the team! The common options for a Lakers fan are 1) we won 2) the Lakers lost.

I have heard of people who have won Olympic medals by watching the TV at home. I've never heard of someone who finished last by watching the TV. So when someone else does something great, it's cool to take it away from him/her? When someone on the other hand fails, it's on him/her?

I guess this is the world we live in. Governments are there to take a part of your earnings and operating profit, but when your business goes bankrupt, they will not pay their shares. As long as you are making a profit, they are proud to be a part of it all.

Sorry I went so far off topic. Now back to the topic -->

I take great pics with my camera!
When my photos are not that great, it's because of the poor dynamic range.

^This is the lame stuff I see here on the forum. Even in this thread people act like everything that they create, is a result of their untouchable skills. When the outcome sucks, the equipment is bad.

Just now getting back to this thread. I didnt realize I had created such a stir. It was meant to be lighthearted. Are you one of "those" conspiracy theorists? Sometimes they turn out to be true. I do realize that there was serious competition between the USA and the Soviet Union during that period of time, and it would not surprise me if the moon landing was faked. But we, I mean I lean more towards it being a real moon landing. Who has proven it one way or the other? Besides, how do you know that I am not an astronaut who was on that flight and I (we) did land on the moon? I am ;D Just kidding ;)Pro wrestling is faked to a certain extent (I believe). But I would not say it to a wrestler's face. Does anyone remember the incident with John Stossel and the wrestler he was interviewing? Also, remember Andy Kaufman? I just read one rumor that he is still alive and faked his death. And We? Just a commonly used expression, for fans of sports, citizens of countries, etc. Fandom can have a positive effect on athletic teams. I suggest you not take everything so literally, or as Valvebounce suggested maybe you were having a bad day. Anyway, we (I might have a multiple personality disorder, or is that a faked condition? ), I, ME didnt mean to raise you blood pressure. It was all meant to be taken as lighthearted humor, but maybe I failed in getting that across. ;)

Upvote 0
JPAZ said:
Just this week, with family in town, I took some shots of a moving 9 month old indoors with bad lighting and that lighting was behind him. Between the motion and the backlighting, they did not come out too well (by my standards).

The boy's dad's response was, "how close did you zoom in?"

Guess the 5diii and 70-200 ii were at fault, cause it could not have been me!

;D

+1 on your sense of humor! It's a shame you didn't try a faster prime...or a 6D, haha!

Upvote 0
ME said:
Dick said:
ME said:
Did we really land on the moon? ??? ;D

We did not. Someone maybe did, but it's all about trust, I guess, when it comes to that. One has to bear in mind that the cold war times were times of fooling the other... or were they?

This is something that really pisses me off though. Sports teams are playing against each other and some spectator or even a narrator says that "we now need to" or "if we win this" or something similar. One has to play to be considered being in the team! The common options for a Lakers fan are 1) we won 2) the Lakers lost.

I have heard of people who have won Olympic medals by watching the TV at home. I've never heard of someone who finished last by watching the TV. So when someone else does something great, it's cool to take it away from him/her? When someone on the other hand fails, it's on him/her?

I guess this is the world we live in. Governments are there to take a part of your earnings and operating profit, but when your business goes bankrupt, they will not pay their shares. As long as you are making a profit, they are proud to be a part of it all.

Sorry I went so far off topic. Now back to the topic -->

I take great pics with my camera!
When my photos are not that great, it's because of the poor dynamic range.

^This is the lame stuff I see here on the forum. Even in this thread people act like everything that they create, is a result of their untouchable skills. When the outcome sucks, the equipment is bad.

Just now getting back to this thread. I didnt realize I had created such a stir. It was meant to be lighthearted. Are you one of "those" conspiracy theorists? Sometimes they turn out to be true. I do realize that there was serious competition between the USA and the Soviet Union during that period of time, and it would not surprise me if the moon landing was faked. But we, I mean I lean more towards it being a real moon landing. Who has proven it one way or the other? Besides, how do you know that I am not an astronaut who was on that flight and I (we) did land on the moon? I am ;D Just kidding ;)Pro wrestling is faked to a certain extent (I believe). But I would not say it to a wrestler's face. Does anyone remember the incident with John Stossel and the wrestler he was interviewing? Also, remember Andy Kaufman? I just read one rumor that he is still alive and faked his death. And We? Just a commonly used expression, for fans of sports, citizens of countries, etc. Fandom can have a positive effect on athletic teams. I suggest you not take everything so literally, or as Valvebounce suggested maybe you were having a bad day. Anyway, we (I might have a multiple personality disorder, or is that a faked condition? ), I, ME didnt mean to raise you blood pressure. It was all meant to be taken as lighthearted humor, but maybe I failed in getting that across. ;)

Conspiracy theories about a faked moon landing? Where does this come from? Is it because you just can't bring yourself to admit something like that happened while Nixon was president? (Assuming you realize it was during his first term...) This is almost as bad as 9/11 "truthing", but not quite! My uncle worked on the Apollo program. To deny the moon landing, is about as lame as denying WW2 happened, or at the very least, the holocaust. Just because someone was not alive for a big moment in history, does not mean it never happened, or that you should question whether it happened. In my opinion, too much emphasis is put on the competition between the Soviet Union and the USA, to land on the moon. The Soviets only cared about world domination, not Moon domination. They lost on both counts, because they believed an authoritarian government that fooled the useful idiots into putting them in power, would somehow equalize everybody's life outcome. The problem was, the outcome only got worse than the days of the Czars, not better. Hopefully America is learning our lesson about such absurd pipedreams now, before it's too late...

One thing we definitely don't have to worry about anytime soon, is NASA putting more men in space. They have to pay the former Soviets to do it (unless you think that's faked too). The only way Americans will be launched into space over the next 20 years or more, is by the private efforts and thick wallet of Richard Branson. It's a very brief trip, though, not even close to any sort of orbit.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
To deny the moon landing, is about as lame as denying WW2 happened

That was not really my point in the first place, but let's discuss that then. I'd claim that people too easily accept things as facts. People base their views on stories told by others. Many made up things have been considered as the truth, like the world being flat. I think it's kinda sick to blindly believe in everything just like that. The moon landing might be real, but how do you really know? Assuming and believing is not the same as knowing. Why do you need to have a definite opinion when it comes to the moon landing?

It's not lame to just say that you don't really know, since that is actually how it is for most people. Claiming the moon landing really happened is just as lame as claiming it didn't. Accepting the fact that you don't know, is the only sensible option in my opinion. That is the only objective way to view the whole thing.

Upvote 0
Dick said:
CarlTN said:
To deny the moon landing, is about as lame as denying WW2 happened

That was not really my point in the first place, but let's discuss that then. I'd claim that people too easily accept things as facts. People base their views on stories told by others. Many made up things have been considered as the truth, like the world being flat. I think it's kinda sick to blindly believe in everything just like that. The moon landing might be real, but how do you really know? Assuming and believing is not the same as knowing. Why do you need to have a definite opinion when it comes to the moon landing?

It's not lame to just say that you don't really know, since that is actually how it is for most people. Claiming the moon landing really happened is just as lame as claiming it didn't. Accepting the fact that you don't know, is the only sensible option in my opinion. That is the only objective way to view the whole thing.

Sorry that I missed your initial point, easy to lose track when there are multiple quotes. You have a good argument, however, what's funny about the world-is-flat belief, is that all sailors knew it was false, since the times of the Vikings, and even before...at least according to the History channel! :p Pretty easy to see why...because if they didn't know how to navigate, they would have been lost at sea...and nobody would have ever sailed anywhere out of site of a shoreline.

Why do I need to have a definite opinion when it comes to the moon landing? Well, um, because it's a significant accomplishment of mankind...a milestone...and America did it. Why do you need to doubt it? Name me one good reason why you doubt it? Is it because you think your generation is the most important one, because you were raised to believe this ever since you were a child...and therefore only your generation could have accomplished such a thing?

One of the reasons my uncle seems to have been so enthusiastic about working on the program, was because of JFK's declaration. Given his politics, I can only imagine how peeved he was that it didn't happen until it did. He certainly loves how things are going now, and doesn't mind at all that NASA's been castrated. In his mind, even the Space Shuttle was not important. To him, we did enough when we went to the moon, because that's what the lord JFK told us to do. Once that was done, he was done with NASA.

There is amazing history to the Apollo program, so stop watching youtube conspiracy channels, and start learning the real history! For instance, you wouldn't believe how primitive the computer RAM was in the Command and Lunar Modules...google it. My uncle had to laugh as he recalled it. And that's the very program he worked on!

There's a difference between looking at evidence, and then deciding to believe something...and just blindly believing something because somebody told me. (That's what conspiracy youtube channels are for.)

I was a toddler when Apollo 13 happened, and I recall seeing it on live TV...and then my mother pointing out the window at the moon and telling me they were headed there. This isn't much evidence that it wasn't faked. However, I'll throw one of the arguments people who believe there was no conspiracy to assassinate JFK, out to you. "If there was a conspiracy and a coverup, why haven't the guilty parties been discovered by now?"

I suppose in an age when some people might have a hard time knowing what is real and what is not, that I shouldn't be as surprised as I am, when silly conspiracies that also attempt to make America look bad and illegitimate, are all the rage...the "cool" things to believe in. I mean, nothing is cooler, more realistic, or more satisfying than teenage-vampire-werewolf love triangles, or teenagers shooting bow-arrows at those bad old people in wigs on gameshows, is there?

Next you're going to tell me that vampires are real, right? You do know who Vlad the Impaler was, right? Apparently nobody who believes in vampires has ever heard of him, because he is where it all started...and he was scary, but no vampire!

"It's not lame to just say that you don't really know, since that is actually how it is for most people. Claiming the moon landing really happened is just as lame as claiming it didn't. Accepting the fact that you don't know, is the only sensible option in my opinion. That is the only objective way to view the whole thing."

No, the only sensible way to view the whole thing, is to look at the evidence. Then, you have to believe there is reasonable doubt that it actually happened, in order to really say something like "I don't know if it happened or not". Frankly sir, you have an agenda here, and I don't like it. There is no reasonable doubt, given the historical evidence.

Being ignorant of the evidence is no excuse to believe a lame conspiracy, and the lunar landing conspiracy is a lame one that lazy people believe. Get informed.

Did aliens place the mirrors on the Moon which have allowed astronomers to measure the distance to within millimeters accuracy with lasers? Or did NASA astronauts? Which is the more plausible possibility? Somebody put them up there. I doubt the aliens would have wanted to help out our scientists very much...Or did they? Nah...

Upvote 0
Getting back on to the subject :)
I take great photos with My I phone, I also have taken some bad ones. Many bad ones have been the fault of my Equipment as well as the operator. Lets be honest, not every image we shoot comes out perfect. We all are guilty of bad pictures and we only show the world the good stuff :)

I believe that when people blindly blurt out, "Your camera takes great pictures" they assume you are the one in control but believe that your equipment helps take better pictures. If I could get the same quality pictures from my Iphone as I can from my 5D3 then I wasted allot of money on my 5D3.

The key is use what you have and with lesser equipment you will have a good chance of a producing a great photo. With great equipment you have a better chance of getting the great photo. This is due to your better equipment's features and ability to use it. Therefore Good Cameras do take better pictures.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Did aliens place the mirrors on the Moon which have allowed astronomers to measure the distance to within millimeters accuracy with lasers? Or did NASA astronauts? Which is the more plausible possibility? Somebody put them up there. I doubt the aliens would have wanted to help out our scientists very much...Or did they? Nah...

I guess we come back to the same question. How do you know that there are mirrors? I suppose one can surely spot the mirrors in some way if they are there, but have you spotted them yourself? I have no personal experiences that would make me 100% sure that those mirrors exist. I don't know if they do.

Who is responsible for 9/11? I don't know.
Do Asian men really have tiny dicks? I don't know and I don't really even care.
Does my wife enjoy living with me? I don't know, but I hope she does.
Are my kids really mine? I believe they are, but I don't really know.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
Pi said:
JPAZ said:
Actually, all of you are wrong.

The Planet Earth is accurately described as an "oblate spheroid" and is neither round nor flat.

In common use, "round" is an alternative to "flat". Then it is either round of flat, by definition.

A circle is round, a ball is spherical.

I wonder what it is in 11 dimensions?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Pi said:
Hmm..., how do you really know that the Earth is round? Have you checked it yourself, or you just believe what you have been told? It is kinda sick that you would believe it like just like that. Your personal experience certainly supports the flat Earth theory.

I have checked..... You can measure the curvature of the earth with a telescope and an item of known height over a lake....

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
serendipidy said:
paul13walnut5 said:
Pi said:
JPAZ said:

The Planet Earth is accurately described as an "oblate spheroid" and is neither round nor flat.

In common use, "round" is an alternative to "flat". Then it is either round of flat, by definition.

I thought we were up to 16 dimensions?

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
jdramirez said:
serendipidy said:
paul13walnut5 said:
Pi said:
JPAZ said:

I thought we were up to 16 dimensions?

I thought it was 11 dimensions too - 4 'normal everyday' spacetime and rest curled up and invisible to us ;)

Upvote 0