Your uncomfortable photography, WHY?

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
chrysoberyl said:
scyrene said:
I really dislike photographing people, especially strangers, unless they explicitly ask me to. I feel like I'm being rude or invasive - even though I accept that being out and about, I may end up in other people's shots. Street photography is not for me!

This describes my feelings exactly!
What if the person wants you to take her photo but shy to ask you?
What if someone else ask you to take the photo of his guests?
What if your daughter asks you to take her wedding as you are the only one available at that time? Would you really deliver a quality of your lack of experience?

Photographing people is about the relationship between the photographer and the subject; and it requires experience.
I used to be like you. Was a sport only photographer .
One day, was on a shoot, and my best friend happened to be one of them. She won, and during the medal ceremony she saw me and asked to take her photos with families and friends. I couldn't refuse, that was the only medal in her entire life and I happened to be there, with an expensive camera.
That day, I decided, I have to go over my fear and learn it.
If you respect people, you will find a way to respectfully ask them and if they say yes you go ahead and do it and that is the only way for you to learn it - by actually doing it - on the street or in your own house.

Many thinks that natural look is better, because it is natural. Those are the people who shoot without permission.
Unless it is an event, I always pose my subject because I learned it.
I ask for permission, I take few shots, I show it to her and if she likes it I ask for more and those are the ones I use, not the first takes.
And I am comfortable shooting unknown to me people, a nice way to making an acquaintance to a stranger. Now, comfortably, I shoot unpaid weddings of friends or family of friends.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Street work and candid photography. Portrait work as well (although with recent practice, I've been able to settle in more here).

I started out with still life, nature and architecture. They don't move, and you can take your time to get the shot right. Soon after I tried sport & action (mostly ice skating shows). I also did the occasional event, but I remember it took years before I was comfortable enough asking folks to pose for a shot. Some will do so automatically when they see the camera though.

I seem to be finding myself at a lot more events these days though. It's still an uncomfortable feeling for me to try to shoot random people however - I'll typically stick to performers/speakers in those environments. And street work - I won't even bother. Can of worms...

Upvote 0
I'm comfortable shooting landscapes, nature and taking portraits or recording life for family and friends. I would not be comfortable shooting street or doing wedding or event photography.

A few years ago I was asked to photograph a friends wedding. The photographer they had lined up was unexpectedly hospitalized and they were having trouble finding a last minute replacement, I came to mind since they knew I was a photographer and were complimentary of my landscape photography. Fortunately for all involved I was able to help them find a real wedding photographer, and I was able to enjoy the wedding and reception as a guest. Lots of people assume knowledge of photography and expensive gear automatically qualify you as a potential wedding photographer. Not true! Wedding photography requires lots of knowledge and skills beyond understanding how to operate a camera and lighting. I have tremendous respect for most of the wedding pros I've watched.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
A few years ago, I was following a photography education. One of the task we need to do was street photography. Never felt that uncomfortable wit my gear as that moment. For sure if you are a men and want to photograph on the street. Didn't take any picture of kids at that session.

A funeral as mentioned by others, is something I don't won't to disturb with my machine guns.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
FEBS said:
A few years ago, I was following a photography education. One of the task we need to do was street photography. Never felt that uncomfortable wit my gear as that moment. For sure if you are a men and want to photograph on the street. Didn't take any picture of kids at that session.

A funeral as mentioned by others, is something I don't won't to disturb with my machine guns.

They TRULY appreciated all the captures. I ended up with a BW photo book as a gift plus USB with all edited JPEGs.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
FEBS said:

They TRULY appreciated all the captures. I ended up with a BW photo book as a gift plus USB with all edited JPEGs.

Nice. I offered to take pictures when both of my wife's grandfathers passed away over the last few years, but she felt it would be too awkward, so I didn't. Taking pictures at a wake/funeral without the family's blessing -- now that would be uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Being a shy person, I don't like to be out in front at big events/concerts unless I've been specifically told to. Even then, I can feel uncomfortable (especially at quieter settings like a symphony or church service) because I feel like I'm disturbing people's experience.
I guess I'm uncomfortable with "street" photography, since I don't like people taking close ups of me. I don't really do that kind of photography though, expect on vacation. Typically then I'll try to take peoples pictures without them knowing (telephoto creeper or have camera at hip).

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
bholliman said:
A few years ago I was asked to photograph a friends wedding. The photographer they had lined up was unexpectedly hospitalized and they were having trouble finding a last minute replacement, I came to mind since they knew I was a photographer and were complimentary of my landscape photography. Fortunately for all involved I was able to help them find a real wedding photographer, and I was able to enjoy the wedding and reception as a guest. Lots of people assume knowledge of photography and expensive gear automatically qualify you as a potential wedding photographer. Not true! Wedding photography requires lots of knowledge and skills beyond understanding how to operate a camera and lighting. I have tremendous respect for most of the wedding pros I've watched.

Ugh, that's one of my biggest "fears" - being asked to shoot someone's wedding...that's something I won't touch with the world's longest pole...having shot the occasional evening party, which is a crazy enough experience (and as far as I will go), I have nothing but respect for those who undertake a task such as a wedding.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
I don't think there is ever an appropriate place and time.. but dying people. :'( :'( I hate hate my own shutter sound and seeing a suffering/dying person through the viewfinder. I've only done this once.. I don't think it's right, even if its okay by the patient/family etc. It's really tough.

Besides that, weddings. Only because I've never done it. I've done event and portrait photography jobs before.. I'm assuming that it's a general mash of that?? ;D shooting my first wedding in June!!

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Dylan777 said:
As a friend requested, I was a primary photographer in her family funeral. It was harder than I thought - not IQ or AF - it's more capturing those moments through viewfinder and editing the photos.
As weird as as it may sound. That is something I really want to do at least once. But generally now when I have your emotional feedback, would prefer the job to be coming from someone distant to me.

Upvote 0