Zoo Pics

bp

Jun 1, 2011
verysimplejason said:
Nice pics! Somehow, I'd like to see all these creatures in the wild. I'd like taking pictures of animals inside the zoo but something in me becomes sad when I see them caged. Hopefully I'll be able to save money to go to a real safari someday.

I'm with you. Something irks me about "zoo shots". Especially when people refer to them as "wildlife photography". Seriously? That's like waiting in line at a book signing, then telling people that you know the author. Like buying a lapdance then saying you hit second base with a model. I suppose it's an OK way to practice, but that "wildlife" has been put on display, you didn't track it, you didn't "earn it". It's just a gear test.

Early in my photography I used to take zooms with me to the zoo. Now, anytime I go with the family to the zoo, I leave all my telephoto at home, and bring a wide prime, because shots of my kids looking at the animals is all I'll be interested in looking at later.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
bp said:
I'm with you. Something irks me about "zoo shots". Especially when people refer to them as "wildlife photography". Seriously? That's like waiting in line at a book signing, then telling people that you know the author. Like buying a lapdance then saying you hit second base with a model. I suppose it's an OK way to practice, but that "wildlife" has been put on display, you didn't track it, you didn't "earn it". It's just a gear test.

Earn?

Going to the zoo is probably the only way many people will ever be able to afford to photograph oh... an African elephant. Ponying up 5 figures to fly to Africa doesn't make a picture of one more legitimate. It's just a wallet test.

Often times wildlife photography is luck. Right place, right time. By happenstance, I was able to take this photo of a mother grizzly rear up to check out a loud sound. My plans that day were go from lake yellowstone to lamar valley. The road through dunraven peak was closed due to ice, so I had to go counterclockwise around the park rather than take the direct route north. Had the road been open, I'd never have seen this. I didn't earn the opportunity.

Upvote 0

bp

Jun 1, 2011
3kramd5 said:
Earn?

Going to the zoo is probably the only way many people will ever be able to afford to photograph oh... an African elephant. Ponying up 5 figures to fly to Africa doesn't make a picture of one more legitimate. It's just a wallet test.

Often times wildlife photography is luck. Right place, right time. By happenstance, I was able to take this photo of a mother grizzly rear up to check out a loud sound. My plans that day were go from lake yellowstone to lamar valley. The road through dunraven peak was closed due to ice, so I had to go counterclockwise around the park rather than take the direct route north. Had the road been open, I'd never have seen this. I didn't earn the opportunity.

You seem to be ignoring my distinction between "zoo pics" and zoo pics that are being referred to as "wildlife photography". I have no issue with people taking pics at the zoo. Shoot away. It's great practice

In fact, I don't disagree with anything you just said, aside from "Ponying up 5 figures to fly to Africa doesn't make a picture of one more legitimate." Sorry, but if the photographer is referring to their pic of an elephant as "wildlife photography", as I stated in my post, yes, it does.

Also I don't agree at all, that you "didn't earn" that bear shot. GREAT shot, by the way. Sure you earned it. And that IS "wildlife" photography. I simply think people should be honest with others (and themselves), and acknowledge that what they're doing is very different from what you did, or what true wildlife photographers do.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
bp said:
You seem to be ignoring my distinction between "zoo pics" and zoo pics that are being referred to as "wildlife photography". I have no issue with people taking pics at the zoo. Shoot away.

It wasn't intentionally ignored, I read the part about their label as an additional concern.

"Something irks me about "zoo shots". Especially when people refer to them as "wildlife photography"

But no worries.

And I tend to agree with you. When sharing zoo photos, if I use the word wildlife I'll generally put it in quotation marks (they aren't wild).

Upvote 0
Now, anytime I go with the family to the zoo, I leave all my telephoto at home, and bring a wide prime, because shots of my kids looking at the animals is all I'll be interested in looking at later.
[/quote]

I read your comment and I agree that zoo photography can definitely get more interesting if you combined it with street photography and an emphasis on candid portrait photography. The more interesting pictures that will come from a zoo will not be a close up of a tiger or bear, that's been done a billion times, but rather the shots of people's reactions, expressions, and interactions with the animals. IMO.

Candid portraits are great at a zoo because people aren't paying attention to the photographer, one of the few environments where you can shoot candid portraits with ease.

Upvote 0
Most species of animals are virtually impossible to photograph in the wild. Sure you can go on Safari (if you can afford it, which I cannot) and get shots of lions and elephants. But I challenge anyone here to go into the wild and do "true wildlife photography" of a mang mountain viper in China or a margay in South America or even a wolverine in North America.

Upvote 0