Canon hasn't yet officially confirmed the resolution of the Canon EOS R3, its equivalent mirrorless camera for pro sports photographers, but rumors have strongly suggested that it'll also be a 45MP camera. We do already officially know that R3 will be able to shoot 30fps bursts and oversampled 4K video.
I haven't had a single person tell me that the EOS R3 will be 45mp, I can't say the same about the 30.1mp resolution that I have reported.
One point that makes me question the truth behind the 45mp resolution is the lack of 8K recording in the EOS R3. Canon hasn't released all of the video features, just bits, and pieces. However, they have said it will shoot 4K and oversampled 4K, if it did shoot 8K, I think that would be out there by now. So if they did equip it with a 45mp sensor, it would be strange that it didn't shoot some form of 8K,
As always, rumors are rumors and I could always be wrong.
The Canon EOS R3 is scheduled to be officially announced sometime in September.
Canon EOS R3 Specifications:
- 24mp (Rumored) 30.1mp (Rumored) backside illuminated image sensor
- Multi-Controller & Smart Controller
- Vari-Angle Touch Screen
- NEW accessory shoe
- Wifi 5GHz
- High speed 30fps electronic shutter with AF/AE tracking + RAW shooting at this speed
- AF down to -7.0 EV
- 8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical IS and In-Body IS
- 4K Canon Log3
- Oversampling 4K
- Internal RAW video
- Inclusion of cars and motorbikes in AF tracking technology
- RAW internal movie recording
- Speedlite shooting with electronic shutter
- The same weather sealing as the EOS-1D series
- LP-E19 Battery
- Dual card slot SD & CFExpress