Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

I hope that RF and EF lenses are compatible in a way that RF lenses would be able to screw on the EF mount mechnically. This would open up the possibility of a moving sensor like it has discussed before.
I did a quick drawing of it.
Maybe RF stands for Rear Focus and it would enable them to move the sensor in addition to the lens elements for ultra fast focusing with large tele lenses. Maybe nano USM directly in the body would be the right technology since its a high precision ultra high speed linear motor. Combined with a conventional IBIS unit on top this might not be trivial but doable.
This may also correct lens decentering by shifting the sensor or it would allow some kind of focus stacking in burst mode.

Edit: It would also be an inbuild variable macro tube for EF Lenses and might also help to lock in focus with manual lenses with moving the sensor the last bit into critical focus. So many possibilities…..Canon just do that in the 8000 USD EOS 1R !
1dxaf.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Every lens has a textured ring around the terminal part of the lens barrel before you get to the hood attachment.

canon_2.jpg
canon_5.jpg

Primes have it. Zooms have it. What is it for?

Canon bought a new milling machine?

;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Saying it once was enough, fella...

That’s one ugly camera. Hopefully though the specs will make up for it (we have yet to confirm the 4K isn’t horribly cropped or some similar crippling).

I made the experience that a lot of very useful things seem to be "ugly" but ... once you have used them I fell in love with the functional AND aesthetic design!
Same for M50: It's no beauty at first glance but using it you understand why things are shaped the way they are and you understand that the camera is not going into the way when trying to take photos.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
You must be legally blind if you don't see that it is common practice to crop and not just print the full frame. Having more megapixels is a real boon.

You have to be legally blind to miss the fact that with an entry level DSLR, you can crop 50% and print poster.

My heart aches for all the people who can't crop 75% and still print poster size.

Upvote 0
Did anyone give you a reason to expect it?

Yes, Sony and Nikon. Honestly, if you're going to be asking for the same amount of money then you'd expect to compete on specs.
IBIS in mirrorless ILCs is a given at this point.
So, we're stuck with adapters, a 28-70 instead of a 24-70 and no IBIS? Yea, what a great way to enter the market!
Speaking as someone who's been waiting on this one for quite a while, the only way I'm not jumping to Sony is if this has IBIS.
If not, so long and thank for all the fish!

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Did anyone give you a reason to expect it?
yes. Sony and Nikon.

but i find this rather strange ... will Canon really launch a new mirrorfree camera without IBIS *and* new lenses for it without IS [except the 35/1.8 where IS is mentioned]? Especially the RF 24-105 "kit" lens ... no IS?

Really strange. Are we sure the camera does not have IBIS?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
yes. Sony and Nikon.

Sure, because Canon always slavishly follows what they do...

Meanwhile, back on Earth, Canon will - as usual - have done its market research and made its decision based on its market. And - as usual - they'll prove to have gotten it right, despite what the internet has to say about it...

So - maybe - this camera doesn't have IBIS, but as other have said, that doesn't mean it's not coming.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Isn't it actually quite the reverse? EF-R can be used on the EF bodies, but you need an adapter to connect EF lens to the new EF-R based body?

RF lenses focus the image at 20mm behind flange. EF mount cameras are much "thicker" [44mm from flange to sensor]. So it is physically not possible to use RF lenses on EF cameras.

But we can use EF lenses [44mm flange focal distance] on "slim" RF mount by adding a 24mm "extension tube" adapter to "bridge the gap".

It only works one way ... ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
I made the experience that a lot of very useful things seem to be "ugly" but ... once you have used them I fell in love with the functional AND aesthetic design!
Same for M50: It's no beauty at first glance but using it you understand why things are shaped the way they are and you understand that the camera is not going into the way when trying to take photos.

Indeed - and we can't talk "ugly camera" without mentioning the Sony A7 series...

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
"no IBIS" - are we sure or is it only an assumption based on the 35 Macro having in-lens IS?

Mabye - just speculating - the 35/1.8 Macro has a "specific IS" implementation [like e.g EF 100 L IS Macro lens with "hybrid IS"] that works in conjunction with IBIS or separately, but only in macro mode? Mabye IBIS is 3-axis only, not 5?

But again, just speculating.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0