Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
They could, but many here believe that this is $2k camera, and putting a $3k+ camera's sensor into a $2k price point would have a lot of people blow off the 6D2 (or even the 5D4 itself) in favor of this better sensor. Canon typically doesn't eat itself that way like other companies do, esp. with FF sensors.

There are crafty ways Canon could do put the 5D4 sensor into a cheaper camera, like nerfing some features, leaving key things out, etc. but they also could price it higher to level the demand and protect other lines.

- A

Canon Chairman and CEO:

Our primary management goal this year is to raise our antennas high toward cutting-edge technology. It is on this point where we lag behind other companies. We will open up a research and development center in the U.S.'s Silicon Valley, where we will actively adopt new technology.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Co...side-the-camera-box-Canon-chief-argues?page=1

Canon's Imaging CEO:

For those users who have the interchangeable-lens DSLRs, the purchasing cycle, to start with, was not very short, so they would use the same camera for several years. So this would also cover your next question as well. <laughter> In terms of the camera model change cycle, I think that would differ based on the characteristics of each camera. So in terms of our high-end cameras, we will do our model change when we are able to embed the functionality and performance that we are aiming for. For entry level models, of course we will do the model change when we come out with new features or new performance. But at the same time, for the entry level models there is a lot of competition, and so we also have to work on cost reductions. Once we are able to do these cost reductions, that would be another opportunity for model change.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...-m-enthusiasts-more-aps-c-lenses-new-printers

My take: If the EOS R will become a new platform for Canon and if Canon has achieved cost savings in its sensor production and if it has concluded that mirrorless cameras will become the predominant camera type, then the the EOS R will compare to, say, the 5D IV as a progressing technology compares to a declining technology. The new floor for Canon's high-end cameras may thus have a 30 MP sensor while also having a price meant for the 6D market segment. Canon intended to compete on price and technology.

I could not find the quote where a Canon executive stated the the Canon would no longer protect it's legacy product lines. Keeping that in mind, a 30 MP EOS R priced at $1,900 is plausible.

Upvote 0
I guess I just see things differently. Shaving a few mm's and ounces doesn't seem to be a big deal. If you want light weight and smaller form factor an EOS M kit is a feather compared to any FF kit.

Understand I'm not saying Canon has done a bad job, though how good this first camera is overall depends on specs we haven't seen yet. It will sell because there's a fascination right now with FF mirrorless and this looks to be a competitive model. I just don't get the mirrorless hype or "magic". For me the camera has to break ground on some feature/price point.
Canon is high on the customer satisfaction scale as they treat there customers very well compaired to others (not treating at all). I don't think they need groundbreaking, just a solid entry. You should try looking through an EVF for a day, you might like it. I have been all Mrrorless for 2+ years and have considered buying a Canon 6Dii or 5D but can't push myself to using a OVF again

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
...to you. Others want a svelte concept car. Some love the orthogonal weaponry precision Leica aesthetic. Others love the 80s mojo of the Olympus rigs.

The point: until one style is clearly the winner, Canon won't dare dabble in subjective worlds. This is not what Canon does.

- A

Correct. IMO stands for "in MY opinion". Similar statement as "to me".

Upvote 0
My 35 f/2 IS gets used 10x as often as the 40 f/2.8 STM pancake. Yes, it's bigger, but it's a stop faster, has IS, has ring USM speed, has mechanical manual, is internal focusing, takes common filter size, has a solid/fast hood attachment, etc.

Now, offer an f/2 pancake like EF-M has and the debate goes from no-brainer for the 35 IS to a slightly less clear choice.

- A

Indeed, your 35 f/2 is a great lens. I use the 40 because of its size and my personal travel habits and needs...and it was $100. If it weren't for those factors, I would want the 35 f/2.

I'm wondering how the "R" will work out with the 35 1.8 in terms of depth. Might be a great option...for me.

Upvote 0

osendal

5DIII
Sep 1, 2018
This thread is getting out of hand, so I guess someone has done this before. But out of curiousity I had to do a really quick test of the lenses on the body for size comparison. And as someone already did (can't remember who, sorry!) I adjusted the hot shoe to be the same size.

I like the EOS R size better now. Interestingly the 50mm and 24-105 looks the same size. The perfect pair IMO. And of course the 28-70 is huge! What an amazing lens.

eosr_24105mm.jpg
eosr_50mm.jpg
eosr_35mm.jpg
eosr_2870mm.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I could not find the quote where a Canon executive stated the the Canon would no longer protect it's legacy product lines.
Of course you can't, because it doesn't exist. Apparently your personal bias is clouding your memory. A Canon exec did discuss actively pursuing the MILC market even if there is some cannibalization of DSLRs. But any Canon exec who referred to the DSLR segment – which comprises the majority of the ILC market and the majority of Canon's imaging revenue – as 'legacy product lines' would likely be summarily fired, or at best never again permitted to publicly speak on the company's behalf.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I could not find the quote where a Canon executive stated the the Canon would no longer protect it's legacy product lines. Keeping that in mind, a 30 MP EOS R priced at $1,900 is plausible.

...if it doesn't match the 5D4 spec for spec, sure. But if it does, it's simply not a $1900 camera. Canon doesn't launch things that take the legs out of higher priced things in a clear-cut way. There are featured based exceptions: DPAF first in the 70D while the 7D line didn't have it, 4K in M50 while the M5/M6 don't have it, sure -- that's just a feature or two. But to clone the capabilities of a rig Canon currently sells for $3100 and sell it for $1900 simply isn't going to happen.

Consider: the Nikon Z7 is a D850 'clone' at a really superficial level... and they are asking for D850 money for it. Canon would do the same if they cloned the 5D4 into mirrorless.

I also think that we're reading way too much into a sealed 30 MP sensor body into meaning that it's a mirrorless 5D4. We simply don't know that yet.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So...perhaps there is another mirrorless body being released that will mount EF lenses directly with full capability? Adapters are usually terrible. Slow autofocus etc. I am happy with the gear that I own...this is not rockin my world! :)

Tell me that this is slow.

Because I expect this level of performance with EOS R.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
All the "I'm jumping ship" talk turns out to be Sony execs jumping around wondering where they can find jobs once Canon fires the second salvo. Loving that "smaller and lighter" 28-70 f/2L. Seriously loving it. Can't wait for the reviews.

There's more to it than fast lenses, though.

If they price it at $2999 and it's a single slot without IBIS, the YAPODFC camp will come back with a vengeance.

I'm not ready to call this rig a categorical win just yet. I need to see more.

- A

Upvote 0
There are plenty of users (me included) who wIll take all the usable MP we can get. It is the A7riii and D850 and 5ds market with plenty of wildlife and landscape photographers making their bread and butter with them. We print large and post in high resolution and the extra MP help with cropping in wildlife.

Don’t knock it until you try it.
agreed. There are benefits to oversampling from higher MPs, like 70-100 to say, something like 30 or 20. I don't doubt for a moment Sony, and hence Nikon will push way past 50MP on the next bump up. That's where all companies are going and there are benefits to be had for landcape folks beyond just sheer "printing big". If anybody follows the reviews of DIGLLOYD he has done many articles on oversampling, bayer pattern, comparisons with the grayscale Leica that launched a few years ago vs bayered B&W. some are behind a paywall but there were good reads for anybody who questions why the MP race will continue.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I have no idea how a native adapter could slow things down. Maybe the reference is to EF glass on metabones on Sony?

If you are going to pick on a [first party body] to [first party adaptor] to [first party lens], see if it's out of plane mechanically I guess. But to knock AF speed/consistency/accuracy vs. DPAF on a modern SLR is nonsense.

- A

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Of course you can't, because it doesn't exist. Apparently your personal bias is clouding your memory. A Canon exec did discuss actively pursuing the MILC market even if there is some cannibalization of DSLRs. But any Canon exec who referred to the DSLR segment – which comprises the majority of the ILC market and the majority of Canon's imaging revenue – as 'legacy product lines' would likely be summarily fired, or at best never again permitted to publicly speak on the company's behalf.

What bias are you referring to?

By the way, a company does not defend product lines when it canninalizes them.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
There's more to it than fast lenses, though.

If they price it at $2999 and it's a single slot without IBIS, the YAPODFC camp will come back with a vengeance.

I'm not ready to call this rig a categorical win just yet. I need to see more.

- A
Yes, but I was referring to the bodies as far as that goes (possible -6 ev on this one?). Just got lots of love for big heavy lenses. Anyway, I'm getting a little lost here. Hard to keep up. :)

Upvote 0