Canon said to have scrapped at least one DSLR in development [CR2]

I will not be sad to see the 5Ds (R) go. It was launched too quickly with little thought to where it fits within the canon line. It purpose seems to be out MP Nikon.

Disagree - IMO they launched to sandwich the D800/D810 but did not think abou the LT viability of the product if it was not a major product. Canon has introduced interesting technologies only to abandon them shortly thereafter (e.g., eye control focus).

You make a whole bunch of assertions without any rationale given;

It was launched too quickly
with little thought to where it fits within the canon line
It purpose seems to be out MP Nikon
they launched to sandwich the D800/D810
did not think abou the LT viability of the product

You put out an amazingly bad analogy;
Eye control is a technology. EOS R is a camera and that is part of a new system with accompanying lenses and future bodies.

Even if it is your own opinion you should at least give some reasonable explanation as to how you come to your conclusions. To suggest that Canon would drop the R line because it did not continue using eye control focus is ludicrous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I agree with the first paragraph, but Canon claims only 5 fps in continuous AF. In practice it is worse than that:
"With Servo AF enabled (continuous autofocus), Canon claims the EOS R's max burst speed is 5.0 fps, however we didn't test that in the lab. When shooting Dual Pixel RAW files, the camera drops down to Continuous Low mode which is rated at 3.0 fps for standard files and 2.2 fps for Dual Pixel RAW files. In the lab, the Canon R managed a slightly higher 2.4 fps when shooting DP-RAW or DP-RAW+JPEG files." https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-r/canon-eos-rA6.HTM

So, the EOS R is slower than the 5DSR in practice for fast action.
Agree the EOS R does only 5 fps in servo/continuous AF but not sure it's correct to say it's worse than that in practise. The 2.4 and 2.2 fps figures quoted above are for dual pixel raw files, but dual pixel raw Is slow with any camera, isn't it?

So far as i know, you do get 5 fps with standard raw files with servo/continuous AF with release priority on the EOS R. I understand it drops to 3 fps if you want tracking priority but from the bits and pieces I've read so far the accuracy with release priority is about the same as with tracking priority anyway(?). So, as I understand it, basically the EOS R and 5DSr both get 5 fps with servo/continuous AF with standard raw files. Is that incorrect?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Agree the EOS R does only 5 fps in servo/continuous AF but not sure it's correct to say it's worse than that in practise. The 2.4 and 2.2 fps figures quoted above are for dual pixel raw files, but dual pixel raw ous slow with any camera, isn't it?

So far as i know, you do get 5 fps with standard raw files with servo/continuous AF with release priority on the EOS R. I understand it drops to 3 fps if you want tracking priority but from the bits and pieces I've read so far the accuracy with release priority is about the same as with tracking priority anyway(?). So, as I understand it, basically the EOS R and 5DSr both get 5 fps with servo/continuous AF with standard raw files. Is that incorrect?

That is correct. 5fps for action. Not a speed speed demon by any means but acceptable at a pinch if you use it as an 'all rounder'.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's not just the 5 fps, it's the lack of live feedback at this speed. This is what cameralabs writes in its review: "Even at this relatively leisurely burst speed though, the EOS R won’t provide live feedback between frames so while there’s no blackout, you will be looking at the last frame shot, not what’s actually happening right now. This doesn’t pose much of an issue with subjects approaching face-on, but unpredictable subjects moving from side to side become much harder to follow." You are looking at a subject where it was a 1/5s ago, which won't work for birds in flight across your path etc. The 5DSR, on the other hand, is quite decent for birds in flight.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
It's not just the 5 fps, it's the lack of live feedback at this speed. This is what cameralabs writes in its review: "Even at this relatively leisurely burst speed though, the EOS R won’t provide live feedback between frames so while there’s no blackout, you will be looking at the last frame shot, not what’s actually happening right now. This doesn’t pose much of an issue with subjects approaching face-on, but unpredictable subjects moving from side to side become much harder to follow." You are looking at a subject where it was a 1/5s ago, which won't work for birds in flight across your path etc. The 5DSR, on the other hand, is quite decent for birds in flight.
Fair enough. I think The Digital Picture review of the EOS R makes a generally similar comment.

I am much more interested in the EOS R than I expected to be, but I'm still not sure what I really think about it. Guess I need to try to spend some more time playing with one.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
If not addressed, that might be a deal breaker even for whatever FF mirrorless is coming next. Just seems so limiting and awkward. Long live the SLR!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Disagree - IMO they launched to sandwich the D800/D810 but did not think abou the LT viability of the product if it was not a major product. Canon has introduced interesting technologies only to abandon them shortly thereafter (e.g., eye control focus).

They may make mistakes now and again, but to go through not only camera development but also semiconductor development, testing, verification and validation, and into production with a product they haven’t considered how to market is very un-Canon

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So, the EOS R is slower than the 5DSR in practice for fast action.

Yes and no... Once you hit buffer limits and start writing to card the slower write speed of the 5DSR plus the larger raw size (I'm not bothering with DP RAW on the R) are a massive issue. Putting in a fast UHS-II card in the R makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Yes and no... Once you hit buffer limits and start writing to card the slower write speed of the 5DSR plus the larger raw size (I'm not bothering with DP RAW on the R) are a massive issue. Putting in a fast UHS-II card in the R makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

agree. The UHS-II speeds are impressive

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
They may make mistakes now and again, but to go through not only camera development but also semiconductor development, testing, verification and validation, and into production with a product they haven’t considered how to market is very un-Canon

time will tell. I think that the ultra high MP camera will slow fade away in favor of high quality 30-40 MP cameras. Can the market support the extreme quality lenses needed to get benefit of 50+ MP sensors? In the end I don't think the 5DS line will do well. Canon my keep it to sandwich the D850 ..

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
time will tell. I think that the ultra high MP camera will slow fade away in favor of high quality 30-40 MP cameras. Can the market support the extreme quality lenses needed to get benefit of 50+ MP sensors? In the end I don't think the 5DS line will do well. Canon my keep it to sandwich the D850 ..

Yah it certainly might not be a major success. All I’m saying is they must have thought about their lineup, they didn’t haphazardly expend all the NRE. I bet when they decided to end the 1Ds line they did so with the plan of moving the less demanding product downmarket (even if selling it at all was a miscalculation).

I expect very high resolution cameras to remain niche, though, especially as readout speed processing power improves, affording stacking techniques in camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The D850 is already 45.7 mpx, the A7RIII, 42.4 and Sony is rumoured as producing 60 mpx for themselves and third parties. No way is 30-40 going to be the norm for high quality: it will be 40-60 mpx for the next few years, with less dense sensors for cheaper products or where speed is the major factor.

And, if you think modern lenses are not up to high resolution sensors, look at photozone.de MTF measurements where they are now using both the 5DSR and 5DIII and you can see the increases in resolution.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Yah it certainly might not be a major success. All I’m saying is they must have thought about their lineup, they didn’t haphazardly expend all the NRE. I bet when they decided to end the 1Ds line they did so with the plan of moving the less demanding product downmarket (even if selling it at all was a miscalculation).

I expect very high resolution cameras to remain niche, though, especially as readout speed processing power improves, affording stacking techniques in camera.

Perhaps niche for another cycle. After that? The 5Ds was a stop gap body ...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

The fact is that there are those who will purchase a high MP body. Even a cheap lens will get higher resolution with a 60 mp body, thats a basic of optics. While the gain may not be proportional, its still a gain.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012

Wonder if Canon will take use a technique from the MF cameras. Shift the sensor a fraction of a distance of a photosensor. Works for still life that does not move.

Upvote 0