Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Might as well post the male although the lighting is poor.

Jack
View attachment 183972
This is even better photo, the light is +/- fine (I know what can happen when some parts of the bird are underexposed) I'm pretty confident in the second name I posted.
Agree with the Oriole (but yours has some brown on the face, could be subspecies or different age, I have to read more about it).

BTW, I don't have any literature for this part of the world. I'm just searching the Internet (for me it may be easier - I was almost sure that it's a Wren from Troglodytidae and just searched "Costa Rica wrens").

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I think this is my only shot so ISO 12800 it has to be, and it's the less colourful female. Monteverde cloud forest has huge towering trees and is dense so that short of using flash it is nearly impossible to get good shots. Last minute I decided to leave my flash and better beamer at home.:(

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This is even better photo, the light is +/- fine (I know what can happen when some parts of the bird are underexposed) I'm pretty confident in the second name I posted.
Agree with the Oriole (but yours has some brown on the face, could be subspecies or different age, I have to read more about it).

BTW, I don't have any literature for this part of the world. I'm just searching the Internet (for me it may be easier - I was almost sure that it's a Wren from Troglodytidae and just searched "Costa Rica wrens").

I actually considered that it might be a wren but I'm working with half a deck due to chronic migraines and tedious searching seems to worsen them especially with a computer screen. In other words your help is very much appreciated. Fun to shoot but not so much to cull and ID!

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Better lighting on this guy. If you're considering Costa Rica for a bird shoot, I would strongly suggest researching the area you plan to visit to see if it meets your needs and then go there for a fair number of days rather than traipsing around, two days here, two days there. A last minute change had me book two good areas (one was Quetzal NP) for 4 days each and I'm very thankful for that. Also check into the nesting season, which luckily for me was in progress for the Quetzals.

Jack183974

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shots, Jack.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks click. With the new CR format of likes, in the future rather than posting thanks I'm just going to like the complement - I'm lazy.;)

Just one more to get it out of the way; I'm trying to be organized and keep track. Poor lighting as usual but you take what comes your way.183976

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks click. With the new CR format of likes, in the future rather than posting thanks I'm just going to like the complement - I'm lazy.;)

Just one more to get it out of the way; I'm trying to be organized and keep track. Poor lighting as usual but you take what comes your way.View attachment 183976

Jack
The plant is guava... The bird looks like Crimson-fronted Parakeet to me. It will help if you have different angle (like underwings?).
And - yes I'm lazy, it's a beer time for me, I had a busy last week... Sorry!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The plant is guava... The bird looks like Crimson-fronted Parakeet to me. It will help if you have different angle (like underwings?).
And - yes I'm lazy, it's a beer time for me, I had a busy last week... Sorry!
Yes, I recall being told that it's guava and it is the Crimson-fronted. I seem to recall file names being included but I guess that was discontinued some time back. I should have stated it when I posted. As a bird is ID'ed I create its folder and so far I've got 10 birds and will probably exceed 30 which compared to around here would be some feat. Costa Rica was truly amazing. I assume where you are is pretty amazing too!

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. Alan, it is a birders paradise but like anything it's possible to let your imagination go too far. I had a strange mix of thrill and disappointment. I guess it's like most places, while the birds are there, they don't necessarily show themselves when you'd like and often they are hidden in underbrush where it is dark.

A day is essentially 6 AM to 6 PM and morning is best for light since often clouds roll in in the afternoon, so shooting time is limited. If you decide to go, I could offer some suggestions. My 17 days on the ground were too few in that they didn't allow the necessary sitting around in good places letting the birds come to me.

Jack183990

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Better lighting on this guy. If you're considering Costa Rica for a bird shoot, I would strongly suggest researching the area you plan to visit to see if it meets your needs and then go there for a fair number of days rather than traipsing around, two days here, two days there. A last minute change had me book two good areas (one was Quetzal NP) for 4 days each and I'm very thankful for that. Also check into the nesting season, which luckily for me was in progress for the Quetzals.

JackView attachment 183974
Very nice shots from Costa Rica, Jack!
The one in your post reminds me quite a bit of my Suriname trip of last year ;):p - this bird also likes to go on holiday :D
W.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Right off the bat I have to say that my photos from yesterday are not nearly as colourful as the wonderful photos that Jack has posted. Great shots Jack! Anyway, yesterday I got my first shots of a bald eagle in Ontario, just a bit north of Thamesville. The nest shot is a tight crop and the next 2 are 100% crops. The last is a shot from my cell phone from alongside the camera. The nest was a bit over 100 yards away. Shot with a 5DsR, 100-400L with a 1.4 TC. ISO 800 at F9.5, on tripod.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0