The RF mount “Holy Trinity” should be ready to ship before the end of July 2019 [CR2]

Feb 28, 2013
Guy who bought a "clunky" 5DSr (slow frame rate) now acting upset because a 1DX II+ mirrorless camera isn't available right now from Canon. Shooting style change much? Why not just buy a 1DX Mark II? BTW: Canon doesn't mind if you don't check back until 2095.
Sure been happy with my "clunky" 5DS. I bet the 1DX MKII owner cannot crop & recompose in the way you can with 5DS files.

Upvote 0
Don't agree!
Imagine spending a month in New Zealand, Japan or Utah, to find out, once back at home, that one 64 GB card failed.
Even if you had a second camera, many pictures will be lost forever (sometimes). I experienced this once, and, believe me or not, that's why I sold my cute little R to buy the 5 D IV. The failure occurred with a Leica and Sandisk SD, but , since I'm planning a longer trip to Japan, I wanted to be on the safe side...
And, by the way, why do you think that landscape, stills, portrait have less importance than sports or marriage???

Huh? Does not compute... I would find out that my card has failed during the trip, not when I get home. When I card fails you can no longer write to it since you would get an error. Any corrupted images can't be reviewed either. AND, I don't operate as stupid as that, and I hope other's don't either. Something like water damage, theft etc will cause you to lose everything including that second card. I travel with my ipad. End of each day I will just use cascable to wirelessly transfer that day's photos to my ipad. At least up to 20GB of those images will end up in the cloud. If I have my laptop with me same thing.

So though I am saying that I don't absolutely need a second card (just like everyone with an entry level FF camera pre sony mk3 bodies) doesn't mean that I blindly assume nothing will ever go wrong. I make an educated risk assessment and purchase my gear accordingly. I see the value and potential of the RF mount. So am buying into canon for that amoung other things. I am not going to just buy and invest deep into sony just because of 2 card slots which will definitely find its way into a canon RF body within the next year.

If the two card slots were you prerequisit then surely you haven't owned any of the FE mount cameras pre-mk3 bodies right??? Cause if your answer is that you have, then it wasn't as important to you back then as it has suddenly become in the past year.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...though I am saying that I don't absolutely need a second card (just like everyone with an entry level FF camera pre sony mk3 bodies) doesn't mean that I blindly assume nothing will ever go wrong. I make an educated risk assessment and purchase my gear accordingly...

This.

I would add one more thing. Virtually all high quality cards come with rescue software. Unfortunately, I have had to use the software a time or two. It worked flawlessly. In fact, it recovers not only the images on the card, but images that were previously on the card before the card was formatted for the most recent use.

I get that some people feel strongly about having two card slots. But, that doesn't mean every camera with a single card slot is worthless or that those of us who don't feel as strongly about the issue need to be lectured by those that do feel strongly.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This.

I would add one more thing. Virtually all high quality cards come with rescue software. Unfortunately, I have had to use the software a time or two. It worked flawlessly. In fact, it recovers not only the images on the card, but images that were previously on the card before the card was formatted for the most recent use.

I get that some people feel strongly about having two card slots. But, that doesn't mean every camera with a single card slot is worthless or that those of us who don't feel as strongly about the issue need to be lectured by those that do feel strongly.
Yeah, but if you ever had your pants sued off and your house firebombed by a bridezilla, you’d change your tune right quick. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This.

Actually, the lecturing was coming from the Professional Architectural Photographer knocking the idea that people need two card slots because he had never had a failure. BTW: Nobody said single card cams are worthless. Nobody. Read the thread.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Actually, the lecturing was coming from the Professional Architectural Photographer knocking the idea that people need two card slots because he had never had a failure.

Yup. But, apparently those supposed pros who think 2 card slots is paranoid haven't run into a nasty customer and card failure yet. Economic thrill seekers with a little of Murphy's law thrown in. ;) Then again, they probably don't use contracts or insurance either. Sooner or later, "Should have..." Not to mention all the free word of mouth advertising they'll get. Not smart business on their part.

Yeah that's not lecturing at all.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
With TS 17, it's not about filters, actually. It's about not catching sun flare from behind.
You more likely to catch flares with front filter on than without. The common knowledge is to remove front filters when shooting with strong source or light in the frame. e.g. sun, light poles in night photography, etc.
with rear positioned filter there are much much less chances to catch a FILTER INDUCED flares as reflection path is much shorter.
That said, there is an increased risk of catching up reflection from the sensor back into the lens - an assumption only.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yeah that's not lecturing at all.
You call me, speaking with a like minded individual about the legalities involved in a botched wedding shoot (By a business and from a best practices point of view.), lecturing a guy who doesn't do weddings? Wow. Yeah. Again, read the thread.

"Are you a pro? That why you need two card slots? Cause I see A LOT of non-pro people complaining about it." (Quote from a "Pro" doing some lecturing to what he deems "non-pros".)

Now, I am no pro (I work for a charity as a volunteer), but I do actually need the redundancy of two slots. TBH: Ain't any of anybody's business what somebody else needs or doesn't need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Adorama announced the 85... 2699. I mean I knew they’d be pricey, but 2699 for the 85? Really?

The 70-200 is going to be 2999.

I sure hope not. I'm really looking forward to the trinity announcement. However, if they're all three approaching $3k, I'll have to hold off on buying anyway. I'll have to keep using the EF version with adapters for the foreseeable future...

Upvote 0
Yeah, but if you ever had your pants sued off and your house firebombed by a bridezilla, you’d change your tune right quick. :p

That is why you have choices. I would say that if I were a wedding photographer this would not be the main camera for me. I would keep a close eye on canon for when they do release a 2 slot body, and I would keep using a 5DIV. Remember, the mk3 sony bodies didn't have 2 slots till this past year. Before that they had 1 slot and were slow bodies... meh. So unless these wedding photographers you are referring to switched to sony in the past year, then they are still on canon, and their gear is just as good as they were the year before. Considering lens investments (24-70, 70-200, 85 mm, 50 mm, 35 mm, 16-35, lighting and bodifiers, triggers backup everything etc etc) most pros tend to upgrade in cycles and not on a whim. No wedding photographer would be on the R system yet, cause canon is missing the work horse lenses. NO 24-70 f2.8, no 16-35, no 70-200 yet. So why oh why would a wedding photog pick up an R system with the current lens line up?? Even if canon had a A7III like body they wouldn't necessarily do that.

When this rumored 60+MP body comes out with 2 slots, maybe IBIS, AND the trinity zooms are out, then wedding photogs will be peaked. Till then the EOS R coupled with the 28-70, 50, and now the 85 will be for portait and studio photographers where the single card slot is way way less of an issue.

Upvote 0
Huh? Does not compute... I would find out that my card has failed during the trip, not when I get home. When I card fails you can no longer write to it since you would get an error. Any corrupted images can't be reviewed either. AND, I don't operate as stupid as that, and I hope other's don't either. Something like water damage, theft etc will cause you to lose everything including that second card. I travel with my ipad. End of each day I will just use cascable to wirelessly transfer that day's photos to my ipad. At least up to 20GB of those images will end up in the cloud. If I have my laptop with me same thing.

So though I am saying that I don't absolutely need a second card (just like everyone with an entry level FF camera pre sony mk3 bodies) doesn't mean that I blindly assume nothing will ever go wrong. I make an educated risk assessment and purchase my gear accordingly. I see the value and potential of the RF mount. So am buying into canon for that amoung other things. I am not going to just buy and invest deep into sony just because of 2 card slots which will definitely find its way into a canon RF body within the next year.

If the two card slots were you prerequisit then surely you haven't owned any of the FE mount cameras pre-mk3 bodies right??? Cause if your answer is that you have, then it wasn't as important to you back then as it has suddenly become in the past year.

Upvote 0