Canon increased its global market share of still cameras in 2018

It depends on what you are measuring - for example many of the links you posted were about FF cameras, but they are just a part of the market, and not the biggest ones. While many of us here (and other photo forums) are obsessed with the high-end models (or the ones just below), a lot of sales worldwide are made of a lot of low-end models.

If the numbers are in bodies sold, I think Canon is selling a lot of low-end bodies too, an area where customers may be more sensible to brand recognition, price and availability than spec sheets.
I 100% agree - you've hit the nail on the head. My thoughts here are simply that any results be careful interpreted. As an example, if we're looking at this article, the only fact is Canon is selling more units than anyone else - anything beyond that fact is really speculation. If we're interpreting these results, for example, to say that Canon's EOS R strategy is maintaining Canon's market share advantage, I think that is premature. Don't get me wrong, I really like the R and if I was in the market for a new mirrorless today, I would pick that without a moment of hesitation, but this article doesn't hit R sales specifically, nor does it imply success of any one line.

My point is only that articles which say x company sold more units than y doesn't imply x company is outperforming y across the board, and it doesn't suggest b camera is selling better than c camera. The comment on Fuji is relevant as well - they went up 25% likely on instax sales. Selling loads of very low cost niche products maybe doesn't imply the longevity of Fuji success in the ILC market. In the same way, we wouldn't look at fuji's growth and assume that their medium format must be selling tons of units to increase their unit numbers so much. Again, I'm not disputing the facts, only suggesting that we take it all with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
What are influencers, what or who are they influencing, who crowned them influencers.?
I'm getting more and more convinced that some money must be at stake. Trolling (influencing?) could be a rewarding ($$$)occupation for some self-declared experts. Strange again that there are no Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic or Olympus trolls polluting this forum or the Internet. I keep wondering why. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I'm getting more and more convinced that some money must be at stake. Trolling (influencing?) could be a rewarding ($$$)occupation for some self-declared experts. Strange again that there are no Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic or Olympus trolls polluting this forum or the Internet. I keep wondering why. :unsure:
Maybe troll wannabes think the money is in beating the Sony drum.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
Exactly. Under every news under every site "one specific brand" is mentioned in comments section, even if the news/article isn't about that brand.
.... DR is better.
.... AF is better.
.... lenses are better.
Canon/Olympus sucks, .... rocks!
Thisnis a serious mental issue or that brand is paying people for trolling.

Upvote 0
The comments on such topics get as childish as possible. Marketshare is not necessarily an indication of product quality but rather indication for successful marketing. That being said, i don't aim to suggest Canon is not doing some quality equipment, but currently their target market seem to divide between hi-end professionals who already own a stock of expensive lenses and housewives that easilly accept all the technology hold-backs packed in the less professional equipment... or maybe that autistic looking kid from the 250D add is the new audience... so they secure a market where people doesn't notice the missing universal contact for the flash ... or the fact that Canon is currently the only manufacturer not providing IBIS ... I own 6 Canon lenses, a Canon 600D, a Canon Rebel G (film camera), but i also own a Sony A7 with a Sigma MC11 adapter for canon lenses and one Samyang FE 35mm AF lens, along with a bunch of nice vintage lenses, with adapters for both canon and sony. My Sony with the Samyang lens is smaller and lighter than my 600D with the 24mm pancake. All manufacturers offer good enough quality for plenty of applications, but some features like IBIS, efficient tools for manual focus, eye detect auto-focus, portability make the difference. My patience is running out, currently all the other companies have better offers. I might get another APS-C Canon, because the convenience of having lenses and the benefit of dual-pixel for video, but it might very well be my last Canon camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
And what's wrong with it?
You don't seem to understand!
Good markets (USA, Canada, Japan, Europe etc...) are all buying Wonderful-Sony top -class models.
The other ones :poop:get what they deserve: Canon's housewive cameras.:sick:
Jump ship, as long as you still can, otherwise you're doomed!

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Guys! Time for a reality check here!

I'm not even sure what they are measuring. The story reads as though they are measuring the overall camera market, which would include both DSLRs and Mirrorless and maybe even point and shoots and analog cameras.

Remember too that among digital cameras, APS-C sensor cameras far outsell full frame so don't put too much weight on the sales of Sony, Canon or Nikon full frame mirrorless.
Are you suggesting that a global camera sales report should exclude DSLRs, APSCs and point and shoots? I mean, that is kind of a huge chunk of the market :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Are you suggesting that a global camera sales report should exclude DSLRs, APSCs and point and shoots? I mean, that is kind of a huge chunk of the market :)
Obviously, that was not what I suggested. I stated "don't put too much weight on the sales of Sony, Canon or Nikon full frame mirrorless."

People on this forum tend to grossly exaggerate the impact of high-end cameras on the overall camera market.

Upvote 0
The increasing majority of people use phones for taking photographs and those phones just keep getting better. Market share data that ignores the encroachment of phones doesn't seem to be particulary meaningful. In the end, did it really matter which buggy whip company had the largest market share? I doubt if Canon is throwing a party given the downward trend in sales. The current camera market doesn't appear to be sustainable if camera sales revert to their pre-digital mean which is exactly what they seem to be doing.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Very funny how numbers from independent sources clash with Sony's own released numbers where they brag that they went up to No 2 in worldwide camera sales.... I guess never trust statistics that you didn't fake yourself.

Sorry Sony fanboys :LOL: and still wayyy to go to beat big red.
Sony is #1 in camera sales among brands starting with the letter ‘S’.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0