Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

One note: Sony is saying the A7R IV has better weather sealing. They've said this with every generation. Their repeat failures here is one of the things that has kept me from giving Sony a shot. If you shoot in anything other than dry weather, I would caution you to wait and see if the A7R IV can actually resist rain and snow. I was torn between the 5Ds and the A7R III right up until the test came out that showed the A7R III leaking like a submarine screen door. For me that killed Sony as a choice regardless of any other technology or consideration. It's ridiculous that Sony can't get this right.

Last time rain hit I was shooting the 5Ds + 16-35 f/4L IS and I didn't even pause or hesitate, I just kept hiking and shooting.

That's such an important point that gets often neglected for many outdoor photographers. Such cameras look nice on paper and in a review, but resistance and durability barely ever get tested or even mentioned. I've dropped my 5d mark iv on rocks and in the mud and it still works perfectly. Those are just things that happen if you spend enough time working with your gear.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Darrell Cadieux

6D, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 35, 85, 200 1.8
Canon said they would be the most aggressive camera company in terms of mirror-less development, but Sony certainly isn't taking a wait and see mode. Hopefully the new Canon RF models will be sooner than 2020
2020 will be an explosion of Canon gear as it is an Olympic year and the Olympics are being hosted in Japan. There will be all new models and glass coming...hang on to your hats.

Upvote 0
I have exactly the same requirements and Sony seems to be the best choice. Can get this 60MP camera and have 200-1000mm from 61MP to 22MP.
Basically replaces the 7D2 with better reach and better image quality. Can also add a A6300/6400 for bargain backup which fits in a very small place..
I too am a wildlife shooter currently three 5DIV bodies with 500mm f4, 100-400 II and 70-200 2.8 II, TC's as needed. I recently had the opportunity on a game drive in Zambia to try a Sony A9 and A7III with 400 2.8 and 100-400 lens. The A9 action focus system is superior to the 5DIV and would love to see something equal in Canon's new offerings. But the killer for me is the horrible ergonomics of Sony bodies particularly when used on longer lens. Canon has that down to a perfection and their decision to make the R bodies design follow the DSLR's was brilliant. Hard to judge whether the Sony changes in design of the news body might make a difference to ergonomics.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have exactly the same requirements and Sony seems to be the best choice. Can get this 60MP camera and have 200-1000mm from 61MP to 22MP.
Basically replaces the 7D2 with better reach and better image quality. Can also add a A6300/6400 for bargain backup which fits in a very small place..
In terms of resolution, it's giving you with the 200-600mm f/6.3, 200-600mm, even when you crop by 1.6x. The crop mode lowers the field of view and doesn't increase resolution.

Upvote 0
Nothing else attracts me more than Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L, and Canon RF 16-28mm F2 L.

Basically Canon RF F1.2 primes and F2 zooms are much more important, for pro level photography/equipment in my opinion, than anything else in mirrorless industry. Lenses are much more important than bodies. Canon R body is behind for sure and it will catch up. But if the lens mount has flaw, it is going to stay there for 30 years.

The only thing about Canon RF lenses that bothers me is the prices. Cheaper than Zeiss Otus, Leica M, I know. But still too much.
Canon makes great lenses to be sure, but they aren't going to catch to Sony on mirrorless bodies or video in small cameras any time soon because Sony proves with every release that they are serious about pushing the limits.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon is falling behind. Sony moves forward at a crazy pace. What will the ILC market look like in five years? I can't even imagine.
You'll be running top of the line multiple graphics cards and CPU's, 256GB of ram and 500 TB of drives to hold all the photos. Oh, and a 20,000 btu air conditioning unit to cool it all. That's what. Then the photos won't be any better. But you'd have the most awesome camera in town... until next year. And a blistering 10 frames per second. wow. The wildlife guys will be real happy with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds awesome!!!

But what I really don't understand..why don't lower the res. in the Sony camers in the body!
I m often using with my 5DIV only 17MP.. or sometimes less! I have also done this with my 5DII (22 & 10MP)! This is a feature I dont want to miss!
Sony offers 3 models of the A7 line. The A7s mark III is yet to surface. It is the lowest resolution and is geared to video. The A7 III is the least expensive all-rounder yet does a great job in both video and photo. The A7r is for high res enthusiasts

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I keep digging the hole I am in with Canon deeper and deeper....I just picked up an EF 85 f/1.4 IS in that refurbished sale.

I am really looking forward to it!
Canon's game playing on features to separate camera lines, and unwillingness to go all-in on a small camera swung the decision for me. I loved my camera gear, but started selling a little over a year ago because Canon makes me nervous about investing more in their gear. I only have 2 L lenses left. I held hope for the RF line of cameras, but video falls far short and I tired of waiting on Canon to show the aggressive innovation they showed with the 5D2. Canon has opened the door for Sony, and Sony appears seriously aggressive.

Upvote 0
2020 will be an explosion of Canon gear as it is an Olympic year and the Olympics are being hosted in Japan. There will be all new models and glass coming...hang on to your hats.
We've been holding our hats for many years, and each year it's the same... wait a little longer and Canon will catch up. And with every release Canon crimps their cameras to protect the top of the line. Oh, joy ... keep the faith... Canon is coming. But Sony isn't sitting on their hands. Canon should become a lens company, and release their lenses in sony, nikon, panasonic mounts.... we'd have the best of both worlds, great lenses on great cameras

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0