Canon EOS 90D full specifications

Forgive my lack of knowledge, for I am a stills only guy, but why is 24p so important? What’s wrong with using a different frame rate?
Essentially there’s 6 frames every second that need to be dropped or processed to get down to cinematic 24frames. Though if it’s played back on broadcast tv it’s back at 30. There are endless debates on wether this is worth it or not on the internet. It really comes down to what details you want preserved. Google the hobbit 48fps for some interesting arguments on it, Peter Jackson was the first to really experiment with high frame rates and the results were not as some expected.

Edit: I should have said the internet along with every director, critic and film room editor. FPS arguments have a lot in common with right vs left, nature vs nurture, free will vs destiny, etc. it’s a matter of choice for some that borders on fanatical.

Upvote 0
You aren't paying attention. I'll give you a list.
  • Direct wireless neural interface.
  • Molecule tracking based on DNA detection.
  • 8k/1000p.
  • Radioisotope thermoelectric generator instead of lithium rechargeable batteries.
  • Warp field generator to eliminate weight and inertia.
  • Thin film fluidic lens covering all focal lengths seamlessly.
  • Option to buy two and use them as a long-baseline optical interferometer or a 3D setup.
  • Built-in spectrophotometer for white balance.
  • Built in stabilization not only in our 6 axes, but those of several other universes as well.
Do try to pay attention to the market next time.
Hah, so it's true then: it won't make my coffee for me in the morning!!

That's it, I will not be buying one!

Upvote 0
I can't. 24p is meaningless, outdated and unnecessary.
You can't understand why some people would be frustrated with the lack of a frame rate which is commonly used? Maybe they don't feel that it is meaningless, outdated or unnecessary? Also, considering that the RP can only do 4K in 24p, would that then mean that the RP's highest resolution video mode is meaningless, outdated and unnecessary as well?

To each their own in my opinion - everyone has their own needs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Forgive my lack of knowledge, for I am a stills only guy, but why is 24p so important? What’s wrong with using a different frame rate?
For submitting to certain film festivals and covering film festivals. Footage preferably needs to be at 24p. It's not a must but it makes life easier as that's what the film community has embraced. Once a team of videographers decide to cover an event if everyone has already been set to 24p and you want to join in, it makes life so much easier if you can get 24p out of cam. So having that option is a must. Card running when everyone is covering with different fps settings is at the very least annoying.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
You can't understand why some people would be frustrated with the lack of a frame rate which is commonly used? Maybe they don't feel that it is meaningless, outdated or unnecessary? To each their own in my opinion.

I can't understand why it would be commonly used. It was originally done as a compromise.

To me, it's like not being willing to buy a camera because it doesn't offer 1600x1200 still image mode.

Shoot in 25 or 60 and downsample if you really like the jerky look of 24fps.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
The 90D matches or exceeds (big MP gain) most of the D500's specs and will probably land at a price $300-$500 less (6-12 months out). The D500 has more AF points, but that's not by itself an indicator of tracking performance. The D500 also has dual card slots. What else?

No one here has any idea if a 7D3 or a pro APS-C mirrorless RF are in the pipeline or not. If they are then they would have to 'blow away' the D500's specs to have any separation with the 90D. If they're not, then Canon's market research determined that such a body wouldn't sell enough units in this contracted market. It seems to be difficult for people to understand, but your choices are not set by evil greedy executives at Canon headquarters. They're set by your peers, other photographers. If there's no future 7D3 it's because not enough other photographers want one.

What else? A much higher, and cleaner, ISO and lack of an anti-aliasing filter! A big difference. Many pro-Canon shooters have complained about these two issues on their 7D Mark II cameras.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
True and I understand the motivation, but while I'm not a video shooter either (and don't have a horse in this race) I can understand why some were frustrated with the RP not having the 24/1080 frame rate considering that nearly every other ILC that Canon had sold since the 5DII had the feature, up and down the lineup (the only cameras I can see released after the 5DII that didn't have 24/1080 was the 50D - which didn't have video at all without magic lantern). Even the 4000D has it right now - the RP seems to be the only video-capable ILC Canon made that doesn't have 24/1080. To continue that trend in the 90D seems like a step back.
The RP has 2160p24, which every other Canon ILC since the 5DII has certainly not had.

Maybe the logic is that if you care enough about Le Cinéma to shoot in p24, you’d be foolish to choose 2K over 4K resolution.

Upvote 0
I can't understand why it would be commonly used. It was originally done as a compromise.

To me, it's like not being willing to buy a camera because it doesn't offer 1600x1200 still image mode.

Shoot in 25 or 60 and downsample if you really like the jerky look of 24fps.
If you down sample to 24 from 60 it may stutter, and if you use 25 it won't align with North American lighting standards and may flicker. Again, I'm no video pro, but I'd always read it was best to shoot in whatever frame rate you plan on presenting in (with the exception of 60/30 being transferrable and 25/50 too).

I think part of the reason so many people want it is because bloggers seem to use it a lot and present their videos in that on youtube and motion pictures/documentaries use that frame rate. If I take a sampling of the YouTubers I regularly watch, almost all of them present in 24, so if I were trying to get into video and emulate their content, I would have likely been influenced toward 24 as well, right or wrong.

I edited my previous comment while you were replying I think, but I would also note that the RP only shoots 4K in 24p - so I don't think even Canon would agree that 24 is useless.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
One post by a new user and it's a "poor Canon" troll post. I'm convinced at this point that Sony is paying people to do this.
When these trolls show up as they frequently do, I always picture them as Charlie Brown just before Lucy yanks away the football and he falls on his ass. “I’m going to predict doom for Canon again, and this time I’m just sure I’ll kick that ball!!”

Upvote 0
The RP has 2160p24, which every other Canon ILC since the 5DII has certainly not had.

Maybe the logic is that if you care enough about Le Cinéma to shoot in p24, you’d be foolish to choose 2K over 4K resolution.
If that were true then the R, 5D IV, and M50 likely wouldn't have 24/1080 either, so I'm not sure I'd buy into that logic. The outcome here is that no-matter how you slice it you can't have 24p video footage at 1080 or higher without a crop on the RP. I have no issue with segmentation, but omitting 24/1080 just seems odd to me and not in the "Canon has cheated me from something it owes me" way; in the "I don't understand the plan here" way. If they wanted to push people who want that feature to move up a level for the R, they could have just as easily removed the headphone or mic jack, which could have (theoretically) brought down manufacturing costs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If that were true then the R, 5D IV, and M50 likely wouldn't have 24/1080 either, so I'm not sure I'd buy into that logic. The outcome here is that no-matter how you slice it you can't have 24p video footage at 1080 or higher without a crop on the RP. I have no issue with segmentation, but omitting 24/1080 just seems odd to me and not in the "Canon has cheated me from something it owes me" way; in the "I don't understand the plan here" way. If they wanted to push people who want that feature to move up a level for the R, they could have just as easily removed the headphone or mic jack, which could have (theoretically) brought down manufacturing costs.
So three older cameras have something and two (maybe three if you count the M6, I honestly have no idea whether it’s there or not) newer cameras lack it. There is logic there.

Upvote 0
People have complained about this being an insufficient upgrade from the 7D II, but I think I'd be plenty happy trading in my 7D II for it. I've never used dual cards, and the frame rate is just as fast; the one thing that I haven't seen anybody mention is the fantastic battery life! 1300 shots is almost double that of the estimate for the 7D II, and that can be almost doubled again with the grip. It's also lighter even than the 80D, and it's still got weather sealing and a fully articulated screen. As long as the buffer isn't completely garbage, I just may pick this up. It'd probably be my last DSLR, though; I mainly need something responsive enough for wildlife, and mirrorless cameras, with their viewfinder lag, don't quite cut it yet.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I don't see the logic in thinking that the next iteration of the XXD line will be a successor to the 7D line. Grasping at CR1 straws me thinks. There has always been a gulf between the two and a typical Canon baby step upgrade will not be a bridge you hope and want simply due to the higher end model 's line demise. If wishes were fishes. I would rather read and hear about the 80D to 90D differences and improvements and leave the 7D out of the discussion. It's tiring.

Upvote 0
So three older cameras have something and two (maybe three if you count the M6, I honestly have no idea whether it’s there or not) newer cameras lack it. There is logic there.
Not exactly, 1080/24 is in every ILC Canon has made since the 5DII except the RP and the 50D (which didn't have video at all) based on my limited review. I have yet to find an other ILC made by Canon that does not have 1080/24 since they started putting video into mirrorless or DSLR cameras (in all honesty I'd be happy to be proven wrong here). I used the M50, 5DIV, and R in my example because they're the only ones with 4K at all and are most directly comparable, which suggests (to me anyway) that Canon has been willing to put 24p into cameras at both 4K and 1080p resolution. Maybe that is indeed changing moving forward, or maybe it is just omitted info - we'll know soon.

Again, I'm not trying to troll here as I don't care about video at all, I just don't get the decision, where I usually find Canon's decisions understandable.

Edit - I found 2 that didn't have 1080/24 but were released after the 5DII - the T1 and T1i, though I suspect that was more hardware limitation and not marketing choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
People have complained about this being an insufficient upgrade from the 7D II, but I think I'd be plenty happy trading in my 7D II for it.

I wouldn't. I have an 80D and it's harder and slower to use. The joystick will help but the AF point selection method and the options are worse.

I've never used dual cards,
I use them almost every time I shoot.

and the frame rate is just as fast; the one thing that I haven't seen anybody mention is the fantastic battery life! 1300 shots is almost double that of the estimate for the 7D II,

I've taken 2,250 shots and 30 minutes of video, all with IS, on 90% of one battery on my 7DII.

Upvote 0
They removed it because it if was included the footage would be too similar to what can be done in their Cinema cameras and potentially cost them some sales of their Cinema cameras (using Canon logic). Canon seems to be systematically removing it from their new cameras to create market separation even though predecessor models had p24. IE: G7X II had p24, G7X III doesn't. 80D has p24, 90D won't.

I expect we're going to find out that the crop free 4K on the 90D and the M6 II are not full sensor readout scaled down to 4K. I'm guessing it's either line skipping or pixel binned and scaled to 4K. Hence the "through image processing" * in the promo videos.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0