Canon EOS 90D full specifications

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Without my knowing it, LR had gone in to my Photos files and had uploaded 100 GB before I had culled them.

That verges on criminal, IMHO. Some people have monthly data limits (mobile data) and for some damn piece of software to just hog up that much data without warning you its doing so...well, I'd hate to see the bill of anyone who doesn't have throttling turned on in their plan...and I'd hate to be them if they do, wondering why their internet speeds suck so badly because they've been throttled since, oh, about five hours into the new billing cycle.

Upvote 0
Without my knowing it, LR had gone in to my Photos files and had uploaded 100 GB before I had culled them, and it also used up storage on my iPad by storing files that I had subsequently deleted from Photos. My workflow is to download, back up all on an external hard drive and then after culling upload to the cloud. A quick internet search found lots of complaints about LR doing this and people unable to disable the harvesting functions. I was able to stop it by denying LR access to Photos, and I then had to delete the LR files. I can understand that the automatic upload is fine for you, but not for me.
According to Adobe, this is setup automatically with its creative cloud editions of Lightroom. Did you by chance forget to turn that off when you install it?

“Yes, Lightroom automatically backs up all your photographs to the cloud and lets you access and work with your photos from any desktop or mobile device.”

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
According to Adobe, this is setup automatically with its creative cloud editions of Lightroom. Did you by chance forget to turn that off when you install it?

“Yes, Lightroom automatically backs up all your photographs to the cloud and lets you access and work with your photos from any desktop or mobile device.”

Do you read all the small print every time you log into a webpage and tick a box?

Upvote 0
Do you read all the small print every time you log into a webpage and tick a box?
It wasn’t only the fine print but one of, if not the main, advertised feature of the new crap Adobe is putting out. Obviously I’m staunchly against it, but I suppose for some it certainly is a better option than working offline. Either way, there’s no way this was only in the fine print.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It wasn’t only the fine print but one of, if not the main, advertised feature of the new crap Adobe is putting out. Obviously I’m staunchly against it, but I suppose for some it certainly is a better option than working offline. Either way, there’s no way this was only in the fine print.
I installed the app from the AppStore. It didn’t say anywhere during the installation procedure that the app would automatically access my Photos Albums, transfer files to LR and upload them. It might have been advertised elsewhere, but not then.

Upvote 0
Interesting how people are happy to spent $$$$ on cameras, lenses and anything they need/want to fulfil the ambitions they have with their hobby but really resent paying a (quite small) subscription fee to get access to really valuable pieces of software (LR/PS etc)
Most services are based on subscriptions these days which you can highly customise and easily cancel....what about Dropbox, OneDrive or Netflix & Spotify ( do you prefer to buy DVDs and CDs?). Not sure why these ones are ok but Adobe 'just wants your money' :)

You can still buy versions of LR or/and PS for a flat fee but then you don't get updates etc.. You also don't have to use the cloud based versions if you don't want your photos to be uploaded to the Adobe space.
Plenty of options.

Upvote 0
I installed the app from the AppStore. It didn’t say anywhere during the installation procedure that the app would automatically access my Photos Albums, transfer files to LR and upload them. It might have been advertised elsewhere, but not then.
Well, that seems like a different issue. Any app must specifically request permission to access albums within Photos. I was under the impression you were talking about the automatic uploading of photos imported into Lightroom.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Interesting how people are happy to spent $$$$ on cameras, lenses and anything they need/want to fulfil the ambitions they have with their hobby but really resent paying a (quite small) subscription fee to get access to really valuable pieces of software (LR/PS etc)
Most services are based on subscriptions these days which you can highly customise and easily cancel....what about Dropbox, OneDrive or Netflix & Spotify ( do you prefer to buy DVDs and CDs?). Not sure why these ones are ok but Adobe 'just wants your money' :)

You can still buy versions of LR or/and PS for a flat fee but then you don't get updates etc.. You also don't have to use the cloud based versions if you don't want your photos to be uploaded to the Adobe space.
Plenty of options.

My problem with subscription services isn't so much the price, but that they might go away. Another issue is that on e.g. dropbox you can log in with your google ID, which google can block at will.
And yes, for movies and series I really like I do get the physical disk. Netflix is more convenient, but I hard a hard time explaining to my 2 year old why she couldn't watch Timmy Time anymore because netflix deleted it (and the DVDs took a few days to arrive).

My day job is for a storage provider, so I might be a bit more paranoid about backups and redundancy than the average person :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, that seems like a different issue. Any app must specifically request permission to access albums within Photos. I was under the impression you were talking about the automatic uploading of photos imported into Lightroom.
It’s not a different issue, that was the issue all along! If you had read the original post and then the next set of replies that quoted it, you would have seen the whole issue.

Upvote 0

Sergio Smorovoz

5D + 50 f/1.2L
Oct 17, 2018
Moscow
smorovoz.com
More pixels also = more resolution, and it's possible that the later could out way the former provided the glass can out resolve the sensor. That was pretty much my question. Kinda important for me cause I don't focus stack and shoot at F11 all the way to 5x -like this

Diffraction-Limited-Aperture
You will find "DLA" referenced in many of the DSLR camera reviews on the site. DLA is an acronym for Diffraction Limited Aperture. This aperture value is the result of a mathematical formula that approximates the aperture where diffraction begins to visibly negatively affect image sharpness at the pixel level.

Canon 80D DLA - f/6.0

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You will find "DLA" referenced in many of the DSLR camera reviews on the site. DLA is an acronym for Diffraction Limited Aperture. This aperture value is the result of a mathematical formula that approximates the aperture where diffraction begins to visibly negatively affect image sharpness at the pixel level.

Canon 80D DLA - f/6.0
You will find it discussed here

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Canon 80D DLA - f/6.0

The next three paragraphs of Bryan's article about DLA at The-Digital-Picture:

"Diffraction at the DLA is only barely visible when an image is viewed at full-size (100%, 1 pixel = 1 pixel) on a monitor or when output to a very large print. As sensor pixel density increases (on any brand camera), the narrowest aperture we can use to get perfectly pixel-sharp images gets wider.

DLA does not mean that narrower apertures should not be used – it is simply the point where image sharpness begins to be compromised for increased DOF and longer exposures.

And, higher resolution sensors generally continue to deliver more detail than lower resolution sensors at apertures narrower than the DLA – until the "Diffraction Cutoff Frequency" is reached. The progression from sharp to soft as the aperture narrows beyond DLA is not an abrupt one – and the change from immediately prior camera models to new models is usually not dramatic."

Upvote 0