Moon photos

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Cool shots everyone!

I tried to get around the low light by taking a lot of images and stacking them. I'm not to sure about my settings, but I think I'm happy with it for now. Stack of 300 Images, deconvolution in Photoshop using smart sharpen, Sharpening in Registax.

They stacked quite nicely!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Cool shots everyone!

I tried to get around the low light by taking a lot of images and stacking them. I'm not to sure about my settings, but I think I'm happy with it for now. Stack of 300 Images, deconvolution in Photoshop using smart sharpen, Sharpening in Registax.View attachment 182803

Wowww! What an amazing shot, Joules! Superb shot! :love:

I just love this pic! Good job, Joules! Keep it up! (y)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Tonight I noticed that the moon was very close to Jupiter in the sky, so when I got home, I tried a few shots, manual exposure and focus, handheld. Exposure needs to be in a range where Jupiter shows up, but the sunny side of the moon doesn't blow out. I could have stacked several of the shots to get more detail, but I thought a couple of them weren't bad as they were. This shot is cropped but not resized, so zoomed in, it doesn't look like they were that close together. I did use the brightness slider a bit in ACR to recover detail in the highlights. Given the terrible DR of the 6D2, you see only the moon and Jupiter. A Sony would have shown deep space objects, too.

This was taken handheld with the 100–400mm II zoom on my 6D2, 8:30:43 pm EDT from my front yard; ISO 3200, 1/320 sec., f/6.3.

moonandjupiter.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hi Steve.
Nice shot.
“Given the terrible DR of the 6D2, you see only the moon and Jupiter.” :unsure::unsure::oops:
“A Sony would have shown deep space objects, too.” :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

Who needs a Hubble Space Telescope to take extreme deep field exposures over a period of months, when you've got a Sony?

• Haha
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I sent this picture to some friends. One wrote back (using reply all) to ask me if I took the picture with my cell phone. The guy is not an idiot. I might have replied more harshly if I wasn't about to spend a month traveling with him. Instead, I did this reduction in Photoshop after a bit of math to simulate what the photo would have looked like if taken with my iPhone 6S. I may have been a bit optimistic/generous in my assumptions. Even so, Jupiter got lost in the process.
iphoneversion.jpg

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Hi Steve.
I’d like to believe you, but aren’t the two statements, “One wrote back (using reply all)” and “The guy is not an idiot.” mutually exclusive? :oops::ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.
Sometimes really smart people do rather stupid things.

Sometimes "reply all" is a way to communicate with mutual friends. It's not like I had sent it to a lot of folks. I did "reply all" for the response.

He has a rather nice crop-sensor Nikon, so he should know better. Maybe he has never tried to take picture of the moon. In person, it looks humongous, especially right after it rises, but is only 1/2 degree in the field of view.

He travels with one lens that has a fairly wide zoom range. I just replaced my G7X II with a G5X II, and will probably take both along.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Maybe he has never tried to take picture of the moon. In person, it looks humongous, especially right after it rises, but is only 1/2 degree in the field of view.

Last year I managed to take recognizable (barely) pictures of Saturn, Jupiter and Mars with nothing more than the Tamron 18-400 on a 24 MP APS-C camera, and 100% crops. I could probably do a better job now (exposures too long; thus atmospheric turbulence issues) but I'd want a lens a bit faster at 400mm. I doubt I'd get as good results on a full frame (because of the resolution issues) unless it had similar pixel size, i.e., 61-62 MP.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Perhaps the advantage for full frame is lower noise at a high ISO. I did some bracketing starting with loony eleven and getting lighter, since the moon wasn't full, and I didn't want to lose Jupiter. The IS is really good in that lens, but I didn't want to go slower than 1/200. I found that my best shots were at ISO 3200. I can't see any noise problem. What you see is 100% crop, so you are pixel peeping.

My guess is that if I had done more careful math, the reduction would have been even greater. Maybe I'll take a shot at the moon tonight with my phone if I think about it. I just used the ratio of focal lengths and the relative megapixels, so somewhat simplistic.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Don.
We have a family friend that was a lecturer (metallurgy I believe) at a university. He completely rebuilt his Caterpillar D4, nut from bolt, tracks down to individual components, started it up, drove out of the workshop, tested it across the farm yard and took out all the services, looked back at the carnage and laughed like a drain!
Walking the fine line between genius and madman!

Cheers, Graham.

I work in a research lab with some VERY smart people, and yes, at times we can do phenomenally dumb things.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It is full moon tonight, plus a bonus with Jupiter near the moon.
I went out to the neighborhood for a few shots of these two objects in the sky.
5D3, 70-200 ISO II with 2xII, shot at about 400mm, f/10, 3/10sec., showed Jupiter ok cropped to about 20%. Jupiter's moons can be seen! Really exciting. However, I can seem to get cyclone eye on jupiter's surface. Just don't have the reach, perhaps GAS can help. Also, there was quite a bit of wind shaking the camera/lens assembly so can get very crisp image.
I can get both Jupiter and our moon in the same frame, but the moon is terribly over exposed.
Perhaps I can interest someone with better experience to shoot much better images (than I) and post here.
-r

It's been quite a while, but I'll chip in here.

In my experience, by the time exposure is bright enough to reveal Jupiter's moons, the surface of the planet is pretty much totally blown out. If exposure is reduced enough to make out details of Jupiter's surface, the moons are lost in the noise floor.

Upvote 0