Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Deer, they will eat almost everything. That is why I had to build a deer fence. My wife said no fence, no garden, and she likes to garden. And I even managed to have birds in this photo to keep it legit! We are very lucky. We basically live in the city but have all sorts of wildlife around. Whidbey Island looks like it would be a great place to take photos of wildlife. The south end of the island seems to be the more forested area.

View attachment 189182
There are no police on this thread so you could get away with a deer photo. ;) I think?:unsure: We'll see, cause her is one of my friends misbehaving.

I planted a number of small trees and you know what happened. It's tedious to encircle each tree but I've had to. Now a garden of about 50' x 50' is an even bigger problem but so far 54" stucco wire is doing the trick. The deer don't jump it but these guys have once.

JackMoose_Y_Male_04.JPGYum_37640.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi.
I have been wracking my brain to think of places locally where I would be able to go to take photos where there won’t be other people about, so far I’ve drawn a blank, can’t think of anywhere I have been that I haven’t seen other people. ☹☹
The more remote I think of, (On a 23x13 mile island remote is relative) the more likely someone else will be doing the same thing, trying to get away from Corona!

Cheers, Graham.
Come to my place. Trouble is it's rather cold here! .... and there are few birds. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Deer, they will eat almost everything. That is why I had to build a deer fence. My wife said no fence, no garden, and she likes to garden. And I even managed to have birds in this photo to keep it legit! We are very lucky. We basically live in the city but have all sorts of wildlife around. Whidbey Island looks like it would be a great place to take photos of wildlife. The south end of the island seems to be the more forested area.

View attachment 189182

That is a very cool looking set up.

Whidbey is amazing. I was in the military for 30 years and we've lived all over the world as a result and when we got to Whidbey we looked at each other and knew we were never going to leave. It is unique in the world (like lots of places).

Probably 95 percent of the photos I've taken since I first picked up a camera (the year we moved here - imagine that) are taken within a couple of miles of my house.

I'm biased and I know it but if anyone ever has the chance to come up in this area they should come have a look. It's good for the soul. It's graveyard quiet except for the critters doing what they do and the nights are as black as coal.

I still haven't adjusted to Pacific Standard Time.. ARG..

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
There are no police on this thread so you could get away with a deer photo. ;) I think?:unsure: We'll see, cause her is one of my friends misbehaving.

I planted a number of small trees and you know what happened. It's tedious to encircle each tree but I've had to. Now a garden of about 50' x 50' is an even bigger problem but so far 54" stucco wire is doing the trick. The deer don't jump it but these guys have once.

JackView attachment 189188View attachment 189189
Okay Jack, you got me jealous. You've got BIG deer! :) Spike5439web.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I still haven't adjusted to Pacific Standard Time.. ARG..

Not to be "that guy," but what you haven't adjusted to is Pacific Daylight Time. Pacific Standard Time is without the phony hour tacked on, where the sun is actually somewhere near the meridian at "12:00" instead of not close to it yet because it's really "11:00."

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Okay, back to birds. The Grackle on the right is probably the classic photo of the species but I got lucky and it turned so the sun showed off all its colours. And we end with a sparrow, so common they are usually ignored. BTW, 5DsR, 100-400L +1.4 TC

View attachment 189193

View attachment 189194
WOW, now tell the truth.:) Did you enhance the colours just a wee bit?;) Of course I wouldn't expect a public apology if you did or any enquiry into whether I ever do.:unsure:Common Grackle_s_2958.JPG

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, back to birds. The Grackle on the right is probably the classic photo of the species but I got lucky and it turned so the sun showed off all its colours. And we end with a sparrow, so common they are usually ignored. BTW, 5DsR, 100-400L +1.4 TC
I never ignore sparrows. Here is one in honour of the Canadians, taken in Lunenberg, Nova Scotia, with a 7DII + 100-400mm II + 1,4xTC.

915A2597_DxO_sparrowA.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
WOW, now tell the truth.:) Did you enhance the colours just a wee bit?;) Of course I wouldn't expect a public apology if you did or any enquiry into whether I ever do.:unsure:View attachment 189195

Jack
WOW, Really Jack! I didn't expect such scepticism from a fellow Canuck. ;) Yes, it's in my yard. And, I shoot raw. That means there are sliders to slide and don't we all like a good slide. But I do not go overboard unless it is obvious like in this shot of my house at HalloweenHousePumpkins2709HzSatWeb.jpg.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
By Gosh! That's a genuine Blue Nose Sparrow!
Hmm, come to Canada to photograph an English sparrow? :unsure: Maybe I'll end up photographing magpies in England. ;)

Jack
WOW, Really Jack! I didn't expect such scepticism from a fellow Canuck. ;) Yes, it's in my yard. And, I shoot raw. That means there are sliders to slide and don't we all like a good slide. But I do not go overboard unless it is obvious like in this shot of my house at HalloweenView attachment 189197.
Now that's colour. Wish my yard looked like that right now! I'll have to show my wife the pumpkins - you grow all those??!

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Beautiful colours. Very nice shots, Aaron.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
WOW, now tell the truth.:) Did you enhance the colours just a wee bit?;) Of course I wouldn't expect a public apology if you did or any enquiry into whether I ever do.:unsure:

When the Common Grackle (bronzed) has it's back to you and the sun is at the right angle, it looks exactly as his photos show. The coloring in your photo is only showing off the colors on the head and neck area, because of the angle.

Jeremy

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
  • Haha
Upvote 0