Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

Jul 16, 2012
I torn between wanting it to be a $500 loss leader and being so expensive I cant even think about getting it.

Its a lottery because we have no idea which way they'll go. The general predictions have been towards more expensive as the market contracts and our Oz dollar just went down the toilet anyhow, so if its less than a small house here Ill be amazed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
No, but perhaps to sell more RF glass. Get them in the door....
To grab market share. In a shrinking market that is ultra important. It is like musical chairs - someone will be left without a chair (ie. exiting the market) and Canon doesn't want it to be them.
The same reason anyone sells a loss leader, to bring people into the store. Or in this case, bring people into the Canon system (or to keep them there.)

All just wishful thinking.

No reason to think Canon needs any incentive to sell more RF glass, or is having any problem grabbing market share, bringing people into the Canon system or holding on to existing customers.

They already have a bargain full frame body in the RP. In addition we don't know where they will price the R6 or what they will do with R pricing. They may price the R5 aggressively, but anyone who thinks it will be a "loss leader" is doing some serious hallucinogens.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
I'm not taking the idea that seriously, I just think it's possible.

I wish we knew more about the R6. My needs would be met without pro features like 8k, high frame rates, or dual card slots. With any luck, my card will fail and the world will be spared from having to see my terrible photos.

I want just a bit more than the R, so the R6 might be in the sweet spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I have read a lot about the camera here and elsewhere.
Even if this falls short of its most ambitious aspirations, it still delivers far more than what my current gear offers and would help my business.
That being said, I won't rush to buy as business is slow at the moment and may not pick up quickly.
When I feel flush I hope they have some sales.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Just how much of an improvement are you looking for?
Canon's later sensors have closed the gap to a point of falling short in only the most abusive situations.
I think Canon will pleasantly surprise us with their new sensor/s.
I shoot architecture and have very extreme brightness ranges to work with and the biggest challenge I have is masking more than the ability of the file to hold up.
"the RAW file is dirt compared to Sony and Nikon". When you read something like this you know it's not worth responding to.

Jack

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
What if they gave for testers right cameras but with wrong sensor?
R6 testers used camera with 1dx3 sensor.
R5 testers used camera with R6 sensor.
Rs testers used R5 with Rs sticker on it.
Seriously 45mpixel sounds few when 108mpix phones.
Sounds like R5 tries be best on everything ,why wouldnt they be on megapixels too?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Don't know why there is all this talk about Canon maybe selling the R5 as a loss leader. First of all, none of you will ever know the margin on the product. Second, it makes far more sense that an RP or R is used for such a purpose IF Canon makes a practice of such a policy. It is a useless and frivolous discussion point.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What if they gave for testers right cameras but with wrong sensor?
R6 testers used camera with 1dx3 sensor.
R5 testers used camera with R6 sensor.
Rs testers used R5 with Rs sticker on it.
Seriously 45mpixel sounds few when 108mpix phones.
Sounds like R5 tries be best on everything ,why wouldnt they be on megapixels too?
Why would you compare phone sensors to FF sensors?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Why would you compare phone sensors to FF sensors?
why not ,they are cameras too ? main competitor of canon.
well i guess you bit right ,they got 4 lense and 4 sensor i guess?
Anyway samsung got now high megapixel crown and its commercial value . when talking about under 10k cameras

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
why not ,they are cameras too ? main competitor of canon.
well i guess you bit right ,they got 4 lense and 4 sensor i guess?
Anyway samsung got now high megapixel crown and its commercial value . when talking about under 10k cameras
Because a high density sensor behind a tiny lens serves a different purpose than a giant sensor behind a giant array of optics.

Otherwise, the world cup would be filmed and photographed, broadcast and published on Galaxy smartphones.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Because a high density sensor behind a tiny lens serves a different purpose than a giant sensor behind a giant array of optics.

Otherwise, the world cup would be filmed and photographed, broadcast and published on Galaxy smartphones.
The need for 108mp in a phone is questionable at best. We speak of $3000 lenses that may or may not resolve above 60mp, how can a plastic dot resolve 108?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Love
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
So now I am only concerned about price. Looks very similar to 1DX mark III, but it is not the R1. Sure the full specs may tell a different story. I hope it is priced at the 5D level or it is going to be very expensive as the Canadian dollar keeps sliding on health and market concerns :(

I agree, it has to come in at the $3,500. max USD price and better yet $3,399 USD. No real reason they cannot do this either.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So now I am only concerned about price. Looks very similar to 1DX mark III, but it is not the R1...

Some thoughts about this.

What we don't know and cannot know until the camera is actually in people's hands is how well it performs in comparison to a DSLR. The eye autofocus sounds very intriguing, but will it work as well as people hope? It's one thing to be able to select the eye as the focus point, it is quite another to be able to lock on that eye and follow it consistently, whether it is a basketball player on the court (should we ever see another basketball player on the court again :) ) or a bird flying by.

Given the challenges that are unique to electronic viewfinders I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if the reaction and speed of the autofocus can match that of a DSLR. (Just trying to be realistic).

The R1 is, at this point, only a rumor. It is probably at least a year away and maybe longer. I think it will only come if Canon can address the unique challenges presented by electronic viewfinders, as they will not want to release a product with a "1" designation that doesn't live up to expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Some thoughts about this.

What we don't know and cannot know until the camera is actually in people's hands is how well it performs in comparison to a DSLR. They eye autofocus sounds very intriguing, but will it work as well as people hope? It's one thing to be able to select the eye as the focus point, it is quite another to be able to lock on that eye and follow it consistently, whether it is a basketball player on the court (should we ever see another basketball player on the court again :) ) or a bird flying by.

Given the challenges that are unique to electronic viewfinders I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if the reaction and speed of the autofocus can match that of a DSLR. (Just trying to be realistic).

The R1 is, at this point, only a rumor. It is probably at least a year away and maybe longer. I think it will only come if Canon can address the unique challenges presented by electronic viewfinders, as they will not want to release a product with a "1" designation that doesn't live up to expectations.

I agree with everything twith the exception of the R1. The R1 is pure speculation. There are no current rumours on this. When I was talking about the R1, it is a placeholder that I expect to be filled ;) I don't want to be spreading rumours without merit. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I expect that the R5 won't be released until at least Sept. I hope I'm wrong.

With all the cancelled events such as weddings and concerts, now is not the time for introduction of a new and pricey camera. Photographers just like everyone else will hunker down.

Canon will want to make a big splash with cameras flying off shelves and life returning to normal with delayed events coming back. That will be the time to introduce it, not this Spring.

Silver lining: it appears China is starting to get back to normal with stores and business reopening.

Upvote 0