Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I've never found Tony to hate Canon, or any other brand. He calls things as he sees them like most of us do. We all make predictions and who can totally accurately predict the future? His praise of Canon RF lenses is one of the reasons I became interested in their system and am eagerly awaiting a better mirrorless body to match their great lenses. Of all the reviewers I see online, I'd have to say Tony & Chelsea are among the best there are.
Wow, I must have seen the wrong videos! The early R5 video was ... I'm speechless.:) I really don't care and don't generally view Tony but ... I was hungering for anything R5, so shame on me.;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I can imagine the internal debate at Canon now - one side of the table is saying that for each month of delay, they can charge a little more since people have more time to save, and the other side of the table is saying that due to the adverse effect of the Wuhan virus on the economy, each month delay means they have to charge a little less since people haven't been earning.

Who's correct?

And remember, the camera is priced in Yen, so the exchange rate instability has to be considered.

They'll most likely price it high and discount it accordingly.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
And this is what worries me, our currency has plummeted to a record low, the last time it was so low was in 1981... and the 1dx3 was nearly $2500 more expensive than the 1dx2 event though in USD they were the same...
Please say where "here" is so we have an idea how to relate to the comment.

Jack

Upvote 0
The problem with GPS modules is the power consumption i.e. it drains the battery. With low CIPA rating of DSLMs wirh GPS it would get worse. A smarter way is via BlueTooth (newest BT is low power) of a phone with GPS.
So let's drain the phone and make the camera dependant on the phone connection and phone battery.
Also BT connection means 'send and receive' for camera, GPS is 'receive' only, I'm not sure if BT is less power hungry in this case.
In-camera GPS is easy to disable in case it drains too much.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Good thinking. Kit lens package at $4995 makes an absolutely commercial sense (24-105/4). Thank you.
I think they also should do a kit-deal with the 24-70, I think a lot of people are interested in both the R5 and a serious standard zoom, and if we can save some by buying them together, I think a lot of people will. I think a lot of people have no interest in the 24-105 and lots of interest in the 24-70. I have always hated the only good deal is with a lens I don’t want..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
So let's drain the phone and make the camera dependant on the phone connection and phone battery.
Also BT connection means 'send and receive' for camera, GPS is 'receive' only, I'm not sure if BT is less power hungry in this case.
In-camera GPS is easy to disable in case it drains too much.

A typical power consumption for GPS is 80mW while BT 4.0 is 10mW. The real difference is larger because of the protocol (power modes). And yes, it makes sense to use the battery of the phone instead of the camera.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I think they also should do a kit-deal with the 24-70, I think a lot of people are interested in both the R5 and a serious standard zoom, and if we can save some by buying them together, I think a lot of people will. I think a lot of people have no interest in the 24-105 and lots of interest in the 24-70. I have always hated the only good deal is with a lens I don’t want..
Correct. 24-70/2.8 lens kit at $5750 or AUD$9000-$9500.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

A odd take on it perhaps. I think it wont be kitted with a f/2.8 lens as they might dwarf it a bit and make it look less appealing to the masses than this 'small' FF camera with a f/4 lens. Just purely on aesthetics. Also prior models unless I am mistaken have been kitted with a f/4 lens.

Upvote 0
It’s not really a matter of learning how to use it. You just turn it on in the menus and geographic info will be in your metadata. It’s a question of why to use GPS. Some don’t need it, and some are a bit paranoid about using it. In the case of my macro-nature photos—mostly arthropods and various wild flora in situ—location data is mandatory because my photos are of no use to scientific or educational institutions without information on the location of the organism. In the case of my RP, which lacks built-in GPS, I make an iPhone photo at the scene and copy the coordinates to the scientific image In Lightroom Classic. Sometimes the Lr Maps feature provides sufficient accuracy.

I would love to have GPS on my RP, but, unlike you, I have no real good reason to want it. I guess I just like to look at the map in Lightroom to find pictures I'm not really looking for. And it's fun.

When I know I'm going to be moving around while shooting (walking in a forest, a city, anywhere), I bring with me my Garmin training watch and I simply turn it on. I then use the «relevé d'itinéraire» and «balisage automatique» in Lightroom (sorry, I don't know what it's called in English, I guess you're going to hate that and think I'm a dumb illiterate). Boom! All my photos are geotagged!

It's a good and easy way to have GPS without draining the camera's battery.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The problem with GPS modules is the power consumption i.e. it drains the battery. With low CIPA rating of DSLMs wirh GPS it would get worse. A smarter way is via BlueTooth (newest BT is low power) of a phone with GPS.
Well I've tried that and found it really clunky, on the other hand with the 1DX MkII with the GPS set to Mode 2 I really don't see a difference in battery drain.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't think sensor heat is the bottleneck for 8k compression, it's more likely the Digic X. For RAW video the Digic doesn't really have to do anything, the sensor can basically dump the data straight to the card, no processing needed. The h.26x family trades file size for complexity, so you'll need a lot of processing to encode it. The Digic likely has dedicated hardware for all codecs, but even with that, I predict it will generate quite some heat for high resolution h.265.

it's a bit of both. consider that canon put heat conducting strips on sensors before. but also .. pipelining 12Gb/sec of data is harder than pipelining 10Gb/sec.

It really depends on the efficiency of the encoders. Also h.265 from my recollection is supposed to be easier to encode than h.264.

at this point we don't know what's going on .. smiles. but we do know for whatever reason 5.5K60P does not offer DPAF yet 8k30p does. both have the same pixel/sec transfer rates.

Upvote 0
I've concluded I will be making my 5D3 into a full spectrum camera, since the trade-in value is looking to be too low to be worthwhile.

And I've always wanted to experiment in that area.
you'll love it. however to be honest, you'll have less struggle with a mirrorless camera as a full spectrum camera than a DSLR.

Upvote 0
A typical power consumption for GPS is 80mW while BT 4.0 is 10mW. The real difference is larger because of the protocol (power modes). And yes, it makes sense to use the battery of the phone instead of the camera.
What is important here is watts-hour though, Wh. In-camera GPS only gets enabled once in a few minutes while BT connection may be waking up much more frequently. Overall comparison will hugely depend on how often you have your GPS activated. In 5DIV, the GPS update interval can be set to up to 5 minutes.

And no, I don't want to have a camera-on-phone dependency through a permanent BT connection. It's an additional weak link. I prefer to have an in-camera GPS with an option to disable it.

But at the same time, while GPS is highly desirable, it's not a deal-breaker to me.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
What is important here is watts-hour though, Wh. In-camera GPS only gets enabled once in a few minutes while BT connection may be waking up much more frequently. Overall comparison will hugely depend on how often you have your GPS activated. In 5DIV, the GPS update interval can be set to up to 5 minutes.

And no, I don't want to have a camera-on-phone dependency through a permanent BT connection. It's an additional weak link. I prefer to have an in-camera GPS with an option to disable it.

But at the same time, while GPS is highly desirable, it's not a deal-breaker to me.

If moving then after 5 minutes the location can be quite different. If GPS is not activated more frequently the value of having it in-camera is questionable.
Anyway, I rather have a camera-phone dependency for GPS than a drained camera battery when I want to take that shot ...

Upvote 0
If moving then after 5 minutes the location can be quite different. If GPS is not activated more frequently the value of having it in-camera is questionable.
Anyway, I rather have a camera-phone dependency for GPS than a drained camera battery when I want to take that shot ...
If you enable frequent GPS updates on phone, you drain phone battery quickly and get increased chances of getting both phone battery flat and GPS out. And you still get an increased power consumption in camera via BT.

Upvote 0