Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I agree, it has to come in at the $3,500. max USD price and better yet $3,399 USD. No real reason they cannot do this either.
As I've stated before, I find a price-point of $3,399 USD or even $3,500 USD to be not realistic. I think it will be more like $3,899 or $3,999 USD and 2 kit versions offered, one with the RF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS at $4,899 or $4,999 USD and one with the RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS at $5,399 USD and both kits to offer 1 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD UHS II card. And maybe, for $225 USD more, 1 128GB CF Express Card. (Postulating heavy here about the 2-slot formats...)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
As I've stated before, I find a price-point of $3,399 USD or even $3,500 USD to be not realistic. I think it will be more like $3,899 or $3,999 USD and 2 kit versions offered, one with the RF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS at $4,899 or $4,999 USD and one with the RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS at $5,399 USD and both kits to offer 1 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD UHS II card. And maybe, for $225 USD more, 1 128GB CF Express Card. (Postulating heavy here about the 2-slot formats...)

I am sure you have stated what you say you have.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I wonder what the AF differences will be between the R6 and R5. If it’s the same I can’t see a reason why I would get the R5 over the R6, but if it’s 5d4 vs 6d2 difference it’s a no brainer... choices, :p
It's all if's but's and maybe's at the moment lol. Canon will be rubbing their hands at all the speculation building up. ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

$4,449 body only easy, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it at $4,999 body

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019

$7000 Canadian body only and 8-8.5k in a kit, no way no how.

There is nothing in Canon's past or current road map that points to a 5D style Camera for 7K body only. It will be TOPS $3999.99USD or they will sell so few it will not be worth making.

I'm going to get it either way just think that Canon will not shoot themselves in the foot with stupid pricing. If it does have stupid pricing hopefully they will add it to CPS pricing unlike the 5D line.

Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky

FINALLY! I’ve found someone else who has some sense! Those are realistic, and sensible numbers based on what this body offers.

It’s not comparable to a 5D...this is for VIDEO shooters.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
FINALLY! I’ve found someone else who has some sense! Those are realistic, and sensible numbers based on what this body offers.

I disagree that it is for video shooters only. Due to the shrinking camera market I believe Canon wanted to create the ultimate jack of all trades camera that would grab a big share of both stills and video market.

Many previously stills only photographers are now required to be adept at video (eg weddings, events) and so need an effective one camera solution for both. These people are in the market for something smaller, quieter and more cost effective than a 1dx3. So I do expect it to be in the $3,700 range.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
I disagree that it is for video shooters only. Due to the shrinking camera market I believe Canon wanted to create the ultimate jack of all trades camera that would grab a big share of both stills and video market.

Many previously stills only photographers are now required to be adept at video (eg weddings, events) and so need an effective one camera solution for both. These people are in the market for something smaller, quieter and more cost effective than a 1dx3. So I do expect it to be in the $3,700 range.

It’s not for video shooters ONLY, it’s for video shooters PRIMARILY. This is aimed at the high end video market...it’s doing things that the 1DX3 and Cinema cameras can’t and will be priced accordingly.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
It’s not for video shooters ONLY, it’s for video shooters PRIMARILY. This is aimed at the high end video market...it’s doing things that the 1DX3 and Cinema cameras can’t and will be priced accordingly.
Based on Canon Australia's press release, it is a continuation of the 5 series which since the Mark 2 was a true hybrid video and stills camera. I expect it to work well at both and be priced to compete as an event camera (5D territory). If someone is primarily interested in video, that is what the c series is for.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
This looks awesome! glad to see Canon fighting this way. Defenitely the R5 will be a camera highly focused on videographers (the ones who still with canon, deserves it!) I hope the R6 or any other body lacks more of video features and get focus on still photography

40+ MÜ, IBIS, EF-R lenses? Where is the focus on still images lacking behind? Or do you mean you pay too much for video when you don‘t need that?

Stay safe and healthy you all!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

All right ... 5 series mirrorless body that is not comparable to a 5 series DSLR body, is for video shooters... Like a C (cinema) product rage? But is R family and 5 series instead. :D

• Haha
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
40+ MÜ, IBIS, EF-R lenses? Where is the focus on still images lacking behind? Or do you mean you pay too much for video when you don‘t need that?

Stay safe and healthy you all!

Of course, is also a great camera for stills, is a monster camera that may work for everything (photographers and videographers) but may be isn't the best choice for who doesn't need any video features. I don't mean that is a bad camera, just that want similar still photography features without having to pay 4000€ for a body. Is just that may be isn't the body that I need, but merely because will be a waste of specs in my hands, in video field :)

Upvote 0