Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

May 11, 2017
Of course, is also a great camera for stills, is a monster camera that may work for everything (photographers and videographers) but may be isn't the best choice for who doesn't need any video features. I don't mean that is a bad camera, just that want similar still photography features without having to pay 4000€ for a body. Is just that may be isn't the body that I need, but merely because will be a waste of specs in my hands, in video field :)
A camera that is ruggedly built and suitable for action/wildlife photography is going to be pretty pricey whether or not it has great video specs. If you don't need rugged and you don't care about action/wildlife photography, I think the Canon R is a pretty good deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
A camera that is ruggedly built and suitable for action/wildlife photography is going to be pretty pricey whether or not it has great video specs. If you don't need rugged and you don't care about action/wildlife photography, I think the Canon R is a pretty good deal.

Well, im focused mainly in wedding photography. Of course, it has action, but 8 fps is enough for what i need. In the other hand, I need a double card slot, good dynamic range (R is enough in this case) but improve even more the AF, would be great. Let's see more news about the R6. I still seeing it some confusing body with those specs. Meanwhile, with the R im confortable working :)

Upvote 0
I disagree that it is for video shooters only. Due to the shrinking camera market I believe Canon wanted to create the ultimate jack of all trades camera that would grab a big share of both stills and video market.

Many previously stills only photographers are now required to be adept at video (eg weddings, events) and so need an effective one camera solution for both. These people are in the market for something smaller, quieter and more cost effective than a 1dx3. So I do expect it to be in the $3,700 range.

So you think Canon is going to make a smaller, quieter, mirrorless 1DX III with twice as many megapixels and all the high end features the R5 has and they are going to charge HALF what the 1DX III costs? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
So you think Canon is going to make a smaller, quieter, mirrorless 1DX III with twice as many megapixels and all the high end features the R5 has and they are going to charge HALF what the 1DX III costs? :ROFLMAO:
Yes. If the R5 comes in at $6,500 in these tough economic times, it is dead on arrival. Remember that part of the reason Canon can charge so much for the 1dx3 is that the big companies like sports illustrated who are buying many bodies are less price sensitive than your average wedding photographer, and Canon knows it. Plus it is less expensive to build a mirrorless camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Yes. If the R5 comes in at $6,500 in these tough economic times, it is dead on arrival. Remember that part of the reason Canon can charge so much for the 1dx3 is that the big companies like sports illustrated who are buying many bodies are less price sensitive than your average wedding photographer, and Canon knows it. Plus it is less expensive to build a mirrorless camera.

Right, that’s why it will be $4,449-$4,999. Just as Canon charges a hefty premium for features no one else has in their RF lenses, they will charge a hefty premium for features no one else has in their cameras. The R5 is vastly superior to the 5DIV and anyone expecting 5DIV pricing is dreaming.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Right, that’s why it will be $4,449-$4,999. Just as Canon charges a hefty premium for features no one else has in their RF lenses, they will charge a hefty premium for features no one else has in their cameras. The R5 is vastly superior to the 5DIV and anyone expecting 5DIV pricing is dreaming.
Nope not going to happen, again that is $6500 CDN to $7000 CDN. Nothing in current or past road maps show this kind of pricing. Oh and RF glass is pretty much on par with EF new introduction pricing. Anyone expecting to pay 7K Canadian for 5D body is dreaming.

Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Time will tell. Can't charge Leica type prices or no one will buy in these uncertain times. 5D2 was also revolutionary for it's time but was comparatively affordable.

Canon needs to sell their high margin RF glass so need the R5 to be super successful in the market unlike the R. I fully expect that R5 purchasers will want several RF lenses for their kit so Canon will have to be realistic in pricing it.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Plenty of events including fashion shows that I shoot can be well over 4hrs. That's not to say it is 4hrs of continuous filming, but filming getting ready, BTS, model interviews, producer interviews, b roll, audience, sponsors, etc. can quickly add up to hours of footage. The context was that MJPEG is a horrible codec for more than anything but a few seconds of video if that. I wouldn't even shoot b roll with MJPEG.

Lets just say to get 4 hrs of footage from one show 45mins max then a few interviews and backstage stuff which in all reality is 20 mins at most you are not having 4 hrs of footage from that. Get real.
I filmed more than a few Weddings on my camera and to say MJPEG is not worth even a few seconds is pure bs.
Fair enough you have yr opinion, but it reeks of a know it all mentality.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
To see the price you must have an account then connect from a smartphone then add to my list and to finish add to cart
Cool 12k Canadian for a Hybrid Camera... Seems likely

There was a picture from another site showing 9999 Euro so the good news is the price is coming down already:)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I really hope the R5 is a little bit bigger than the R in the grip. Just handled the R for the first time today and found it a little small in the hand. For any R owners out there, how do you find shooting with the camera all day?
I find it great, a little weird balance with heavier lenses, and also would prefer a more 5-series size grip, but I also want as little weight as possible.

Upvote 0
I really hope the R5 is a little bit bigger than the R in the grip. Just handled the R for the first time today and found it a little small in the hand. For any R owners out there, how do you find shooting with the camera all day?

I found the size difference pretty invisible in terms of ergonomics, I enjoyed the difference for carrying around though. I have smallish hands but never found the 5D series uncomfortable either, the thumb stretch for moving the autofocus using the touch screen is a bit of a stretch for the far corners, wish you could callibrate like the old eye control focus. My only gripe for a days use is battery life lol If this R5 is dramatically improved in this regard I might be tempted, but a noticeable weight and size increase would defeat the object of why I migrated to mirrorless (L lenses not withstanding).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
...the thumb stretch for moving the autofocus using the touch screen is a bit of a stretch for the far corners, wish you could callibrate like the old eye control focus.
You can program it to use one half of the screen or the other. You don't have to use the full screen. ;)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
This was not my experience. On my 2014 iMac, I can't play back 4K MJPEG smoothly. However, transcoded to ProRes or H265 was no problem. Really need to replace this iMac, though. 2020 is an expensive year.
My 2014 iMac is a 5K model with an i7 and 32 MB of RAM and 1 GB SSD, so it is toward the top end for that day. It has never had any trouble playing anything I have thrown at it, and editing 4K in FCP X goes very smoothly and does playback while processing is going on in the background. FCP X does eat up temporarily most of the space on the SSD with caches and work files. Our computers are, as they say, long in the tooth. But if you want to put off upgrading, you might try adding memory if you have less than the maximum, and putting in an SSD if you don't have one or a hybrid drive. If you think you might end up buying a new computer anyway, you might understandably skip those steps. In December my car needed new tires, but was in otherwise good shape and had only 48,000 miles. I was afraid that I might buy a car this spring even after getting the tires, so I looked around a bit. When I found a car I liked, I bought it instead of the tires. You need to take psychological factors into account, in addition to technical and financial.

Upvote 0
I found the size difference pretty invisible in terms of ergonomics, I enjoyed the difference for carrying around though. I have smallish hands but never found the 5D series uncomfortable either, the thumb stretch for moving the autofocus using the touch screen is a bit of a stretch for the far corners, wish you could callibrate like the old eye control focus. My only gripe for a days use is battery life lol If this R5 is dramatically improved in this regard I might be tempted, but a noticeable weight and size increase would defeat the object of why I migrated to mirrorless (L lenses not withstanding).

Thanks for the response. I ended up going for an EOS R with RF 50mm 1.2 and RF 85mm 1.2 to replace my 5D IV. I'm still trying ro get used to the smaller size as I have quite large hands. But yes, I think given the size and weight of the L lenses any size and weight saving on the body almost seems a little pointless? An extra 200 grams or so really wouldn't bother me at all... maybe I'll just have to fork out for the battery grip!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My 2014 iMac is a 5K model with an i7 and 32 MB of RAM and 1 GB SSD, so it is toward the top end for that day. It has never had any trouble playing anything I have thrown at it, and editing 4K in FCP X goes very smoothly and does playback while processing is going on in the background. FCP X does eat up temporarily most of the space on the SSD with caches and work files. Our computers are, as they say, long in the tooth. But if you want to put off upgrading, you might try adding memory if you have less than the maximum, and putting in an SSD if you don't have one or a hybrid drive. If you think you might end up buying a new computer anyway, you might understandably skip those steps. In December my car needed new tires, but was in otherwise good shape and had only 48,000 miles. I was afraid that I might buy a car this spring even after getting the tires, so I looked around a bit. When I found a car I liked, I bought it instead of the tires. You need to take psychological factors into account, in addition to technical and financial.

"When I found a car I liked, I bought it instead of the tires."

Obviously not a youngster starting out in the workforce.:)

Jack

Upvote 0