IBIS coming to EOS M in 2020 [CR1]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If there are enough people who feel this way then Canon will produce a camera suitable for you. Maybe a more chunky EOS M.

But I suspect the economics favour the smaller camera because most people prefer compact.
Well, I didn't mean the EOS M was not acceptable, what I actually meant was the I hated cameras getting smaller and smaller.
Hands don't !
But the M cameras are Canons, therefore ergonomically well designed, I DO like them!
But NOT the Olympusses, shudder....and the menus (?). Even though I know Olympusses are really fine cameras and lenses, just too small for me.

Upvote 0
Nothing like a good rumour. One possibility for this new EOS Mx. that I cannot see anybody has speculated on is that instead of having an adaptor for EF lenses what if it was to have an adaptor for the R lenses. This would meet several objectives. Maintain the smaller size. Allow Canon to concentrate on R series lenses while having a smaller portfolio of EF-M The key to the M range is camera size. This competes with the MFT suppliers but provide APSC sensor which should be better. The concept has to be a winner. I am in the market to downsize but I do want good quality images and kit that allows me to do nature, aircraft, landscape and hopefulky macro. The Mx could be just what I am waiting for. We shall see.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Than you and Danglin are in for the upcoming R6. I do not understand the wish for EOS M in the size of the RP. EOS M is meant to be small and light and not for use with heavy telephoto zoom lenses like 100-400. Where is the logic in buying small and light and making it big and heavy again with such lenses plus a battery grip?
I don't see where the R6 will work as a replacement to a 7Dii. For wildlife/sports I really want an APS-C for the extra reach on a smaller/lighter 100-400 lens. (Can't afford and don't want to carry a 600 f4). The R6 is not rumored to have enough pixels for a crop mode. The R5 will be able to have about 18 MP in crop mode and that would be fine, but it will be an expensive camera for someone looking to replace/upgrade a 7Dii.

I am ready to switch to mirrorless, but there is not a good option right now. On the DSLR side, the 90D did not get the same autofocus that the 7Dii has. The R doesn't have the frame rate needed for sports/ wildlife, and the M6 doesn't have a built in viewfinder or ruggedness.

I don't necessarily "want" a bigger M series, I would just like an APS-C that meets the needs of sports/wildlife. That can be an APS-C R series for <$2000 or it could be an upgraded M series if Canon chooses to keep all APS in M series and full frame in R series. My guess is Canon plans to keep them separate for some reason. If that is the case, than the new high end M series would make since for the next APS-C sports/wildlife camera. I indicated I would like it "with a battery grip" specifically so the camera can still be a small for factor similar to other M series, but will provide better ergonomics for users that plan to put larger EF lenses on it.

Just my thoughts...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Do I smell an M1 coming? Once the R5 and R6 come out, that may leave more room for a high-end M camera. But, as it sits right now, the M6 Mark II is a significantly more capable camera than either the EOS RP or R. Had the M6 Mark II come with a built-in EVF it would have really trounced on the EOS R.
M1 sounds like the right nomenclature, but of course, it will need to have a trigger to replace the shutter button :).

• Sad
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

I don't see where the R6 will work as a replacement to a 7Dii. For wildlife/sports I really want an APS-C for the extra reach on a smaller/lighter 100-400 lens. (Can't afford and don't want to carry a 600 f4). The R6 is not rumored to have enough pixels for a crop mode. The R5 will be able to have about 18 MP in crop mode and that would be fine, but it will be an expensive camera for someone looking to replace/upgrade a 7Dii.

I am ready to switch to mirrorless, but there is not a good option right now. On the DSLR side, the 90D did not get the same autofocus that the 7Dii has. The R doesn't have the frame rate needed for sports/ wildlife, and the M6 doesn't have a built in viewfinder or ruggedness.

I don't necessarily "want" a bigger M series, I would just like an APS-C that meets the needs of sports/wildlife. That can be an APS-C R series for <$2000 or it could be an upgraded M series if Canon chooses to keep all APS in M series and full frame in R series. My guess is Canon plans to keep them separate for some reason. If that is the case, than the new high end M series would make since for the next APS-C sports/wildlife camera. I indicated I would like it "with a battery grip" specifically so the camera can still be a small for factor similar to other M series, but will provide better ergonomics for users that plan to put larger EF lenses on it.

Just my thoughts...
Ah now I see where are you coming from. I overlooked your wish for a 7D successor. I guess this will be a tough one with Canon. The R5 which would look like a useful match in crop mode is too expensive, and the M series too small and not weather sealed enough. So something in between is missing and probably will be missing in future.
For me: I don't want a M series with built in EVF that is bigger than the M5, it should come in the same size as the M5 and with similar/better features as the M6II. Maybe the M50II will give me enough to upgrade from my M5 later (I surely wouldn't preorder or buy in early state). In this case I wouldn't mind if there will also b a M7 Camera (bigger, better weather sealing, 2 card slots) which could fill the now existing gap for the typical 7D User.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Ah now I see where are you coming from. I overlooked your wish for a 7D successor. I guess this will be a tough one with Canon. The R5 which would look like a useful match in crop mode is too expensive, and the M series too small and not weather sealed enough. So something in between is missing and probably will be missing in future.
For me: I don't want a M series with built in EVF that is bigger than the M5, it should come in the same size as the M5 and with similar/better features as the M6II. Maybe the M50II will give me enough to upgrade from my M5 later (I surely wouldn't preorder or buy in early state). In this case I wouldn't mind if there will also b a M7 Camera (bigger, better weather sealing, 2 card slots) which could fill the now existing gap for the typical 7D User.
I haven't used the M5, but just adding a battery grip to that sized body could work and meet more than one user's requirements...

Upvote 0
Canon both offer both the M6II, being small and light, and an M7, having a decent grip, while reusing a lot of components. I'd love to have a camera with the 'reach' of 32MP APS-C and 14fps, but a chunkier grip. With a smaller mount in a bigger body there's more space for things like a bigger EVF, more and bigger card slots, etc.

The M6II is great for macro, it balances relatively well with an MP-E 65mm or a EF-S 60mm + twin light, but it becomes really front heavy with the 100mm L. The RP is a lot better, but it's missing the FPS and raw burst features I'm using on the M6II to catch solitary bees taking off for flight.

The R5 rumoured specs are close to perfect, it has 'reach' as well as IBIS. If it lacks RAW burst the 8k video would be a nice stand-in to catch bees in flight. But I believe an M7 would be half the price of an R5, which would leave room in the budget to get some extra lenses, like the Laowa probe lens.

Anyway, both the R7 and new Ms will be available after bee and dragon fly season over here, so lots of time to start saving for spring 2021 purchases :)
just to ask,did you use the mp-e 65 with m6-ii.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I haven't used the M5, but just adding a battery grip to that sized body could work and meet more than one user's requirements...
It still has very cramped controls, it is not a large handed persons camera.You can make it work but I would suggest turning off the multi function pad for the most part, it's seriously in the way. You also have top map the touchscreen to only have 1/3 active. I tried to love this camera but it had too many limitations. IQ, with certain lenses, no complaints, usability, lots. A grip would have changed little imho

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

I seem to remember a patent for an EF-M 100-400, but my memory isn’t what it used to be. Beyond 400, maybe EF and an adapter would be the answer.

Upvote 0
going back to IBIS on an M camera...what if this is gonna be a video-centric camera? like Fuji's X-H1? same specs as the M6 II, bigger body (no EVF) for ergonomics? would that have a place in the M lineup?

yikes, absolute worst case scenario!

In reality, (serious) hybrid and video users are a fairly small minority [probably less than 1/3 of market], no matter how loud the clamor for ever more video features in every single new camera.

I'd be interested in some great "pure stills" camera models. No video recording at all. Only internal feed for EVF. No mics, no speakers, no headphone jack, no audio amps, no extra sensor cooling, no 4k, no 8k, no video clutter in menus, no video codecs with license costs, no audio codecs.

Instead: lower price and/or better wheathersealing, dual SD UHS-II slots and 100% "stills-optimized".

Upvote 0