Canon EOS R6 announcement moved to July [CR2]

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
A new level of patience needs to be applied here. I'll take these new dates and add a few months and I'm going to stop reading every little thing, it's got to be unhealthy. Bigger issues at play right now.
I recommend to just do it like me: go out shooting, if you don't get too close to people, or just tidy your image archives. There is always plenty to do in photography, that's at least my experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Grip delivered as a firmware update? :p
That's so typical rumors: there isn't yet any real image of the R6 body to be seen, and people already come up with grips. What, if the R6 will have no batteries but a pump grip like those classic mechanically powered flashlights? Just to save the planet and support those traveling to really remote places? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I really feel for the photographers (everyone really) who are not making their living right now. I am seeing a lot of gear, some very recently acquired, being sold on Facebook marketplace.
I am with you, I know some pro's whose business has been shrinked to zero now, and I am really happy to be an amateur. In fact, I always was. If I would have to make a living from photography/videography, all the happy playfulness would be lost for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Low light performance does not have to be inherently dependent on MP, rather it's dependent on total sensor size and quantum efficiency & well depth. You can fudge with pixel size & pixel lensing elements & pixel well depth and adjust ISO all you want, but it comes down to how much light in total hits the area of your sensor.
That's true, but pixel wise it is a trade-off. If the number of photons that hit the sensor per image is low, it makes more sense to split them over 20 MP only than 45 or 60 MP. Also be careful with quantum efficiency, because in particular with (quantum) noise there is a lot of non-linearity coming into the game (gain, read-out circuits etc.). We are quickly ending up comparing apples with peaches here with such a general discussion. That said, if you design a camera particularly for low-light performance, it doesn't make much sense to go for a high pixel count. The image from a high MP camera may not contain more useful image information than from a low MP camera, at high ISOs (we forget here about the fact, that information theory does regard noise as information ;)).

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
So if you see the Sony Fanboys bitching, remind them... uhh it's NOT Canon.... It's the Card makers that can't keep up with Canon.
I LOVE to see Sony fanboys bitching, that's the main reason why I sometimes visit DPR - if I want some fun :devilish:

A typical Sony fanboy works like a Pavlov dog, if he (100 % male) reads "Canon" elsewhere. Btw it has been proved that an electronic "dog" does need a tiny neural network of only 3 artificial neurons to be trained the Pavlov way. ;)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Well, I still am guessing the R5 will come out at $2,999 - $3,499 (I know most disagree, but I'm sticking to it). I'd be willing to buy it for sure, and I'll spend probably 2 times more for additional lenses. And I think there will be plenty of others to do so. For Canon to not sell it soon, when they can, is just to let more sales slip to their competition, and admit defeat. And I just don't see them doing that.
Here's the CR R5 betting office: how much do you want to invest in your bet? 100 US-$ okay? ;)

Upvote 0
I LOVE to see Sony fanboys bitching, that's the main reason why I sometimes visit DPR - if I want some fun :devilish:

A typical Sony fanboy works like a Pavlov dog, if he (100 % male) reads "Canon" elsewhere. Btw it has been proved that an electronic "dog" does need a tiny neural network of only 3 artificial neurons to be trained the Pavlov way. ;)
At least you don't have to deal with Sony fanboys in real life.
I had two second shooters in a wedding talking all day long about their sony cameras and how i'll see the superior iso performance and autofocus.
Watching the video at home i was wondering if they sent me the wrong folder with smartphone videos

(I know it's user error and sony camera are perfectly capable and even better sometimes, but it was so much fun watching all those videos after all the bragging about sony)

Upvote 0
Some companies have successfully used a tactic in times of poor sales, that they should get sales up by releasing exciting products, rather than shrinking into their shell.
This may be Canon's thinking.
I can't remember Canon ever touting a new camera so much well before its release date.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Will be interesting to watch how Leica as a luxury brand now fares financially...

They'll likely be fine, for two reasons.

1) Germans support their industry, which they see as a factor in social stability.

2) Most people who buy Leicas will get through this period in much better shape. They are more likely to be working higher paid information-based jobs where telecommuting is an option, so they'll keep getting paid. Normal people within a few lost paychecks of not being able to pay their rent were never thinking Leica. They go to a BestBuy or Costco and get a M50 or an RP with kit lens. Or if they really save up, they order an R from B&H.

Upvote 0
The grip gets warmer due to batteries inside the grip drawing more current in the video mode or continuous shooting. There is no electronics inside the grip... and there is no any other processor / logic there. Bottleneck for an off-chip processing is the bus (speed) and ability to multi-Processor and multitask.
in a few words. Highly unlikely at this time.
Never observed batteries getting substantially warmer during video - not M50, not RP.
200D has shurely now CPU or other processing logics in the grip but voltage converter might make sense ...
Maybe I have to xray that camera after end of life - do not like dead pixels by xrays.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I really don't see what any glass has to do with the equation/my post. You're making it into a price thing. I'm talking about image quality potential and to some extent, ergonomics.
If you only want to talk about the body, that's fine. But if someone has enough money to buy a R5 then I see no reason for them to seriously consider a R6. After sticking a lens on each body there will probably be little difference in weight to worry about. And I anticipate no benefit in image quality in the R6 over the R5. And I doubt that there will be any other advantage in the R6 over the R5, while the R5 will have significant advantages over the R6.

The main reason someone would opt for the R6 over the R5 is cost. They can afford one, but not the other. Therefore it is imperative to consider which lens they will use, as it is the total cost of their purchase that they have to justify before buying any of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If you only want to talk about the body, that's fine. But if someone has enough money to buy a R5 then I see no reason for them to seriously consider a R6. After sticking a lens on each body there will probably be little difference in weight to worry about. And I anticipate no benefit in image quality in the R6 over the R5. And I doubt that there will be any other advantage in the R6 over the R5, while the R5 will have significant advantages over the R6.

The reason someone would opt for the R6 over the R5 is cost. They can afford one, but not the other. Therefore it is imperative to consider which lens they will use, as it is the total cost of their purchase that they have to justify before buying any of it.
Not true,, I can afford either, I will buy according to my imaging needs. I will source the best tool for my shooting manners not just get the shiniest toy in the store.

I think people should pause each time they start a post with "No one..", "Everyone..." and the like.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
In your R6 description, what is a “top-down screen”? Several Canon cameras have fully articulated LCD screens, very useful for vloggers and also for still photographers taking both horizontal and vertical photos from low and high angles.Is this what’s meant?
It's the small LCD on the top panel of the body as seen in the attachment here on the R which shows the current setting i.e. P, C1-3, M, Av, Tv whatnot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 8.55.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 8.55.47 AM.png
    573.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 8.58.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 8.58.32 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If a "low light performance" refers to "a photon deficit" case, why is a well depth a factor?
While I am not an expert (and am sometimes wrong), this is how I understand this issue:

The rate of total sensor photons (converted to electrons) captured per unit time affects how sensitive your camera is, but at a certain point you can't hold any more electrons for the brightest areas and thus must (typically) stop your exposure to avoid serious highlight burnout. If there is subject motion in low lighting then you will probably have to stop exposure before the highlight well depth is reached and therefore bigger well depth won't matter.

But in low light if there is good IS(image stabilization) to limit hand shake, and a non-moving main subject, then you are able to take a much longer exposure of the subject. If this exposure is longer than the time for the highlight wells to fill then you will be (typically) have to end(earlier) your exposure time. If you had a bigger well depth then you could have extended your exposure time to get a better quality image.

So, many things can determine whether the well depth makes any difference or not. As the light gets dimmer and dimmer then you can indeed say that well depth should not matter. I included mentioning it since in most cases (except very low light) it will have a major effect on image quality.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Here's the CR R5 betting office: how much do you want to invest in your bet? 100 US-$ okay? ;)
But look at how many more people think the R5 will come out *above* $3,500 - many mentioning prices up to (and sometimes beyond) $6,000. Now a seasoned betting man would recognize this and decide to give "odds" as appropriate. So if you feel strongly that it will be $3,500 or more (as I assume you do) then what odds would you be willing to give in order to make the bet? :unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Not true,, I can afford either, I will buy according to my imaging needs. I will source the best tool for my shooting manners not just get the shiniest toy in the store.

I think people should pause each time they start a post with "No one..", "Everyone..." and the like.
Fair enough. If you read my response you will notice I never mentioned "No one..." or "Everyone...". However in 2 places I could have inserted words such as "in my opinion..." etc. So I have gone back and done that. I do pause before submitting my posts - re-reading them many times. I also edit them afterwards if I think I should have worded them differently. And yes, I will strive to be even more careful in the future. Probably some on this site could try to be more careful, ... you might want to consider it, too.;)

If you can afford a R5 and instead choose to get a R6, then I'm glad you're happy with that choice. If you can post your reasons for that decision, then please do so for me and others to consider so that we can all make better choices. We're all better off with Canon offering both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0