Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I foresee a future where the price is 4001 and CR needs to go into hiding.

Now THAT will never happen.

You're supposed to be suckered into rounding down, and thinking it's lots cheaper than it is, at a gut level. Which is why gasoline (petrol) in the United States invariably has a price that ends in nine tenths of a cent per (US) gallon. (Try pumping yourself exactly one gallon of gas and getting the change, we have nothing smaller than the cent in circulation today, and that has been true since 1857.) I'm still waiting for someone to just say "screw it" and sell it for $2:39 instead of $2.389, but people really want to stay just under round numbers.

One kwatloo wouldn't be much of a round down.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's so breathtakingly impressive, given an EOS 5D IV has "only" 30 MP. The option to extract such highly resolved stills from video will blast also fast frame stills shooting into a new era. Mouthwatering in particular for wildlife, I have to say.

Yes but take in account that they will be jpeg files not raw, sou without many hability to edit. Other thing, I have that option in 1dxmkII but honestly almost never used it because when we film we use lower shutterspeeds, about 1/50 or 1/100 so you end up with a blurry still image. It has some beneficts is some cases, but i find it somehow unpractical...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
So, two things.
Firstly, This appears to be good news, although there seems to be comments that the US price is before tax which I couldn't see in the release? Despite that, it's good that it is under $4,000 but by how much lol. Another teaser lol.
The announcement date seems to have changed to July. Annoying but it is what it is and I'm sure that Canon have good reasons for this. I assume deliveries could start in august or September if they have the stock?

It's not mentioned in the release, because no quoted price ever includes the sales tax in the US--unless explicitly stated so, and that's exceedingly rare. (Tariffs, excises, etc. levied by the Federal government ARE included.) Sales tax differs by state, and in some states even by locality (Colorado is a nightmare with hundreds of different sales tax rates). Thus it would be very difficult for a company to come up with "a" list price, if anyone were to try to change the custom and have it include sales tax. So, they're not going to explain what everyone in that market already knows.

[There is one possible exception to what I wrote; state gasoline taxes are included in the shown pump price, at least here in Colorado, but that's not labeled as a "sales tax."]

[Also there are proposals to replace our income tax with a federal sales tax, which would be included in the price--but that makes some degree of sense because it would be uniform. I personally would prefer it be added at the register, so people can be reminded of it every time they buy something.]

Private By Design is right that it's wrong to simply compare the US and UK prices, then blame the UK price on "ripoff", but probably should have limited himself to simply observing that the UK includes a lot of taxes in its prices that the US does not.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
And at least with the Tipped Wage situation, if you're good at it, you can make VERY good money as a tipped employee. If you can't do that, well...there's always burger flipping for W2 full min. wage...or other careers, you know?

Again, even here...the individual has the responsibility to work where they can make the most $$.

It worked for you so it must be fine? There are lots of reasons people tip more or less, some of which are linked to ingrained prejudice. Tl;dr it's not a level playing field.

As for your second point, wow. Clearly people being paid too little just aren't trying hard enough, right? :rolleyes:

(This is all way off topic, but so is the whole thread).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
haha i probably did miss that. just joined the photography world last year. :D

That is fine, they have been more quiet since the introduction of the RF mount as they saw the handwriting on the wall. Then the R5 was announced and the real panic set in with more silence.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Amazon re-invested its net revenue back into growth, so that it didn't show a profit on paper. That's very different to spending more than a company earns.

As for this R5, I've lost interest at this point. If they ever do a cheaper R5.5 with the resolution of the R5 but without the crazy video bias then I'd buy.

*sigh* again with this nonsense.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
It's not mentioned in the release, because no quoted price ever includes the sales tax in the US--unless explicitly stated so, and that's exceedingly rare. (Tariffs, excises, etc. levied by the Federal government ARE included.) Sales tax differs by state, and in some states even by locality (Colorado is a nightmare with hundreds of different sales tax rates). Thus it would be very difficult for a company to come up with "a" list price, if anyone were to try to change the custom and have it include sales tax. So, they're not going to explain what everyone in that market already knows.

[There is one possible exception to what I wrote; state gasoline taxes are included in the shown pump price, at least here in Colorado, but that's not labeled as a "sales tax."]

[Also there are proposals to replace our income tax with a federal sales tax, which would be included in the price--but that makes some degree of sense because it would be uniform. I personally would prefer it be added at the register, so people can be reminded of it every time they buy something.]

Private By Design is right that it's wrong to simply compare the US and UK prices, then blame the UK price on "ripoff", but probably should have limited himself to simply observing that the UK includes a lot of taxes in its prices that the US does not.
Learn something new everyday :) . I didn't know about the tax being quoted so thanks for that.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Why do people insist on saying this every time a price for anything is mentioned? UK prices are listed inclusive of tax USA prices are not. In the UK the health service is included in your tax bill, in the USA it is not, personally I'd pay a few hundred dollars more each time I bought a camera and got health insurance included, in the USA you 'save' a few hundred dollars on the cost of your camera and spend $500 every single month on health insurance because "Freedom".

Attachments

• Likes.jpg
    Likes.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
You're talking about consumers and amateurs. Get real. "Any camera can be a sports shooter". Yeah if shooting family or friends and for recreational purposes. I have been shooting professionally for over two decades. ALL cameras are niche devices. Period. The majority of camera operators and photogs along side of me that shoot with a 1dx do not solely shoot one and only one genre. The only readson it is used is because of FPS and AF. To get THE shot. Those that already have name and recognition have the ability to get THE shot regardless if using the 5D or the 1Dx. If you know the sport and the coreographed movements you can get the shot with either device. I know. because I own both.
Yes and a big NO. I owned both. Things were never predictable for me when shooting action. Things never went as planned in wildlife etc. So higher fps helps a lot. Also better focus. As you mention above.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Learn something new everyday :) . I didn't know about the tax being quoted so thanks for that.

Cheers

When you're an American travelling in Europe, and no doubt vice-versa, the little things are surprising. I see round prices in Europe (e.g., 7 euros, not $6.99), and they're what you actually pay. There's no added "ding" at the register as you get charged 8.2% sales tax (or whatever it is--Colorado's sales tax rate has relentlessly crept upwards and our roads still suck) to make the purchase total $7.56. (Things like groceries are often sales tax exempt.)

The last time I was in Europe I found it hard to get hold of really small change, because prices posted AND paid were pretty "round." Then once having obtained small change, I couldn't get rid of it! I guess a grocery paying by the kilo would have worked. Otherwise, no.

I remember checking out at some place in the US and the total coming out to EXACTLY $100.00. I told the cashier to get their register checked for a malfunction.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Well I was joking and I don't think Canon will do subscription for in-camera features, but technically it's totally possible. In fact, jokes aside, depending on the price, it could be a good option. If you know the camera will last say 4-5 years, you can calculate the total cost of running the camera including subscription.

In a way that already exists...you can lease camera equipment and turn it in at the end. This obviously only applies to higher end equipment but it is an option. Also, I only buy equipment that I feel I will use on a large amount of jobs or equipment that is not tied to the camera system (i.e audio equipment, lighting, etc) and when a client needs for example 3 camera angles I just rent the equipment for that project.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Funny...I've never had to do that to date.....they just send to my state, free shipping (over a certain amount)...and don't charge sales tax.

I live in Georgia and about a year ago they started chargintax on all purchases. If you sign-up for this card, they will give you a credit back for the value of the sales tax.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
So, two things.
Firstly, This appears to be good news, although there seems to be comments that the US price is before tax which I couldn't see in the release? Despite that, it's good that it is under $4,000 but by how much lol. Another teaser lol.
The announcement date seems to have changed to July. Annoying but it is what it is and I'm sure that Canon have good reasons for this. I assume deliveries could start in august or September if they have the stock?

Secondly, I'm quite relaxed and broadminded but there seems to be an increasing number of comments that include politics, sometimes directly, other times masquerading as justification about a particular issue like pricing or healthcare. Come on guys, this is a forum about cameras not about politics. One is fun and engaging (cameras), the other (politics) whilst a massive and important topic is divisive in the extreme but not something we should include here, maybe try twitter or another social media platform if you feel the need to voice your political thoughts?

Cheers
;)
Since taxes vary widely across the US, prices are always quoted without tax. For instance, I live in Indiana, about 45minutes drive from Chicago, which is in Illinois. My sales tax is 7%. If I went to buy it in Chicago, it would be 11%. If I went outside of Chicago to another part of Illinois it would be between 7.5 and 9%, depending on exactly where.

Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
And don’t forget about things like the PayBoo card with B&H where you receive an instant credit/reward on the CC account equal to the sales tax amount, so sales tax is paid to your state* for your purchase, but when you pay your CC bill, it is only equal to the pre-tax amount.

*Not every state has sales tax and the program is not available for ever state.

I may need to keep that as a plan B if they ever start charging sales tax in my state. Right now my state is even doing a sales tax holiday due to COVID...makes you wonder if online retailers that do charge sales tax have a way to accommodate gaps like that.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
When you're an American travelling in Europe, and no doubt vice-versa, the little things are surprising. I see round prices in Europe (e.g., 7 euros, not $6.99), and they're what you actually pay. There's no added "ding" at the register as you get charged 8.2% sales tax (or whatever it is--Colorado's sales tax rate has relentlessly crept upwards and our roads still suck) to make the purchase total $7.56. (Things like groceries are often sales tax exempt.)

The last time I was in Europe I found it hard to get hold of really small change, because prices posted AND paid were pretty "round." Then once having obtained small change, I couldn't get rid of it! I guess a grocery paying by the kilo would have worked. Otherwise, no.

I remember checking out at some place in the US and the total coming out to EXACTLY $100.00. I told the cashier to get their register checked for a malfunction.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the UK and Europe lol.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Since taxes vary widely across the US, prices are always quoted without tax. For instance, I live in Indiana, about 45minutes drive from Chicago, which is in Illinois. My sales tax is 7%. If I went to buy it in Chicago, it would be 11%. If I went outside of Chicago to another part of Illinois it would be between 7.5 and 9%, depending on exactly where.

Brian
Thats the price of local independence I suppose lol. Sucks if you live in Chicago though, just from a tax perspective I mean. I'm sure Chicago is a great place to live as is Indiana and Illinois. I'll stop digging now lol. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0