Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Honestly at this rate I don’t care about the price anymore. $3K, 4K, 6K, 8K, 10k. Whatever, just release the damn camera so I get my grubby hands on it.
Looking at your kit, I have a similar set up, EOS R, 24-105MM f4 & 70-200MM F2.8 &I've been thinking about swapping the 24-105 for the 28-70mm for the extra aperture. Do you find you have to swap lenses often as there is no overlap?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No taxes in Oregon from either BH or Amazon. (Wonder why tax and Amazon are in red!)
Oregon is one of the few states with 0% sales tax. That's the reason. We used to drive over the river from Fruitland, Idaho into Ontario, Oregon for all our shopping to avoid the tax in Idaho.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...(Wonder why tax and Amazon are in red!)
It’s some new revenue generator for Canon Rumors Guy. Automatically adds links to our posts and he gets a cut if we buy something I guess. The algorithm sucks though as most times it sends you to something you have no interest in and it’s just an annoyance.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Just like people have been surprised that the R5 will record DCI 8k30 internally, right.
Yep, right! ;) Always great surprises! That´s what makes this camera so"wanted" and get people so hyped. According to the video we will have 35MP raw images from grab frames! I don´t know How Canon can do it, but if it is like that, is awesome and yes, I am really surprised by that! Just great!

Upvote 0
Looking at your kit, I have a similar set up, EOS R, 24-105MM f4 & 70-200MM F2.8 &I've been thinking about swapping the 24-105 for the 28-70mm for the extra aperture. Do you find you have to swap lenses often as there is no overlap?

The 28-70 and 24-105 don't really address the same use cases. The 28-70 is much heavier and larger -- it's not a lens that I would want to use for travel. It's a great lens for indoor events, but I would not consider it a general use lens. The RF 28-70 also uses 95mm filters. I'd rather stick with the more commonly available 77 and 82mm filters that already are used on f/2.8 zooms. If you do decide to pick up the 28-70, I'd keep the 24-105 for the times you want a smaller/lighter kit.

For general use, the trade is between the RF 24-105 f/4 IS and the RF 24-70 f/2.8 IS, which is similar to their EF counterparts. IQ of both lenses is good, but I usually prefer the extra stop instead of the longer focal length range. If I want to go to longer focal lengths, then I'm carrying a 2nd lens (telephoto) anyway. For portraits, the difference at the long end is between 70 /f2.8 and 105 f/4. In that case, I usually prefer the 105 f/4, but then I'd really prefer 100-135mm @ f/2.8 and a flash for fill. For general walk-around, I don't miss the 70-105mm range that often, but I do like having that extra stop indoors without a flash.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
The 28-70 and 24-105 don't really address the same use cases. The 28-70 is much heavier and larger -- it's not a lens that I would want to use for travel. It's a great lens for indoor events, but I would not consider it a general use lens. The RF 28-70 also uses 95mm filters. I'd rather stick with the more commonly available 77 and 82mm filters that already are used on f/2.8 zooms. If you do decide to pick up the 28-70, I'd keep the 24-105 for the times you want a smaller/lighter kit.

For general use, the trade is between the RF 24-105 f/4 IS and the RF 24-70 f/2.8 IS, which is similar to their EF counterparts. IQ of both lenses is good, but I usually prefer the extra stop instead of the longer focal length range. If I want to go to longer focal lengths, then I'm carrying a 2nd lens (telephoto) anyway. For portraits, the difference at the long end is between 70 /f2.8 and 105 f/4. In that case, I usually prefer the 105 f/4, but then I'd really prefer 100-135mm @ f/2.8 and a flash for fill. For general walk-around, I don't miss the 70-105mm range that often, but I do like having that extra stop indoors without a flash.
Cheers, always good to hear real life experience. You make a good point re the lenses being for different uses.

I love the idea of the extra stop of the 24-70 but also love the flexibility of the focal length in the 24-105. I'd love to be able to have both but not sure my budget and skills warrant the extra and not inconsiderable expense of purchasing the 24-70.

I think I may stick with what I have as most of the time I'm on city breaks and landscapes so my existing combo isn't bad.

Thanks

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Thanks, RandomOrbits, for your comments comparing the RF 24-70 f2.8 and RF 24-105 f4, as I am one of many who would have to decide which one (if any) to get. But I'd also like to ask you what you think about the upcoming RF 70-135 f2 option being thrown into the mix? Assuming you have the RF 24-70 f2.8, then would adding the RF 70-200 f2.8 still be the best 2 lens solution for you - versus adding the RF 70-135 f2 and also adding (or not getting) the 70-200 f2.8? :unsure: There's a lot of great options, but at a high enough cost that it may be hard to justify getting all 3. What do you think?

Upvote 0
I have the RF 15-35 F2.8 , RF 28-70 F2 and the RF 70 -200 F2.8 , with a RP (waiting for the R5) , the 28-70 F2 is an awesome lens go for it you will love it , its big and heavy so make room in your bag .

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What is the best alternative to the Canon R5/R6. Something less pricey but good enough for portrait photography.
Would love to get the R5 but a prize of guessed 4299€ but the insane cost of the R glass makes photography extremely less fun for me.
Love to have the best but this is in sum too much - as a hobby.
Full frame in a small studio would be preferred but any input is welcome.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Canon 5DmkIV was $3499 at time of release in 2016.
Accounting for cumulative inflation of 6.8% that would be $3,738.89 today*.

But inflation can't be the only indicator, because the 5D mkIII was also $3499 at release in 2012. That would give it a value of $3,908.46 in 2020*.

Going all the way back to the mkII, it had the bargain price of $2699.99 at release in 2008. That would be $3,215.23 in 2020*.

So we are all over the map as far as what a 5D typically nets.

So Canon can do one of several things:

A) Keep the recent tradition and price it at $3499.99 like the previous 4 & 3 iterations.
B) Tack on inflation and round up price at $3799,99
C) Reason that the upgrades in specs and technology are so incredibly significant that they can push it all the way to $3999.99 and still boast that they kept it under $4k.

Some other thoughts. I bought a 5DmkIV a few months before the EOS R was announced. So I weighed heavily "upgrading" so shortly after buying the 5DIV. There were so many similarities, that it made no sense to switch so early. Same sensor, identical IQ, same Dual Pixel AF system and the tradeoffs did not give me a big enough reason to switch. Like trading dual card slots for a variangle screen, or superior weather sealing for access to the wonderful, albeit limited, RF lens lineup. What was noticeable is that with all that "equivalence" I struggled with, the EOS R was significantly cheaper than the 5DIV. Like almost a thousand dollar difference. Today, that price for the EOS R is even more way down. So maybe there's something to be said about manufacturing cost for a mirrorless system being significantly lower than for a DSLR. Maybe that's why for all the incredible spec jumps, they can still keep the cost at a "5D level?"

So maybe there's another option?

D) Manufacturing cost keep the price nice and tidy and maybe accounting for an economy in shambles we get it at a jaw dropping $3299.99. After all that would put it right around the cost of the last Canon camera that was a generational game-changer: the 5DmkII.

*inflation calculated using https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Excellent points all, I could definitely see a possible scenario where mirrorless is cheaper to produce than the mirror. And finally, another forum member who takes into account inflation. One fact you missed though is currency exchange rates. Depending on where Canon sources the parts and the current and forecast exchange rates even they could affect what Canon is able to sell this camera at while remaining profitable.

I still think they will debut the body at $3999.00 then drop rapidly within the following year. One factor that may keep the price higher longer than it did for the EOS R is the fact that they had to develop an all new sensor, with the EOS R they were able to reuse the 5DIV's sensor so their R&D costs weren't as great.

Upvote 0
What is the best alternative to the Canon R5/R6. Something less pricey but good enough for portrait photography.
Would love to get the R5 but a prize of guessed 4299€ but the insane cost of the R glass makes photography extremely less fun for me.
If you want a portrait camera the RP is a fabulous little camera,

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Cheers, always good to hear real life experience. You make a good point re the lenses being for different uses.

I love the idea of the extra stop of the 24-70 but also love the flexibility of the focal length in the 24-105. I'd love to be able to have both but not sure my budget and skills warrant the extra and not inconsiderable expense of purchasing the 24-70.

I think I may stick with what I have as most of the time I'm on city breaks and landscapes so my existing combo isn't bad.

Thanks
When I bought my 6D2, I got the 24-105mm non-L kit lens, figuring it would hold me until I accumulated an arsenal of lenses to cover that range. I have been pleasantly surprised with how useful it is as an all-purpose lens. I have not missed having the extra stop or two at the upper end. With the low noise at higher ISOs I don't feel a need for fast lenses except when I want to blur backgrounds, etc. Besides saving a few bucks, I thought maybe the STM lens might be a little better suited for video, except I rarely shoot video so that wasn't much of an excuse. Of course your needs and interests could be much different from mine. If I were starting over, I wouldn't hesitate to get the f/4 L version, but really have no problems with the STM as my general purpose lens. My main point is that it is such a useful focal-length range, similar to what I'm used to on my travel cameras, the G7X II and now the G5X II.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Canon RP if mirrorless. If DSLR then 6D. This was easy.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020

ANY modern camera is a good alternative to the R5. If I were in your situation today as in right now I would be considering the following bodies:

Full Frame
EOS R - $1800.00
5D IV - $2499.00
6D II - $1199.00

Crop
7D II - $1298
90D - $1200

I am still using my 5D IV for paying gigs and have no intention at all in getting the R5. The added benefit if you go EF mount is the lenses are cheaper. No matter what hype you see on this forum regarding mirrorless, for all practical purposes you will probably never outgrow the 5DIV.

In a studio setting you really won't even see much difference between a crop and full frame since you can properly light the scene which will save even more money. There are well respected portrait studio photographers who are even shooting MFT bodies such as the Olympus or Fuji where you will see a massive savings over the cost of FF lenses.

Joe Edelman is a fantastic portrait photographer and he uses an Olympus, in fact Joe Edelman is such a good Olympus ambassador and the Olympus has some pretty amazing portrait features which he showcases on his channel that when I retire I will probably ditch Canon and switch to Olympus for the occasional travel snap or portrait session :

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
Portrait photography especially if it's studio work with controlled lighting isn't very demanding task for a camera, and you don't need many of the specs you would be paying for with an R5 purchase.

My advice would be to buy a grey market new 5Ds for around $1100, you'll have an ideal studio camera and you will save a ton of money on buying clean used EF glass rather than new RF lenses with IQ that will meet or exceed your expectations.

You can own the 50mp 5DS a clean EF 85 1.4L, and 135L for less than $3k if you're a savvy buyer. That's a nice pro portrait kit.

Upvote 0
but . I think Canon did a really great job when they created the RF mount, and they will be rewarded - within the smaller margins of an overall shrinking market that hits every camera maker, of course.

Having owned the R, I can say that the adapter worked perfectly across a dozen lenses of vastly different ages and types, including obscure third party macro lenses. It was very impressive. The feature-added adapters were brilliant, especially the filter holder one.

But one thing I fear for is the loss of a robust third party lens market with the RF Mount. 1/2 my lenses were better third party models. Not just cheaper. And some of my best Canon glass was pushed by those third parties like Sigma.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Portrait photography especially if it's studio work with controlled lighting isn't very demanding task for a camera, and you don't need many of the specs you would be paying for with an R5 purchase.

My advice would be to buy a grey market new 5Ds for around $1100, you'll have an ideal studio camera and you will save a ton of money on buying clean used EF glass rather than new RF lenses with IQ that will meet or exceed your expectations.

You can own the 50mp 5DS a clean EF 85 1.4L, and 135L for less than $3k if you're a savvy buyer. That's a nice pro portrait kit.

Personally I am not a fan of the 5Ds and consider it a niche camera similar to the 1DX. He/She will end up with massive files that are huge overkill for a hobbyist in a studio and a camera body that is not great at much else. The 5DIV is a true hybrid camera and is more suitable to a wider range of scenarios.

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
Personally I am not a fan of the 5Ds and consider it a niche camera similar to the 1DX. He/She will end up with massive files that are huge overkill for a hobbyist in a studio and a camera body that is not great at much else. The 5DIV is a true hybrid camera and is more suitable to a wider range of scenarios.
I agree with you its a niche camera. But the niche is exactly the subject poster was interested in and can be had for half or less than the price of a 5DIV which may be more versatile but that does come at a cost.

I liked all the other suggestions but considering the price, the fact that its tailor made for studio work, and is very affordable someone needed to at least suggest it as an option for the poster.

Of course, I made no assumptions on the hardware for post processing, but an upgrade to a better chip in your laptop or desktop, and memory are some of the cheaper investments for a photography enthusiast.

Upvote 0