Images of three new Zeiss Supreme Prime Cinema lenses leak ahead of announcement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Images of the three new Zeiss Supreme Prime Cinema lenses have leaked ahead of their official announcement.
The three new Zeiss Supreme Prime Cinema lenses:

18mm T1.5
40mm T1.5
200mm T2.2

About Zeiss Supreme Prime Cinema Lenses:
Consistency is one of the key elements offered by the ZEISS Supreme Prime lenses: that means consistent coverage, color rendering, aperture, size, weight, and ergonomics. All the lenses across the family cover full-frame and even bigger sensors with an image circle of 46.3 mm. The Supreme Prime lenses are color matched across the full range and most feature a fast T-stop of T1.5.
Expect an official announcement soon.

EZlHjfPUEAAIrGY-168x168.jpg

EZlHkb0U4AATfxa-168x168.jpg

EZlHlTlVAAIYq8J-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Mar 25, 2011
Any idea if Canon is licensing the RF mount to Zeiss so they can make these (and other Zeiss lenses) for the "R" line? The upcoming R5, in particular, will beg for the quality of lens Zeiss manufactures.
Canon has repeatedly stated they do not license their mounts. They make some of the best lenses for broadcast, and also have a line of low end cinema lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Any idea if Canon is licensing the RF mount to Zeiss so they can make these (and other Zeiss lenses) for the "R" line? The upcoming R5, in particular, will beg for the quality of lens Zeiss manufactures.

Is there any problem with Canon R lenses?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon has repeatedly stated they do not license their mounts. They make some of the best lenses for broadcast, and also have a line of low end cinema lenses.
I don’t think that is entirely accurate, I thought they would license the mount but not the AF protocol to non Japanese companies. In EXIF Zeiss lenses are accurately recorded because they are licensed and Canon give them their own number in the camera lens look up table. Companies like Sigma don’t they reverse engineer the electronic protocol and mimic a genuine Canon lens by telling the camera they are something else.

Companies like RED and Zeiss have agreements with Canon, indeed I thought RED were the first third party camera company to make EF mount with working electronics.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I don’t think that is entirely accurate, I thought they would license the mount but not the AF protocol to non Japanese companies. In EXIF Zeiss lenses are accurately recorded because they are licensed and Canon give them their own number in the camera lens look up table. Companies like Sigma don’t they reverse engineer the electronic protocol and mimic a genuine Canon lens by telling the camera they are something else.

Companies like RED and Zeiss have agreements with Canon, indeed I thought RED were the first third party camera company to make EF mount with working electronics.

And the (still in beta) RED Komodo is native RF mount.

Upvote 0
I have always wondered how a cine lens would do for portraits. I'll never know. I should probably rent a cine lens to find out.
There is nothing magical about the image quality.
Signature Primes are the same as Zeiss Stills lenses, but they have different iris with more blades to give a rounder aperture.
So out of focus rendering is a bit smoother.
They are assembled much more carefully so that all the elements are all centered and flat and consistent.
The mechanics are different obviously, but that doesn't gain you anything for stills.

Upvote 0