There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

D

Deleted member 381342

This should be more comparable to the A7R IV. 1DX III is what would compare to the A9 II...

I don't think I agree. The A9 II is a fast camera but it is not on the level of the Nikon and Canon pro bodies. I expect the R5 to compete with the A9II. When we are talking pro bodies it'll be the R1 vs the Nikon Z (8/9?), two pre gripped bodies with excellent ergonomics and 20 MP so their data can be easily edited in moments.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
I have arrived here because of the new that Olympus is divesting their camera division, so I'm paying attention to other brand for the first time in years, and damn am I ever lusting after an R5 kit.

But UGH. This drives me crazy because Olympus pixel shift has supported flash from the very first time they implemented it in the E-M5 Mark II, which is, as far as I know, the first time anyone ever implemented it. And then everyone else came along an copies it, but worse.

I totally get why the trade-offs of Olympus wasn't for everyone, and in the end the gamble seems not to have paid off. But they deserve way more credit than they get for either inventing or perfecting features while everyone else was asleep at the wheel. Without Olympus, there would be way less excitement for a much less "innovative" R5 today.
OLYMPUS make amazing cameras (my first camera was an OM10) and is just a shame they stuck with small sensors when the market demanded bigger ones.

The fact that OLYMPUS has always supported flash with their multi-shot mode is the reason why it angers me with all the other manufacturers cameras with Imulti mode leave this functionallity out - even Leica with the new SL2 firmware haven't bothered........ Come on Canon, show the others why you're number one.

Upvote 0
As others have mentioned, it's boring and basic but please sort out the EFV lag and make the sensor read real time, otherwise pretty pointless having 12 / 20fps.

Built in ND / Grad filters would be nice. :)
eh aren't mirrorless camera's kind of supposed to give you that feature that you don't really have a delay on your evf because you already see directly from your sensor what you are going to shoot? hence 'mirrorless'? (correct me if i'm wrong)

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Built in RT Flash Controller?
I don't think this could be the "major new feature", but I agree it would be a very good thing to have, and rather overdue. I was disappointed that the 5D4 didn't have it - at least with my crop bodies I can fall back on optical for my product photography etc., but the 5D4 has no built-in flash.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
eh aren't mirrorless camera's kind of supposed to give you that feature that you don't really have a delay on your evf because you already see directly from your sensor what you are going to shoot? hence 'mirrorless'? (correct me if i'm wrong)
However you slice it, seeing it a few milliseconds later means you press the shutter button a few milliseconds later.

Also, in many sports/action/wildlife long lens situations it's useful to keep the other (usually left) eye open to see things approaching from outside the field of view, but people who have done this tell me it's very unsettling that your two eyes are now out of sync. EVF lag will never be zero of course, but I imagine there could be a point where it is so close to real time that the brain can handle it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I would love it to be dual analog gain recording and mixing into to the digital output of the raw file. That would be crazy. This would allow us to have basically noiseless images anywhere between iso 100 and iso 10.000 and only from there you'd see the gradual increase in noise. I mean I would love to have images shot @ 20.000 iso that look like they were shot at 6.400 iso today...

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Does no one else find it odd that Canon themselves have said nothing about this so called upcoming release event? I don't know anything about Canon's press release history, but I would think with only 8 days to go that they would have already started the hype machine and provided some kind of countdown to the press release. According to their calendar, July looks like a very quiet month: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/events/#calendar

Upvote 0
I have to ask this question of the original poster. If Canon can close the gap on battery life AND significantly reduce the latency between the image sensor and EVF, do you really care if they don't release a 5d V? If I did not shoot wildlife, I would have already migrated to a mirrorless because it has advantages over a DSLR. If you saw Fros review of the 1dx III, he loved the capability of the 1dx III when shooting his cobbled together "mirrorless" equivalent using the rear LCD panel. He was raving about the 1dx III as the example of what Canon could do with mirrorless rather than shooting as a DSLR. Whether you like Fro or not (he can be obnoxious), he did a pretty thorough comparison. I have already sold off my 5dIV and "landscape" oriented equipment, the 1dx II and wildlife stuff will go if the R5 fixes the two main issues with mirrorless.

The hope is the R5 can match the 1DXIII's LV AF performance, then we should get a good action camera at least in mechanical shutter mode. Rolling shutter will be too high to get much use out of e-shutter for action I'm sure.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
In theory yes but in the R & RP and most other mirrorless camera's, asking the sensor to communicate with the EVF and also process new images, focusing etc when using high FPS is hard for it to cope with and the EVF can sometimes take second place to the image processing and have a little bit of lag or blackout. It's been well reported as an issue on the R so hopefully like the 1DX MKIII live view this has been resolved in the R5 or at least improved dramatically.

Im not an expert on the technical aspects so assume it's not just a mechanical shutter, sensor or processor issue but a combination of all three. It sounds like Canon have something exciting so hopefully its this area which if sorted would be a huge win.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would love it to be dual analog gain recording and mixing into to the digital output of the raw file. That would be crazy. This would allow us to have basically noiseless images anywhere between iso 100 and iso 10.000 and only from there you'd see the gradual increase in noise. I mean I would love to have images shot @ 20.000 iso that look like they were shot at 6.400 iso today...
Topaz Denois AI is your friend. I've shot birds at 25600 on Sony A9 and had excellent feather detail still after cleaning up with Topaz.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
A mirror reflects light which travels(not surprisingly) at the speed of light. So no lag. An EVF requires light to hit the sensor and then for the computer to process the light and create a digital image in the EVF. Hence there is a delay

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
After accidentally moving the AF point on the tough screen of my R about 50 times today, I'd like to see a setting to use a double tap to select a AF point on the touch screen.

This is truly brilliant. At least offer the option in the menu. Please.

Upvote 0