Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
My question is: does the camera shutdown because of a temperature limit that's hit or a firmware setting or both? By both I mean if it hit's a temperature limit does the firmware make sure it doesn't record for 10 minutes meaning your stuck?
seriously.. can you think of the following solution for a second: when and if you hit the temperature limit with your R5, cannot you just detach the lens from R5 and keep it that way for a few minutes? with curtains closed, of course.. you do not need to wait for 10 minutes then.. a 2-3 minutes at longest. of even blow a portable handheld fan (A$8 = US$5) into the mount throat for a minute.. :)

42775904-1-f.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
It's great to read the various comments and discussions about the R5 with two camps seeming to appear, the stills camp that doesn't want to pay for the 8k video specs and the video camp that complains about the upfront announced overheating when recording longer clips in 8k and 4k 120fps. Lets be honest, Canon were pretty honest about this with the guest reviews.

I must be unusual as I'm 70% Landscape, 20% action and 10% video, so for me, the R5 is a little more expensive than I wanted to pay but the increased features over the R makes it all worthwhile. I must admit, I'll probably never shoot in 8k for a long while until it is more common but 4k @ 24fps without crop sounds great to me for the odd time I need to shoot video and it will never be more than a few minutes.

I must admit from all the reviews provided by the pre production testers, Overheating only seems to be an issue after about 20 minutes, which probably is a decent length of time for most people not doing professional video that want fantastic stills capability as well. Surely if you're doing video longer than 20 minutes, a more film based solution would be better?? I know there is a concern that if multiple clips are done quickly one after the other this could cause overheating but again, if your into that kind of filming, maybe the R5 isn't the right solution.

I don't think any manufacturer will ever provide a true solution that satisfies all camps. But what do I know lol.

The bit that hurt is not just the starting price of £4199 but the add ons of two CF express cards, a spare battery and a reader. OUCH!!

Hopefully that's me set for a few years and no birthday or Christmas presents in the next couple of years. Exciting times.

I don't care much about video limitations, the quality is great and i would probably never shoot over 10 minutes at once.
But the overheating also seems to be an issue with 4K 60p and even 30p and there is a 30 minute record limit.
So it might be an issue for those who want to film long interviews, weddings, etc, which can easily last over 30 minutes.

I think the overheating is well overblown by Sony fanboys who are just happy they could find something to criticise.
My only problem with the R5/R6 is the price and lack of a 200-600 type lens which costs less than $2000

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The R/RF gear seems fantastic in many ways, but from my point of view as a hobbyist, Canon is pricing itself out of the game. For example, R6 is about A$4400, RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS is about A$3650 and RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS is about A$4000, so that would be a A$12,050 setup. For comparison, Sony A7 III is about A$2950, Sigma 24-70 f.2.8 Art (for Sony) and Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 are about A$2150 each, so that would be a A$7250 setup. I would rather have the Canon gear (and yes, I realise the Canon lenses have IS which the lenses for the Sony don't, and that it is looking like Canon's IBIS is better than Sony's IBIS - and yes, I know you can adapt EF glass to the R system cameras), and in particular I would much rather have the ergonomics of the Canon R system bodies, but that price difference is too big for me to simply ignore. If I was keen to go mirrorless at this point, I think I would have to look hard at the Sony, as much as I wouldn't really want to. I am not in a rush to go mirrorless anyway, so it's a moot point for me at the moment, but still, Canon's pricing is certainly reducing my enthusiasm.

That's just me, of course. I'm sure Canon has done its market research and has good reason to believe the market will bear the prices its charging, so good luck to them. I suspect Canon will do well, as the gear does seem to be excellent.

PS - those prices are just from a quick online search. It may be possible to do better if you shop around. And I have ignored grey market import prices for now.
Nope, that’s not you. That’s the USD to AUD exchange rate that makes the price outlandish for many Aussies. I am not taking out a second mortgage to jump on the Canon R bandwagon. Hey, I managed just fine with a pair of 5D4 and a stable of EF lenses so far. I will keep shooting with my old cameras until I come across a mint R5 locally :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
It's great to read the various comments and discussions about the R5 with two camps seeming to appear, the stills camp that doesn't want to pay for the 8k video specs and the video camp that complains about the upfront announced overheating when recording longer clips in 8k and 4k 120fps.
For you, I'm probably deeply in the "stills" camp, but I wouldn't mind using 8K raw for a 30fps burst of raw stills.

Obviously, I don't care if it overheats in 20 minutes of shooting video. I don't need such long bursts.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Honestly, as someone who posts here a lot, I have no problem calling a spade a spade - if the camera overheats, it overheats. Let's discuss it. However, as it stands, there's no evidence that this happens often in use, given that no one has had extensive time to shoot with the camera at all, and it won't even be available for several weeks.

Let's talk about overheating once there's something to talk about, you know?
Canon EOL mentioned number of times during the R5 presentation video: it does not overheat...

My take on it : Canon being Canon conservative and cautious. It likely won’t be as bad as it looks.
As I posted earlier: why not to detach the lens from the camera for a minute or two. The sensor is protected by curtains. In a dusty or windy environment a thin cloth over the mount throat would help. :))

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I’m very lucky to make money from photography and video but from a hobbyists perspective the barriers to entry into photography are extremely high. The cost of cameras, lenses, memory cards, tripods, filters, bags and flashguns is getting higher and higher and the Canon R/RF system is living proof as £4K for a camera body in totally crazy. When I compare now to when I started photography as a hobby in the early 80’s and getting set up as a young boy was relatively affordable. An R6 is not the sort of thing most 10 year olds parents would dream of getting their son/daughter for Christmas.

Technology, miniaturisation and R&D costs a lots of money and today’s cameras are a far cry from my simple Olympus OM10 with its button cell battery and manual film wind but it’s no wonder the camera market is shrinking at such a rapid rate when you consider we get a great stills (and video) camera for FREE with our mobile phones.
My first iPhone was about $400. My current iPhone was $1,250. So I wouldn't call new features, including better cameras and video, “FREE.”

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
As I posted earlier: why not to detach the lens from the camera for a minute or two. The sensor is protected by curtains. In a dusty or windy environment a thin cloth over the mount throat would help. :))
Reminds me of...

Upvote 0
My first iPhone was about $400. My current iPhone was $1,250. So I wouldn't call new features, including better cameras and video, “FREE.”
I know I’ve massively over simplified it but most don’t buy a new smart phone because of the camera but with each generation the camera gets much better or has added photography related functionality.

I’m just sympathising with those not earning money from photography or not currently financially able to justify the new elevated costs of the R system.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
There were no offers for the R when I purchased mine in march last year and at the time, the grip was not readily available and where it was in stock, the price was ridiculous.

Canon obviously either thinks the UK is cash rich or isn't bothered about making any interesting offers here. That's my cynical head lol.

I agree, I did wonder if they would do the same offer they did in the UK when the 1DX MKIII came out, a SanDisk CFexpress card and reader included but no such luck, just the free EF to EOSR adapter claim. Interestingly the R had one of these included so not much of an offer really,
When the RP was launched, Canon for awhile threw in a free EF-RF adapter and the grip. I don’t think they do that anymore, but the RP body price has dropped. You really had to have the adapter at that time as the RF lens portfolio was tiny.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I know I’ve massively over simplified it but most don’t buy a new smart phone because of the camera but with each generation the camera gets much better or has added photography related functionality.

I’m just sympathising with those not earning money from photography or not currently financially able to justify the new elevated costs of the R system.
Yes, the top of the R line is beyond the sensible reach of many hobbyists. But you can pick up an RP model for very affordable prices these days. Even the R is well below $2,000 now and is a really advanced camera, though obviously less than the newest — and most expensive — new models. Canon actually offers some very reasonably priced entries to the full-frame mirrorless world. And there are now many more affordable RF lens options, too.

Upvote 0
When the RP was launched, Canon for awhile threw in a free EF-RF adapter and the grip. I don’t think they do that anymore, but the RP body price has dropped. You really had to have the adapter at that time as the RF lens portfolio was tiny.
Canon should have set the initial price of the R5 at U.S. $3999 and thrown in a free EF-RF adapter. Then, everyone would be happy! :D

Upvote 0
Since everyone on the internet is screaming "overheating" (at least they found a different word this time, "crippled" wasn't fun anymore) i'll post the latest temp limits by Canon.

8K Raw 20 minutes, 4k120p 15 minutes, 4k60p 35 minutes, 4k30 (8.2k oversampling 30 minutes), 4k 30p not limited by heat.

All in a fully weathersealed body. Let's see if someone else can do better.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Since everyone on the internet is screaming "overheating" (at least they found a different word this time, "crippled" wasn't fun anymore) i'll post the latest temp limits by Canon.

8K Raw 20 minutes, 4k120p 15 minutes, 4k60p 35 minutes, 4k30 (8.2k oversampling 30 minutes), 4k 30p not limited by heat.

Have to say I agree. Given the limitations of the body size and it being weather sealed, they have actually done pretty well really

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I'd add a time qualifier, like "do better in 2020", having it open ended is just making it easier for people to go trolling in 6 years when the others have caught up :)

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
I don't care much about video limitations, the quality is great and i would probably never shoot over 10 minutes at once.
But the overheating also seems to be an issue with 4K 60p and even 30p and there is a 30 minute record limit.
So it might be an issue for those who want to film long interviews, weddings, etc, which can easily last over 30 minutes.

I think the overheating is well overblown by Sony fanboys who are just happy they could find something to criticise.
My only problem with the R5/R6 is the price and lack of a 200-600 type lens which costs less than $2000
I don't get all the bashing of Sony fanboys. This is a particularly egregious example when it's quite clear that many long-time Canon users are complaining about the overheating problem. The bashing goes both ways. Sony fanboys criticize Canon users to the same extent--then both sides get into petty arguments about which fanboys are worst. I can't put myself in either camp. I've used Canon DSLRs since 2003 but made a move to Nikon when Canon's innovation slowed. I kept my Canon EF lenses--just too good to get rid of--in hope that Canon would eventually get its act together. I then picked up a Sony a7rIII to continue using that wonderful Canon glass--not surprising, but the Sony's 42MPs gave me the best damn images I ever produced with those lenses. I now have an r5 on order because it looks like Canon has gotten its act together. Lol, Canon has so gotten its act together that it has almost certainly surpassed if not obsoleted the lenses I've retained all these years.

Hence, in addition to the r5, I have the 100-500 on order (I will sell my 100-400) and will likely order the 15-35 after seeing actual r5 reviews. I'll continue using my EF 24-70 mainly because the 15-35 should become my primary lens.

The short of it is, the back and forth between Canon and Sony fans is extremely tiresome. Sony made some great products, and was the source of tremendous innovation for most of the past decade. They pushed the envelope tremendously. Now it looks like Canon is prepared to retake that role. But the r5--just like the Sony cameras-- is not flawless (will there ever be a camera that is?). I suspect that I might lose a touch in DR with the r5 (but not enough to be concerned with), and I'm concerned about whether rolling shutter will be problematic. With my Sony, the files are way too large, there's no fully articulated LCD, and the IBIS could be a lot better. For me, ergonomics and menus have never been a problem. Again, no camera is perfect.

But my self-esteem is not dependent on being able to brag about my system being better than yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0