R6 as a vlogging camera ? what are my lens options?

rosw

EOS R
Sep 13, 2012
Hi Guys,

With EOS R6 new IBIS system of up to 8 Stop of shake stabilization and 4K 60p/180 - 120p, sounds very tempting for me who does causal video recording / blogging ontop of photography.

I would like know what are my lens options? (RF / EF or third party OEM lens)

Can I use Canon EF-S / EF-M lens on EOS R6? will there be any degrade in video quality?

if i use a gimbal together with EOS R with the approved RF IS lens , can i achieve more than 8 Stop of Shake stabilization?

thanks!

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You can use EF, and EF-S lenses on an R camera with an adapter, but you cannot use an EF-M lens at all (no adapter exists, and none is possible unless it has optics inside of it). I'll try to explain:

This is because all you have to do for the EF and EF-S lenses is hold them farther away from the camera. They were originally for DSLRs and had to be further away from the sensor to give room for the mirror. So they work on Rs, provided you put on an adapter whose function is to hold them further away from the sensor than R lenses are.

The EF-M lenses were designed for mirrorless from the get-go, and thus "want" to sit close to the sensor. Because of the short distance and the different diameter, there's no way to just build a hollow tube to adapt them to an R mount.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Personally, for this specific purpose, I would just get the kit with RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM lens with a selfie stick to reduce distortion on the face.
It has 8 stops combined of image stabilisation, very cheap, very light, no adapter needed, etc.
The second lens I would consider is the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens if 24mm is not wide enough for you, it will be quite a bit heavier with the adapter.
Cheapskate sleeper alternative is the EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens.

You can use the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM on this camera, but you are throwing away half of the sensor, you are throwing away a lot of quality and you mainly buy this camera because it is FF.

Might as well wait for an EOS M camera with IBIS in that case, that will be much better for this than the R6

Last edited:
Upvote 0