Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I don’t think you see the concern
If the concerns are true then this is a disappointment for video users

imagine if the burst rate on your camera was limited by temperature. You would miss shots or change what you really wanted to do based on how warm your camera.

Hoping it’s not true

it's... a camera with strong video capabilities, but its a camera.. there are video cameras dedicated to video without these issues.. but they have other compromises and costs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
YouTubers are the ones to blame. Yes, you do have some reasonable people among them, but you also have a bunch of crazed millennials who believe they're entitled to deserve that one "perfect" camera that doesn't exist, and who multiply even the smallest drawbacks ten fold. Some of them genuinely believe R5 can only be used as a doorstop because of this.

And the phenomenon is not limited to hybrid mirrorless video. This unbelievably spoiled, entitled, "woe is me the world is not perfect" mentality permeates every aspect of life today. I cannot stand the nitpicking negativity of today's culture.

Trying to stay on topic and not stray into politics or another field: compare Tony and Chelsea crying about overheating while recording 8.2k oversampled 4k 30p to Potato Jet talking about what you can accomplish with a 'lowly' M50 or 80D at 1080p. Negativity gets clicks, it's click bait cocaine to this generation, so I understand why everyone does it. But I hate it and I would rather watch Potato Jet any day because he's happy, positive, and talking about what you can do rather than crying about what you cannot.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Well that didn't actually say anything we didn't already know???

Canon need to manufactures an EF lens adapter with a fan to suck heat directly from the sensor for the long take video shooters.
Sure, you have the Official tables with a bit more information than what has previously been floating around and paraphrased. And if recording some unusual scene longer than 30 minutes one can make appropriate plans.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Some of them genuinely believe R5 can only be used as a doorstop because of this.

Also: Canon has completely BLOWN IT with the doorstop market because the R5 is not heavy enough to hold larger doors against high winds. The Canon cripple hammer strikes again. Lots of people in the stills/video/doorstop hybrid market are going to abandon Canon over this and go straight to a manufacturer with heavier bodies. Canon is doomed!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Again, real world scenarios. Would you really need to shoot 30 SECONDS of 120fps footage, for 2 hours? Firstly, the entire point of 120FPS is recording extremely short scenes for slow mo reproduction. Think Mythbusters... high speed camera to record an instant of time. If you're recording 30 seconds of continuous 120fps, I think you're already in a minority (I think even 15 seconds is pushing it). Needing to do it constantly for 2 hours (I can understand 2 or 3 retakes of an action scene... but 2 hours?) then yeah... a C500 is more up your alley.

One real world scenario I can think of... wanting to record cars drifting round a corner in slow mo. Ok... first of all... each scene is less than 10 seconds long (including lead in and lead out times). Secondly, in 15 minutes you can record 90 cars drifting around the corner before you need to take a break. Isn't that enough for a STILLS camera? If you need to record more than that, once again, it's like trying to make a Morris Minor do 300kph and log a record at Nurburgring. There are pieces of equipment DESIGNED for that sort of abuse.
Me, personally, no. My shooting style doesn't need to shoot that much slow mo.
You are right, I shoot 10sec clips 3-4 times, think about my strategy and result for 2-3min, move to next subject then shoot again. On the 1DX II, I can even take my 4K60s with a CF card and rely entirely on the camera's buffer. I bought only a 256GB Cfast last year.

However, I had a friend who manually shoots products and does it over and over again until he is happy with one take, then moves to the next step.
Yes, he is among the minority. He uses my 256GB Cfast a lot more often than me.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
For those who complained that Canon was focussing on video too much for the R5, this overheating issues shows that Canon compromised in favour of stills photographers.

By keeping out cooling fan and maintaing small camera size, there were always going to be thermal limitations with uncropped UHD video. However the current design strikes a good balance for a hybrid camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Perhaps I'm just a crazy fanboy, but this seems... entirely reasonable and not at all out of step with what I expected? Not only that, but I actually think Canon's transparency on the matter is enormously refreshing? Am I the insane one here?

I am usually very quick to criticize large companies who fail to meet expectations or pull some pseudo bait-and-switch nonsense, but I genuinely don't believe the outsized criticism of these heat "issues" is warranted. The R5 is not -- and was never advertised as -- a C500 replacement. The spec sheet, even including these high end recording limitations, is more than I possibly could have asked for 6 months ago. What were others who are more critical honestly expecting? (This is not a pejorative statement by the way, I'm genuinely curious -- if you're disappointed by this, what were your expectations?)
Anyone that has expectation for an electronic device to function continuously without cooling has unusual expectations. Videographers are constantly complaining about fan noise. Their prime concern. They would prefer to limit the scene to 15 minutes than deal with constant fan noise.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If you can afford enough CFE memory to run into the heat limits all the time, you can afford a Cinema camera :ROFLMAO:
That's what I was thinking. I don't shoot video or really have plans to, so I'm way out of my element here, but exactly how much space would you need to hit the theoretical limit on on the chart in 8k? What would a card that size cost if it existed?

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
And the phenomenon is not limited to hybrid mirrorless video. This unbelievably spoiled, entitled, "woe is me the world is not perfect" mentality permeates every aspect of life today. ..........

....[talk] about what you can do rather than crying about what you cannot.

You nailed it. These people are blowing my mind with how non-constructive and detached from reality they can be. Oddly I rarely see any of the whiners making amazing stills or video because they are too busy complaining. The R5 and R6 are amazing stills cameras that are in line with their predecessor pricing, with bonus incredible video features.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Glad they released the figures so that people know what they're getting into.

Funny how 8k didn't even exist on consumer cameras until now and now that it does it's the worst thing ever. Looking at you, Sony Northrup.
The funny thing is that Tony just released a video review of the Fuji XT-4. Problem aside from AF: overheating! Anywhere from 8.5 minutes to 13 minutes.

Apparently Fuji is not immune to the laws of physics either, no matter how much internet whining there is.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
And the phenomenon is not limited to hybrid mirrorless video. This unbelievably spoiled, entitled, "woe is me the world is not perfect" mentality permeates every aspect of life today. I cannot stand the nitpicking negativity of today's culture.

Trying to stay on topic and not stray into politics or another field: compare Tony and Chelsea crying about overheating while recording 8.2k oversampled 4k 30p to Potato Jet talking about what you can accomplish with a 'lowly' M50 or 80D at 1080p. Negativity gets clicks, it's click bait cocaine to this generation, so I understand why everyone does it. But I hate it and I would rather watch Potato Jet any day because he's happy, positive, and talking about what you can do rather than crying about what you cannot.

The tragedy of that video is it's a perfectly fine message! If video is important, probably want to wait for a review. Due to COVID, there was no hands on time at the launch and so info is pretty thin.

But then they had Chelsea come out and play up this petulant/whiny attitude on camera? I've watched a lot of their videos and she is usually quite the opposite of this: measured, professional, approaches things from the point of view of a working photographer. TBH I felt kind of gross/embarrassed watching that segment and turned it off the second time she was like "but whyyyyyy." Felt way, way forced.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
As a still shooters who hopes to use the 8K RAW at 30 fps to grab frames of fast moving subjects I am not too concerned with the recording limits. I would likely only use the function for 20-30 seconds at a time and can work within the limitations.
Therein lies the point. These cameras are tools just like any other. All tools have limitations. Use the tools within their limitations. If you want/need 8K unlimited shooting capabilities the R5 is not the tool for you. It is as simple as that. At least the options are available in the camera to do 8k and 4k120 and 4k60 and 4k30. With limitations, but they are available. So many people wanted Canon to push the limits like Sony has been doing. Well, they are pushing the limits. They put 8K video in a body that costs less than 4K USD. Don't poo poo them now for innovating. Personally, I shoot short clips and I love the fact I will be able to shoot 1-5 minute 8K videos that I can edit together with still images to make short videos to promote my tours, etc. I can't wait to gets this body in my hands and give it a go.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I don't suspect my shooting style will be susceptible to overheating. I shoot in short clips. I also typically shoot in FHD and IPB the majority of the time. I didn't like the crop in 4K for regular shooting on the EOS R, and didn't like the large file sizes on the 5DMkIV. I will probably try to shoot in 4K now that the codec is fine and the crop is gone. Although, I can still see myself using 1080p.

8K is going to be a specialty thing for extra reach, and giving me the ability to 4X zoom/pan with no loss of resolution in 4K... and even 8X zoom with no loss of resolution in FHD. I'm actually super curious about the latter. I actually look forward to doing the whole "Enhance!" joke.
The 4K120P is what I'm super excited about because the High Frame Rate modes in previous Canon's were mostly unusable to me because of the soft and grainy looking 720p and lack of autofocus.
For both of these specialty features I have no intent on filming longer than a brief moment. The 120P will likely be less than a minute. And the 8K will probably top out at 5 minutes.

I'm happy with IPB for the majority of things so I may not ever see it overheat ever. lol. If I were going to make the decision to use All-I, oversampled 4K, or extensively use 8K... this is going to be for a planned shoot. I would be story-boarding, account for time of day for lighting, etc... so I would likely have to include the heat management in the planning and execution. I'd probably pack a cooler w/ ice packs.

I can see at the worst, wedding videographers maybe having the biggest legitimate gripe. If it were me, I would honestly shoot in the lower quality 4K24p with the occasional 60FPS for slo-motion, because then I'd have unlimited shooting time and I don't think my clients are going to be able to tell the difference. If they were distinguishing clients who wanted amazing footage, then it's going to cost them. I would need to rent the proper gear for the job in that case.

The outrage is funny to me, because even on both ends of the spectrum, nobody has had the final production model in hand and people are speaking as if their viewpoint is fact. You're just going to have to use it for yourself in your specific use case or at least wait until it gets real world reviews. I fully intend on testing if I have overheating problems for my work flow. And even if it does, I already have measures in mind. My favorite is finding a convenience store and throwing the R5 in a refrigerator for a couple minutes. :sneaky:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I fully intend on testing if I have overheating problems for my work flow. And even if it does, I already have measures in mind. My favorite is finding a convenience store and throwing the R5 in a refrigerator for a couple minutes. :sneaky:
I like it, I might finally be able to use the cooled seat in my Range Rover that my wife refuses to allow me to turn on because she is always cold:)

Upvote 0