Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
Oh? You wanna do it IN camera too? OK!! But you gotta respect the laws of physics and the principals of thermodynamics.
The thing here is that some YouTube "professionals" claim to know every single aspect of video production, but feel like they don't have to know jack sh** about electronics. Anyway, I skimmed through their profiles - yep, hardly a shooter at all, let alone a professional.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
The thing here is that some YouTube "professionals" claim to know every single aspect of video production, but feel like they don't have to know jack sh** about electronics. Anyway, I skimmed through their profiles - yep, hardly a shooter at all, let alone a professional.
Well yeah, if you don’t know your stuff, start teaching others. Who knows, they might not even notice...

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
You'd need alternate display mode if you're sending video signals in a way an Atmos could pickup. I'd be surprised if the embedded USB C controller supports that. You're still limited by the heat generated from the sensor.

(I would be much more interested in writing directly to a fast 2TB SSD over USB-C)
Yeah, I'm wondering if the actual controller in the camera is up to snuff. There is something to it though because Canon has been outputting display via the USB port using the new EOS Webcam Utility Beta. If it is, it'd be perfectly viable as there are USB-C to Display Port adapters. And I'm sure it's a device Atomos could develop using a straight USB-C to USB-C transfer if the R5 could put it out.

It again goes back to what is generating the heat. I don't think a direct write to SSD would mitigate heat problems. I do agree though on the interest. That would be so much more economical than recording to CFExpress cards, and am 100% with you on that.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
questions unanswered:

How is over heating effected with different ambient temps? from switching from stills mode to video?

How is over heating affected with battery grip?

How is heat affected when recording to external monitor? and whats the maximum external frame rate / resolution to external? is it oversampled?
It is not unanswered. They said the camera will give you an estimated record time depending on current status. They cant exactly give you a chart with every single variable though but it should be obvious that as temps get hotter the record time will be lessened. Whetherit is a linear relationship however? Wait untill you hear some real world reports

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I like it, I might finally be able to use the cooled seat in my Range Rover that my wife refuses to allow me to turn on because she is always cold:)
lol. Cooled seats are the best, have them in my Q5. And Be careful. Your wife might like the R5 if it keeps her warm. More time warming her hands means less time shooting for you.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
This is a dangerous assumption. The on chip information processing, read circuitry, and ADC are all big sources of heat. I don't think the encoding is what's at fault here, otherwise you wouldn't see unlimited (well, thermally) times in the binning and 1:1 modes. Would love to be wrong, as it'd solve the most important (oversampled 4K24/30 and 4K60) issues. An external recorder still won't give you 8K RAW nor 4K 120.
I’m just relaying personal experience. There’s a big, very obvious difference in power consumption (and in turn, heat generation) when recording externally vs internally on my EOS R.

My 1DX2 gets notably hotter recording 4k24 (only available internally) vs my EOS R doing the same format but with external Ninja V. The LPE6N battery in the R will almost EQUAL or OUTLAST the LP-E19 in the 1DX2 in that situation... which is NUTS.

So, based on that, I can reasonably determine just how much power is being consumed by encoding and recording, and thereby heat.

In addition, I have a MacPro that will fan blast and heat up like a stove when encoding is happening in Adobe Premier.

Recording/Encoding video is an extremely power/heat intensive process.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Extremely interested in your findings using the new R's with the Shogun 7 (or Ninja V).

Please start a new forum topic when your camera arrives rather than burying it here as external recording could be a great solution for 4K60p.
I’ll be happy to! But I will say that I have never once anyone complaining about problems recording any capable format externally. So I would bet good money right here and now that using an external recorder would almost completely eliminate (if not completely) any issues of overheating in formats capable of being send off camera... which in this case in 4k is 60p

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Well if you buy it for stills only, your lashing out two grand or more on video specs that you don't want. Which is precisely why I'm not overly enamoured with it.

Not necessarily. At least part of that cost is for the sensor and fast readout speed. In fact, I suspect that had they not been interested in developing video, neither of those stills-useful features would be in this camera.

[Yes, this is the thousandth time someone has had to point this out to people who assume video adds huge $$$$ to the price of a camera with no benefit to stills shooters.]

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Well if you buy it for stills only, your lashing out two grand or more on video specs that you don't want. Which is precisely why I'm not overly enamoured with it.

I’m buying mine for stills, and maybe I’ll shoot a little video with it if the mood strikes. I actually used my EOS-R to shoot a little video today just because of all the discussion about video around here the last couple of days.

Meh.

If it’s true that you can get 35MP stills out of an 8K clip that are decent then maybe I’ll do it a little more on the R5. Certainly I’ll never come anywhere near the well-published “OH MY GOD SHE’S MELTING DOWN” limit and if for some reason I do it’s not like I haven’t been warned.

If you adjust for inflation the R5 costs about the same as the 5D4 did at launch. For that you get a fantastic stills camera that destroys the 5D4 in every single category PLUS you get a video camera that can do a whole bunch of other things most of us won’t use much at all.

You say ‘lashing out two grand or more’ on video specs you don’t want - pardon me, but I have to toss the BS flag on that. Show me another stills camera from any other manufacturer that you can get for less money than the R5 that does what the R5 can - much less for ’two grand or more’ less..

That camera doesn’t exist.

Think about what the 5D4 could do and what it cost at launch. Now adjust for inflation and look at the price of the R5. My 5D4 cost me $3586 including tax In 2016. My R5 preorder cost me just $114 more out the door.

That’s not a bargain, that’s a steal. Even if it did no video AT ALL it’s a steal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I've said it before, but is this really the only issue people have with the specs (they're all specs because no-one has reviewed a production version yet)? I can remember not all that long ago people were reacting with disbelief about 8k being available at all (let alone uncropped) partly because of … heat issues! Or that the EOS R only had cropped 4k capability. Now 8k is (world first) available for an extended period , and the inevitable (laws of physics) heat issues are recognised and addressed by the camera telling you how long you have left to shoot.

I understand people wanting to tease out exactly what the video limits of the camera are, but presenting them as somehow a disappointment strikes me as negativity. But we're talking about the limits of the new class-leading camera. Everything has limits - including obviously everyone's patience.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I just closed and deleted my DPreview account and won't visit any rumour site anymore. All is just a playground of kids.

I was over at FStoppers yesterday (I drove fast and didn’t roll down the windows) and I was really disappointed in the tone of the conversations and the interaction between members. I’ve never joined, only lurked, but dang and yikes.

• Haha
Upvote 0